• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

millymollymoo V goldfish

millymollymoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh well here I go on my 1st claim back of the charges levied.:D

I sent the SAR off on 6/11/06 and received a NICE!!! letter back confirming receipt of my SAR and £10 payment and that my request will be concluded by 12th December. :eek:

Surprisingly,said if I have any further enquiries regarding my Data Access Request to write to him at the above address or call him on XXXX! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is this how they normally act? My account was closed in January 2006 after I paid the full balance and I thought I was going to get the standard 'we do not have your account details as Morgan Stanley do not have your.....blah blah nonsense and give me the run around.

I await my statements..............;)

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just thought I would update you as the deadline is approaching for the S.A.R.

Well, guess what I received this morning...... ONE statement!!! yes one dated 05 December 2006 , considering I have a closed account!!!!!!showing the £10 credit of the cheque and that no payment is required this month!!! Would you believe it!!!!

I phoned them this morning concerning this and the girl said it said that nowhere in the notes was there any info about my S.A.R request. However, I pointed it out to her that I had a letter dated 7th November from them confirming receipt of the S.A.R request and that it would be concluded by 12th December as they had aperiod of 40 days to comply. She changed her tune abit!!

She asked for my telephone number and promised they would ring monday 11th. I said to her that they only had till 12th december to send everything out, otherwise I would report them for non-compliance. Is this correct???

Any expert advice would be greatfully appreciated as I feel they are mucking about.:mad:

Hi is this okay for the wording on my prelim. I am claiming the contractual rate.

I calculate that you have taken £XXX.XX in penalty charges plus £XXX.XX which you have charged me in interest, I claim the contractual rate of interest at 21.4% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Cash Advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of today’s date is £XXX.XX. I should advise you that interest is accruing on a daily basis and early settlement of this claim is in your interest.

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter

Hi Milly

I find individual threads are a bit lonely. Not much happens with mine, but then again, I'm keeping my cards close to my chest. That's why I mostly spend my time on the general interest threads.

That prelim looks OK to me, although I would perhaps add an introduction on the lines of "I request the repayment of unlawfully deducted penalty charges from my account."

And also, tell them that you require a response within 14 days.

HTH

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentaly posted this on the contractual interest thread!!!!

Hi:-)

I received a reply to my prelim from Goldfish.

It offers me a small amount of my charges back to a CLOSED account! Duh!

As you know I am claiming contractual interest on the amount and this is a part of the letter that states they will not pay it or any interest:

Regrettably, we are unable to reimburse interest on these amounts. goldfish allocate your payments to pay off your charges before other balances, therefore, you will not have incurred interest on these charges.

I intend to credit your account xxx.xx(CLOSED!!!!)

I ask for your help in answering this part of the letter on my rejection letter as he does not understand what contractual interst is by what I have read and I feel I need to explain it or should I ignore this part.

By the way the data controller is doing two jobs as he is now the liason officer!!!

Is there any cases I can add to the rejection letter.

Milly x

Here is the letter I have prepared. Please let me know what you think and any changes I should make.:)

Dear Mr

RE: Your Reference: xxxxx

Account Number - xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Thank you for your letter received today dated XX January 2007, with your offer of XXX in full and final settlement of my request for repayment dated XX January 2007. I would like to inform you that I will not be accepting this offer.

As previously stated in my letter, with attached schedule of charges. I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees and over limit charges, returned direct debit payments, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would again draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken a total of XXX in late payment penalty charges. I also claim contractual interest for the sums which you have taken as of the date of this letter of XXXX at a rate of XXXXX% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your current cash advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of the date of this letter is £XXXX

I enclose a revised schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

Page 2.

Furthermore, I would draw your attention that the above account was closed in XXXXXXX and the full balance settled. I therefore request that the refund of penalty charges and interest requested, be made payable to me by cheque as I no longer have access to this account and no balance to yourselves is owing.

I also would like to remind you that my letter dated xxx January was a request for the return of penalty charges unlawfully taken from my account and not a complaint as you have suggested with your enclosed Step-by-Step Guide.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest, plus my costs, without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

MIllymollymoo

Here is the letter I have prepared. Please let me know what you think and any changes I should make.:)

Dear Mr Cleminson,

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

RE: Your Reference: xxxxx

Account Number - xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Thank you for your letter received today dated XX January 2007, with your offer of XXX in full and final settlement of my request for repayment dated XX January 2007. I would like to inform you that I will not be accepting this offer.

You state that no interest would have been applied to these charges, however in applying the charges you have applied additional interest to any outstanding balance on the account which is directly proportional to the charge itself. Therefore my claim for interest is still valid and will be included in any court claim I may need to make.

As previously stated in my letter, with attached schedule of charges. I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees and over limit charges, returned direct debit payments, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would again draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken a total of XXX in late payment penalty charges. I also claim contractual interest for the sums which you have taken as of the date of this letter of XXXX at a rate of XXXXX% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your current cash advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of the date of this letter is £XXXX

I enclose a revised schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

Page 2.

Furthermore, I would draw your attention that the above account was closed in XXXXXXX and the full balance settled. I therefore request that the refund of penalty charges and interest requested, be made payable to me by cheque as I no longer have access to this account and no balance to yourselves is owing.

I also would like to remind you that my letter dated xxx January was a request for the return of penalty charges unlawfully taken from my account and not a complaint as you have suggested with your enclosed Step-by-Step Guide.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest, plus my costs, without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

MIllymollymoo

try adding the red bits in Milly :D

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Oh and before I forget Milly, I notice you didnt get much initial response to your thread. Mods and site helpers spend a lot of time on the forums but unfortunately we cannot keep track of every thread.

We tend to follow some threads where we have some sort of active interest (maybe we have a similar claim) and then stumble over other threads as I have with yours.

If you ever need a quick reply just PM one of us and we will come running :D

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Thank you tamadus:)

Love the bit in red:D

I really would appreciate all your excellent advice as to my claim ...goodness knows I am going to need it even more so.

Now the balls rolling:D

Milly X:)

I am going to send this on Monday

Thank you tamadus:)

Love the bit in red:D

I really would appreciate all your excellent advice as to my claim ...goodness knows I am going to need it even more so.

Now the balls rolling:D

Milly X:)

I am going to send this on Monday

No problem Milly, just shout or PM me :)

Hi Milly - it looks like Tam's got you sorted OK. But if this is of any use, here's a recent e-mail skirmish I had regarding being paid into a closed account. I'm awaiting a result on this one, but it worked for me previously with MBNA & Crap One. Comments from Tam appreciated, too, if any.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----

Sent: XXXX

To: XXXX

Subject: XXXX Claim Number XXXX

Dear Sirs

I have been dealing with the above claim and note from your letter of XXXX your contention that reimbursement of XXXX has not been received.

As your account was overdrawn at the time of the refund, the refund was applied to the credit card account which is shown on the relevant account statements.

As such it is our contention that the matter has been resolved and that you have no reasonable grounds for proceeding with it. Should we be unable to reach agreement we will request an appropriate order from the court.

XXXX.

Dear XX,

Thank you for your email (copied below).

The account to which you claim to have credited the amount was closed in 2005.

I thus have no access to the amount you claim to have paid me, even if you do, yourselves.

This is clearly unsatisfactory, and I must insist that you immediately send full payment by cheque.

I appreciate that we have recently celebrated Christmas and Hogmanay, and so in a spirit of goodwill, I offered you a final opportunity to defend the above claim by doing so within seven days of my letter of X/X/X. Presumably, you have chosen not to file a defence, in which case I shall submit my request for judgment unless I immediately receive full settlement by cheque.

Please be aware that full settlement includes settlement of para. 5 (d) of my claim, which provides for an increase of £X.XX per day until settlement. This is currently an additional £X.XX.

If, however, you do still intend to defend, then I would suggest that, having originally charged us unlawfully, and then admitted the claim by paying the amount into our closed account, XXXX reconsiders its’ current misappropriation of our money, as I do not consider their action will be seen favourably by the court.

May I also bring to your attention my claim no. XXXX in the XXXX County Court for repayment of Late Fees debited to account no. XXXX. XXXX have also filed an intention to defend the claim, but to date, no such defence appears to have been filed. Again, I offer you a further seven days in which to do so, or settle the claim fully by cheque.

Please be aware that I offer you these final options as a gesture of goodwill, and a record to go on file that I have done all I reasonably can to assist you in settling this matter outside of the courtroom. I will be producing a copy of this, and any subsequent email messages if required, in court.

Thank you for your attention to these matters, and I look forward to your early response.

Bill-k.

looks to me like you have them sorted Bill,

this is almost similar to one I am doing for my ex wife at the moment.

sent SAR to A&L over her closed and fully settled credit card account, to which, eventually MBNA replied asking for personal info and a cheque for £10 which A&L cashed weeks before.

couple of letters with NO other ID or payment and they finally replied that the data was on its way, but in the meantime the charges amount to £174 of which we recently refunded £70 (they hadn't). This was before I even knew what the charges amounted to.

Sent a claim in for charges plus interest and left the cheque sitting there and waiting for their reply now. So effectively they have admitted they are at fault over them already.

Thanx bill excellent letter.

They really have not got a clue have they:rolleyes: I have entered info about this on my LBA, so lets see if it gets read.

I cannot believe how quick goldfish replied to my prelim though. I sent it 2nd Jan!

Milly X