Bank charged me £75 for being overdrawn by £5!!!

Bobbles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, this is a bit weird - I just joined a few weeks back and was getting familiar with the website when I became overdrawn, (I haven't been overdrawn for a long time), and I received a letter from my bank because they couldn't pay on of my Standing Orders, so they're gonna charge me £30 then a day later I received another letter charging me £35 because they did pay the Standing Order which made me overdrawn by £5! :???: The letters' contradict themselves! I'm unemployed at the moment and really can't afford to pay such a fee. I wasn't able to send the 1st letter because there wasn't enough money in my account to cover the £10 charge!:evil: How can I stop them from taking this money from my account? I think I should go and see them but what if they say that they're gonna take the money anyway? It'll make me overdrawn again!:Cry: Has anyone got any advice for me please? All help appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Bobbles,

I would pop into your local branch with both letters as they contradict as you say, and see if you can get something sorted, explain your situation etc. They may be sympathetic (?), stranger things have happened!

If you have older charges though, take a good look at the site and see what you want to do regarding them. Lots of people on the site will help you if you want to take things further.

Good luck,

Fzrkitten.

Fzrkitten

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frzkitten and all,

I thought I'd let you know that I went to my bank and told them that I have been reading this website and that they should not be charging me £75 for going overdrawn and that they're making a lot of money out of my misfortunes. I also told them that I had sent in my first letter to request my statement of last six years and I expect to receive a full refund. Eventually, he said that he would cancel the £75 charge! Result! :D He also advised me that if I were to become overdrawn again to let him know and he will cancel the charges again. :shock:

I think if you show that you are confident and understand your rights, they should back down. And thanks to this website I did.

So here's hoping I get a refund of the last six years' charges.

Good luck everyone!

Bobbles

Hey Bobbles.

Well done you , what a result;) This should really give you a confidence boost for the challenge you have ahead you.

As for the other charges, as long as you follow the steps necessary you will eventually get back what is rightfully yours.

Make sure you read as much as you possibly can before you embark on any court proceedings. As mistakes can be costly.

With the OFT test case, you have a good chance of lifting any possible stays against your claim if you are in receipt of certain benefits, jobseekers being one of them. There is also a possibility of getting help with the court fees. But first things first, get copies of your statements.

Below are some useful links:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/108091-oft-banks-dont-panic.html?highlight=OFT+test+case

Good luck with it all and make sure you keep us posted.

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Don't want to hijack your thread but Lloyds have charged me just over £700 this month for unpaid dds + interest. Do you think if I go in and see them on Monday they'll give it me back.............I don't but you never know.

Don't want to hijack your thread but Lloyds have charged me just over £700 this month for unpaid dds + interest. Do you think if I go in and see them on Monday they'll give it me back.............I don't but you never know.

Hi chipbeck,

I think you've answered your own question hun:)

In light of the current situation, it's worth a try. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no and all you have to do is start the process of requesting your statements (if you already haven't got them) and send the PRELIM letter.

However, if they say yes, well it's a lot better than a kick in the teeth aint it:D

Make sure you post in your own banks forum and keep us up to date with your progress.

Good luck.

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Hi muggins73, thank you for your reply and advice. :cool: I will keep you all posted. Bobbles

no probs, 'tis all part of the service:razz:

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just to update, it happened to me again, I got overdrawn and the bank wanted to charge me £110, through no fault of my own, I've been really messed about with benefits (this is sorted now at long last) but it got me overdrawn again. As I said before the Bank Manager promised to remove the charges because of my situation. Well, different story when I tried to contact him about it, I left messages about four times over two weeks for him to contact me but he didn't. So I went down there and insisted that I see him that day. Which I did and he said that he could not remove the charges because he got told off for doing it last time. :evil: I refused to accept that and told him that I would not leave his office until he does! He got the Branch Manager, who was a stern, evil woman who spoke down to me. I argued with her stating that their charges are unacceptable, especially under the circumstances, she would not budge, but I made it clear that the Personal Manager had promised to remove the charges because he sympathised with my situation. The Personal Manager admitted to the Branch Manager that he did say that and with that she said, well if he promised you then he will have to do it, but it won't be allowed again and with that she got on her broomstick and left! :-D

I think part of the trick to getting your own way with these people is to be assertive and firmly state what you want and expect without shouting or swearing.

I've just sent my second letter requesting bank charges over last six years which amounted to £1,097. Here's hoping.:roll:

Well done you! I bet the manager chappie was in trouble after you left:p. They are really behaving badly at the moment - I was charged £39 for being 79p short for a dd by halifax and whilst at one time they would have refunded it they refused cos of the pending test case. So now I am after them for about £300.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON