Halifax Offered Pittance And Defaulted Me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been offered £180 in full and final settlement of my £837 bank charges which I am, of course, only accepting as an interim offer and pursuing them for the full amount.

Two days after receiving my claim they issued a default notice because they say I'm not sticking to the agreement of repaying the overlimit on my overdraft. They have only queried it once before and then asked for the increased amount in their letter. It then reverted back to the lower amount. I am paying £63 per month as set out in their monthly reminder, and have done for the last 6 months, but they now want £77 as it doesn't include interest. The default notice is giving me to 12 July to pay the overlimit amount of £203, but they have phoned me at all times of the day from 8am to 9pm asking for this money and when I can pay. A Manager was supposed to have phoned me, but hasn't. I asked the Call Centre woman to stop phoning me and to deal with me by letter, but she said they can't. She didn't want to listen to what I had to say and hung up. I have written and complained to the Financial Ombudsman and now wait his response.

Should I send Halifax the letter (S10 I think it is) regarding the default notice?

Marian G

Do a search on this forum for 'harrassment' as the law protects you against the bank constantly phoning you up to chase you for wonga - essentially send them a letter stating they should desist immediately (quote the relevant laws, esp Administration of Justice Act) and ask them to carry out all future communications in writing.

The default should immediately be challenged, yes, as it seems the entire overdraft is related to their charges ?

Weird that I'm in a similar state (overdrawn due to their charges) but they fail to make me an offer or issue a default ? Inconsistency and, in your case, a very definite streak of mean-spiritedness.

Take a look here for dealing with harrassment

mechs

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks for the tips regarding harrassment. Have read the letter and copied it. I will be typing it up and sending it to the Halifax post haste!

Your advice is most welcome. Thanks again.

Marian G

Marian - Section 10 immediately.

Write separately to tel them that the debt is "in dispute" and that any further action taken by the bank in respect of this account will be dealt with through the courts.

Post the section 10, get a certificate of postage from any post office (unless you are feeling flush and send it special delivery) - they have 21 days from receipt to response to it.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.