Operated on for no reason!

Sunshine2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help me.

In November last year, i had a mirena coil fitted. During December i was feeling pain ect in my lower stomach, so i went to the docs who couldnt "find" the coil.

The doctor sent me straight to hospital and i had a x-ray, with the coil being plastic it was hard for the docs to see it on a x-ray so i waited a week and had a scan.

Waited for a week or so and got a appointment (apprantly the consultant had asked for a urgent app to be sent out, but inever got it? :s )

Anyhoo's i was told, the coil had perforated my womb and was touching my left ovary and there was a 6cm blood clot there.

I, at this point was hysterical, thinking it could effect my chances of having children again.

A week later, i had a laparoscopy,(camera thru bellybutton) hysteroscopy (camera thru vagina) and a d and c.

After coming round from the operation, i was told everything was fine and the coil was actually in the right place??

My doc sent a letter out in January to the doctor who read the scan and told me what apprantly was up with me, but there is still no reply? Is there anything i could do?

The only thing that is annoying me at the moment, is a year ago i had a operation on my bellybutton due to being left with a horrible scar from a hernia operation, now this has been worse, ah well.

I'm wondering if there was a scan mix up and some poor woman is walking around in agony?

By the sounds of it the scan's been misinterpreted, easy enough to do when looking for a plastic coil on an x-ray. I would just be grateful they've operated and found that everything's ok, rather than either operating and finding things weren't ok or, worse, not operating and finding out things aren't ok when major problems appear!

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you have had a very tough time of it.

You seem to be having trouble getting a response from the doctors involved, despite help from your GP.

The best thing to do is contact the Patient Liason Department at the hospital and talk to them. They can often arrange a meeting with the team that was responsible for your care in hospital, to give you a chance to be heard, and for them to explain things better to you.

Scans and xrays are difficult to interpret sometimes, but the doctors looking after you should explain their uncertainty to you BEFORE suregry, not spring it on you afterwards - they need to learn from this to be less confident (or cocky?) next time.

I hope you are better after what must have been a trying time.

Click on my scales if this helps!

:D <-- MazzaB, financial warrior! (*with a little help from my [real] flexible friends.......*) Bank ---> :mad:

:) Please click on my scales if you find my comments helpful! (or ya think i'm sexy ;))

• 2 weeks later...

I had a medical complaint and ended up suing and winning against the NHS for £ 1/4m (they settled earlier this year).

As part of our building and contents insurance we had legal cover thrown in - it was this through this cover that my concerns were passed onto solicitors who establised I had better than 50% chance of winning the claim - so they handled the claim at no cost to myself - and won (after 3 years).

It may be worth while initially checking policy documents to see if you have such cover in place - the cost of going it alone could be quite tough (medical reports, examinations, etc, etc).

Hope this is of some help.