Damn & Blast A & L

Rob S
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently found this forum, having fallen foul of Alliance & Leicesters penalty charges for exceeding my overdraft limit by £26 ( as a result of an unexpected vets bill of £530). I was looking at two £25 charges and additional interest and other fees. I was looking forward to a good fight with them over the charges, having had the usual response from them after writing to them to explain the circumstances. And then what did they do??? They wrote to me and asked me to phone them and then they told me they would be refunding the charges!!!!!! What complete and utter b'stards!!!! I was so looking forward to taking this one all the way!!!

LOL They are being devious and trying to catch us off guard by being reasonable. Don't trust them!:D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

LOL - haven't you got any more???

As it happens, I just might have!:) Checked my Nationwide credit card statement online this afternoon and found they had hit me with a £20 late payment charge and £4.36 in interest. I was a day late in getting the payment to them! I phoned them and they have refunded the late payment charge but not the interest. Cocky git on the phone when I mentioned the OFT recommendations of no more than a £12 fee said "its just a suggestion".Looks like I could have my battle after all:D

Guest Mumofthreeboys
As it happens, I just might have!:) Checked my Nationwide credit card statement online this afternoon and found they had hit me with a £20 late payment charge and £4.36 in interest. I was a day late in getting the payment to them! I phoned them and they have refunded the late payment charge but not the interest. Cocky git on the phone when I mentioned the OFT recommendations of no more than a £12 fee said "its just a suggestion".Looks like I could have my battle after all:D

Unleash hell!!!!!! :D

Buggers!! I got the statement in the post and noticed the payment date for next month was the 9th (it had been the 6th this month) so I phoned Nationwide up to see if they would do anything about the interest, and much to my surprise they agreed to withdraw the interest charge, in addition to the £20 late payment fee. I was so looking forward to locking horns with them too:)

Can you come and do all mine for me please? You must be on a lucky streak :p

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

:( You really aren't having much luck are you. Do you know I phones Sainsburys and Marbles about £20 charges this week, and both of them coughed up without a murmur. It shouldn't be allowed.;-)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It looks like some of them are capitulating on recent charges - but this is only because they don't really have a leg to stand on, they know now that what they are doing is wrong.

However, don't forget the real problem here guys - they are still digging in their heels over past charges and making people fight for them, and as far as A&L are concerned [i don't know whether any other banks or financial institutions are acting the same], fighting dirty with threats of account closure.

Looking through some of the case histories here, it would be difficult to forget the real problem with the banks and building socities. I've been fortunate in the last 10-15 years and haven't had to deal with crap from them like some have, but I had the same issues with Nat West in the late 80's, whacking on outrageous charges for silly little things. Its a shame that a forum like this one wasn't around back then, but at least I learnt from the experience.

It looks like some of them are capitulating on recent charges - but this is only because they don't really have a leg to stand on, they know now that what they are doing is wrong.

However, don't forget the real problem here guys - they are still digging in their heels over past charges and making people fight for them, and as far as A&L are concerned [i don't know whether any other banks or financial institutions are acting the same], fighting dirty with threats of account closure.

No way am I forgetting either. You are right these are recent charges so easier to deal with. In total I am after at least £5,000 from various places, so take it very seriously. This is just a bit of light relief from the heavier issues.