• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Welcome Finance Settlement Figure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

3 years ago I took out a secured loan with Welcome (against my better judgement but it was necessary at the time).

I borrowed £10000 over 10 years and am now in a position to settle the loan - at least, I thought I was.

I have just received a settlement figure from them and having repaid them £12,001 over 3 years, the settlement they require is a staggering £14,400. Incidentally, this is £1000 MORE than the settlement figure they quoted me 2 years ago.

I don't think I want to pay them that much but before I go in guns blazing, does anyone have any thoughts on how I should approach it?

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you requested a statement of your account ? I am guessing your loan rate was variable and has gone up in line with interest rates. Send them an SAR at least that way you are going to find out where all these "extras came from. Good luck . They obviously don't know who they are dealing with. ;)

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Have you been in arrears with them?

Also, did you take out "optional" insurances with them and did they charge you for Indemnity insurance too? These are both points that you could potentially challenge.

Send them a SAR with your £10 fee and you will find out exactly what they are charging for. My friend recently sent an SAR to Welcome and they responded surprisingly quickly.

They obviously don't know who they are dealing with. ;)

Ain't that the truth:D

I've got a full breakdown of the settlement figure and the biggest issue is that they only want to refund £6000 of interest out of the original £24000 added to the original loan, in spite of the fact there is still 7 years of the original 10 to go.

As for arrears, there was one month when I took a payment holiday after the PPI refused to pay out when I was long term sick because it was a recurrence of a condition I had received treatment for 9 years previously. That amount was brought up to date the following month.

I've decided to take the direct approach with them as I need to sort it out so I can complete my mortgage. This is holding everyone up at the moment. I've sent them a nice letter, with copies to their Compliance Department and to Trading Standards.

Welcome Finance

XXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXX

Dear Sirs

Agreement Number XXXXXXXXX

I refer to your Settlement Statement dated 14th June 2007 and frankly I am staggered by the amount you seem to think you are entitled to.

The loan has been in existence for 3 years and in that time I have paid £12,001.88 in repayment of a loan of £10,000 and you are now quoting a settlement figure of £14,400.69. This figure is actually £1000 higher than was quoted on 31st May 2005, in spite of a further £8000 in repayments.

I did think at first that this was an administrative error on your part but simple and brief research makes it clear that this is not the case and extortion of this nature is standard business practice for Welcome Finance (extortion – an excessive or exorbitant charge. (Oxford English Dictionary)).

For comparison, a loan of £10,000 over 3 years with Bank of Scotland would have a total repayment of £10,934. With GE Money, that figure would be £10,972 and even a high risk lender such as Norton Finance would only charge £11,682. Welcome Finance - £26002.57. Extortion is a very mild word really.

I am prepared to make a payment of £2000 in settlement of this loan, making a total repayment of £14,001.88. This amount is significantly higher than I would have made to any other lender I have been able to obtain figures from at this time and I would therefore consider it reasonable.

Copies of this letter have been sent to your Compliance Department and to Trading Standards. Please confirm your acceptance of this offer in writing to my solicitors:

XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXX

Upon receipt of your acceptance, cleared funds will be sent not later than 1st July 2007 .

Yours faithfully

The Cobbett Slayer

That will be on the managers desk in the morning so we'll see what happens next.

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Go get 'em!

There are some very dubious methods of calculating settlements for some of these loans. I am looking at my friend's loan with Hurstanger which was for £3500 over 25 years. As it happens he is in arrears and has incurred a lot of charges, but even if he had made all the payments correctly the redemption figure right now (after 3.5 years) would be over £4700.

I believe the rebate figure is calculated in line with the 1983 repayment regulations of the 1974 Consumer Credit Act. If you can understand the calculation of this you're a better man (or woman) than me.

i am currently contesting the same issue with them. i think your main problem is with the single payment premium PPI, healthcar and others applied at the start of the loan.

My circumstances are below

borrowed 3000

PPI 879

healthcare 200

other 350

total 4449

then you start paying interest at 50% on the full amount. i made payments for 8 months out of a 18 month loan and still had to pay them settlement of 4000.

i'm going for the ppi, healthcare, other and interest applied to them at their rate of 50%.

i am in a similar situation my loan for a car was £9,799 + total insurances including ppi of £4,185.11 intrest charged at 23.5%

i have paid £466.63 monthly over 16 months = £5,327.52

out of the 48 month period and i am now in a position to pay off the loan, but they quoted me £12,090 settlement fee?

It beggars belief they can get away with these sorts of charges, but i will follow your lead and send a letter to the head office and offer them a reasonable fee..

can you keep us up to date with your progress, that would be greatly appreciated..

I'll certainly keep the thread updated. So far I've heard nothing but it's only been 2 days since they would have got the letter so that's not really surprising.

Maybe Admin could give us a Welcome Finance sub forum as this looks like it's going to be a fair sized issue.

i have been looking at the early settlemt section of the The Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004

and there are some quite clear examples of how the settlement figures should be calculated.

it would appear that welcome finace must have developed their own in order to come up with the figures they presented to me.

I wonder if this could be any angle to bring them to book with.

for instance with a £10,000 loan and settlement after one year, according to the formula specified in the regulations you'd only pay back £14,927.57 !!! taking into account monies already paid

Thanks for that Goodluva.

I've had a brief look at it and it has to be said that algebra isn't my strong point so I'm going to have a look at it in more detail when I have time and see what I can work out.

At the moment Welcome Finance are standing firm and refusing to even negotiate. I'm looking in more detail at the UTCCA but at the moment they are holding me to ransom!

keep at em corbett

I was also reading elsewhere that due to the current climate of bad debt and such, authorities have said that the use of rule 78 to calculate early settlments shouldnot be used, because this restricts peoples abilities to lift themselves out of debt, therefore courts will look unfavourably on anyone (ab)using rule 78.

Mabye the moderators will have a little more information on Rule 78

But we will at least be able to argue the charges claimed for early settlements are unfair.

I personally will be going for this once i have recived my details from welcome.

I have some information from my solicitor that might be useful to anyone who has a secured loan with Welcome.

I will share that information once my mortgage is completed - as we know, big brother is watching but what I know now puts any Welcome secured loan customer in a very strong position.

Bear with me for the next few days and I'll tell you.

i would seek advice from some of the people on here who have had the experience of loans, i took hp for a car which I gather is sligtly different, but the outcome is always the same you end up out of pocket

I have some information from my solicitor that might be useful to anyone who has a secured loan with Welcome.

I will share that information once my mortgage is completed - as we know, big brother is watching but what I know now puts any Welcome secured loan customer in a very strong position.

I for one would be interested as I have a judge looking at my claim in the next few days, it is secured but have only applied for penalty fees at the moment, I have already worked out the agreement is unenforceable, has sky high insurances and fees I never asked for and is still, ten years on, never gone down, in fact seems to have increased? they have really messed my life up, I wish they would be dealt with by the authorities!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

and whats worrying is how they prevent folk from getting away from them! it s daylight robbery!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Please tell......

I too took out a secured loan with WF for £5000 & ins £7200 in ... 2002 I have paid £7564 to date and they want a further £8100 to settle, I sold the property the secured loan was supposed to be against in 2004, my solicitor advised me I didn't have to pay the loan off as there was no 2nd charge on the property, I have paid most of time and made up some back payments until February this year, I advised them that I would not be making any further payments until a reasonable settle figure could be obtained, I have requested my cca (delivered to them today) but the problem is, I am right in the middle of a mortgage application and they want evidence that the loan is not secured - it's not enough that I don't live there any more or I don't own a property, they want proof that this is not a mortgage, because it appears on my credit file as a mortgage.

So any help appreciated please

• NatWest - Settled in full 8 weeks after LBA (without interest)
  • Capital One - LBA 27th July - Offered & paid £28 - Rejected - settled
  • Monument - LBA 18th July - Offer 19th July - Refused - settled

• WFS - 8 Point Complaint - awaiting response - Failed CCA Request - awaiting response - Awaiting S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) info

***WFS Written Off £8k 01/08/07***

Monument sent my info even tho i forgot to send payment!!! Thanx Monumnet

curious, I will have do some more checking, are their secured loans secure or not?

I was about to take out a £5000 loan with Welcome. Im seriously thinking against it now!

Sorry for not seeing this earlier - had my feet up in Spain:D If you ever get the chance to go to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao do it.

Back to topic, my advice would be not to take out a loan with Welcome unless you have absolutely no other options. I have just had a letter back from them which in a nutshell says "we've looked at your complaint, sod off, hope you are happy with the way this has been dealt with."

I'm not and I will be taking it to the FOS.

With regard to security, Welcome appear to register a Unilateral Notice with the Land Registry. My understanding of this, and I stress IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING AND YOU SHOULD CHECK THIS WITH YOUR OWN SOLICITOR is that an interest is noted on the property deeds and in the event of the "secured" property being sold, it acts as a warning to the purchaser that there is a "security".

Under the Land Registration Act 1925, this was known as a caution. When the Act was amended in 2002, cautions were replaced by notices but the effect is still the same. As far as I am able to ascertain, Welcome cannot reposess your house, but they can claim their money in the event of the first charge being reposessed.

For anyone in this position, I stress again - CHECK THIS BEFORE YOU GO TOO FAR! I'M NOT A SOLICITOR AND I ACCEPT NO LIABILITY FOR PASSING ON WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD.

interesting, thanks, so can they prevent you from remortgaging if you are in dispute about a so called secured loan that is unenforceable, is it necessary to go into court to have it declared unenforceable by a judge before can remortgage, (first mortgage is not with them)??

interesting, thanks, so can they prevent you from remortgaging if you are in dispute about a so called secured loan that is unenforceable, is it necessary to go into court to have it declared unenforceable by a judge before can remortgage, (first mortgage is not with them)??

That would depend on the attitude of the primary lender.

As there is no actual security on the property in regard to the Welcome loan, my personal position is that my primary lender are happy to proceed with the mortgage as Welcome will always have second charge.

If Welcome have actually registered a charge (rather than a Notice), you will need to request a Deed of Postponement. This is a legal deed that ensures that the primary lender has first charge over the property and Welcome could not reposess without the consent of the primary lender. Welcome charge £75+VAT for the deed. A unilateral notice cannot be postponed so the deed is unnecessary.

so if unilateral and I approach another lender surely they will discover any notice and then the need for the deed but I have never given my mortgage account details or deed or anything to welcome.

A Unilateral Notice cannot be postponed and don't let Welcome tell you otherwise.

The Unilateral Notice is purely cautionary to anyone else who may have a financial interest in the property. If there is sufficient capital in the property to meet the registered notice, a primary lender shouldn't have a problem with it.