• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hubby's potential Insolvency / bankruptcy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi red, interested to hear your story - we are in similar situation and I was advised to go BR over 18 months ago due to business related debts also. I have held back and made arrangements with creditors so far, because i do not want to lose my home. OH and I have between 10 and 30K of equity depending on whose valuation you take. We have always thought that receiver would base valuation on forced sale value which is substantially less than true market value. I have talked to lucky people who have gone BR and the house has never even been asked about. But I wish you every success and am interested to hear what does happen. My IP friend didn't seem to think it would be a problem. I seriously think though that the half of the equity you need to buy out should be based on how much you would get if OR auctioned it rather than if you put it on market with smell of fresh coffee and bread baking in the oven.

Linda

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Red, My IP friend said I didn't have enough income to set up iva and advised me to go BR. But my OH did lots of negotiating with creditors and got all but one (Clydesdale) to freeze interest and accept substantially reduced payments on the basis that it was better than nothing. That was about 18 months ago - I have now asked them all to accept £1 each short term on advice of CAB as our secured loan (GE Money - NASTY people) was in arrears - still negotiating on that one. IP also said credit card people don't like IVAs as most of money goes to IP and they don't actually get their money until the end of the IVA.

I am sure you can talk to OR about the house - I would be interested to know how they value it. Do they just take your word for it? Another thing I have just learned which applies in my case is that when we bought house OH had a 9K grant from council on right to buy which means he owns more of the equity in the house than I do - I have spoken to solicitor about this and she says we can set up a trust which means if I do go BR I only own 2/3 of the equity and not half.

My house smells of tobacco too!

Linda

BANK CHARGES

Others

Have found out from a friend who had IVA that they got three independent valuations of his house and took the lowest figure.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Red, unless it is a Ferrari they can;'t take the tools of your trade. Even if car is registered in hubby's name he is not necessarily legal owner. If it is going to stop you earning a living - or make it difficult you should be able to do something about this. If it is a normal sort of car I think you should question this.

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 3 months later...

Red I wonder if they are trying to work out who paid the original deposit. If you had paid it (please let this be the case) then you would own proportionally more of the equity than him and it wouldn't be worth them respossessing. (It's all to do with trust law). Like say the house cost 50K and you paid a deposit of 10K out of your own money then you would own the house at a ratio of 30:20 - or 60% of the equity would be yours and 40% his.

• Haha 1

BANK CHARGES

Others

If it wasn't in your favour you just wouldn't mention it, but if for example you had paid it then you could argue it. My OH had a £9000 grant towards buying our house and we were told we could use that to say he owned more equity (as I was contemplating bankruptcy at the time), however the grant was eventually put in our joint names because the mortgage lender insisted on it, so that argument went out of the window.

There is another issue - if you have paid the mortgage payments out of your earnings this could affect your share as well.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I suspect the tenants in common thing could be errr back dated:p

BANK CHARGES

Others

Haha, that would be pushing it I think. They also need to value your house at forced sale value so I understand.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Most of the caselaw I know about involves houses that were owned by the husband only (from the bad old days:D) where the wife was able to claim part of the equity because she had contributed to the deposit/paid the mortgage etc, or even done major building work!! But it is worth arguing that your salary, if it was a lot more than his, paid a larger chunk of the mortgage and that you therefore have more of a claim on the house than 50%. I think like the car you can put up a fight - I certainly would.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Red I stand to be corrected but think the courts can order a variation from the assumed position if there is evidence to show that the equity should have been apportioned differently. Having learned about all this recently I was amazed that when OH and I bought our house the conveyancing solicitor registered the house in our joint names without discussing anything with us (we aren't married). Which is standard practice no doubt. But I think (and again i could be wrong) that if you were able to present an argument that you owned more than 50% of the equity in a court hearing you might succeed - and this might be enough to put the IP off.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I was representing my friend in repossession hearing and I was quite confident I thought. However we had to go down the stairs in the court and my legs went really wobbly - is it the effect courts have on us? ;)

BANK CHARGES

Others

I was talking to a client who has been 'inside' about something I had heard whereby if someone is guilty they sleep like a baby in the cells the night before the trial, whereas innocent people pace the floor all night. He reckons that is true, cos if you know it's a fair 'cop' you are relaxed about it ;).

Red is the IP sort of on your side/trying to help, or is he/she just an extension of the OR?

BANK CHARGES

Others

I have heard that in many cases they leave your house alone. I don't quite understand how some people do lose their home and some are OK - but hopefully you will be one of the ones who survive:p As you say though it is going to be hanging over your head - this is one of the concerns we had when I was considering bankruptcy. How did the IP decide he had no beneficial interest by the way?

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 2 weeks later...

No longer the Inland Revenue:D They have lost their priority status.

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 2 weeks later...

Weird - I am the same red - only trusted people get my mobile number. I changed it after Abbey got me to agree to a payment I couldn't afford while I was driving:mad:.

BANK CHARGES

Others

I doubt you will ever know - unless of course they call you again. I would think they would have to disclose where they got your number from even if you use the data protection act.

My OH has a cunning plan which is paying off with our business callers. When he registered our details with Yell he gave them a false name. You would be amazed how many time wasters ring and ask for that person - so we know exactly who has sold our information on.....:D

BANK CHARGES

Others