HELP -DCA helped themselves to money!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I had a Next Directory account that had been passed to Howard Cohen. It was for £988.

They first of all told me it had to be payed in full, then agreed to let me pay it over 3 months. I managed the first 2 months, but this month still ove them £325. I am waiting for some extra money to come in, so I called them last weeks and explained that I couldn't meet this months payment at the moment.

The guy I spoke to agreed that I could make a token payment of £50, and that they would give me until the 15th May to pay the balance or else start court proceedings. I asked him to remove my bank card details from their records as I could not have them trying to take money from my account, as my mortgage is due etc.

He confirmed and assured me that they would not do this. I told him to remove my card details, yet todayt they have helped themselves to the remaining £275.

I am LIVID. I cannot afford to be out of pocket at the moment for this as I have bills due that will be returned by the bank. I am desparate to call them, but wondering if you can give me any advice on what to say. I DID NOT instruct/allow them to take this payment.

HELP!!!!!!!!

THANKS

Thanks

Surely it is illegal to help themselves to money from my debit card.

I am so angry.

Should I call and speak to the very same person at the DCA and see what they say in the morning.

Also, if I call my bank and explain that I did not authorise this payment from my card, how will they deal with it and how quickly will they refund the money to me.

Thanks for your help

Hi Redgirl,

when I had a similar situation I contacted my bank who gave me a separate telephone number to call about the incorrect debit.

I had to give info over the phone, and the money was refunded by the card company that day. The relevant department in the bank then dealt with the claim on my behalf, and I had no further dealings and a full refund.

But if the DCA have your card details and because they have acted dubiously already it may be wise to tell the bank that you have lost your debit card, and then they will re-issue you with a new card which will have a new number and your old card will not be able to be debited. I know its a hassle but if you are concerned, it may save you some grief!

Sorry I cannot advise you as to their actions, as to the legalities, but it sounds so wrong!

Red

Which bank is this?

They should AFAIK refund it straight away as you haven't authorised it.

Don't tell the bank that you have lost your card, that is simply muddying the waters, if necassary ask them to issue you a new one to stop this happening again.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I called the bank (Halifax) first thing this morning. They asked me in the first instance to call the DCA and tell them that I did not authorise / request this payment to be taken from my debit card. If I have any problems, they will pass it to theiaud department.

So... I called Lewis Debt Recovery, spoke to the same guy as last week. He put me on hold and then said he would need to speak to a supervisor and call me back. I told him that this money that they have taken is part of my mortgage payment for this month, and that the bank will be passing it to their fraud department. He says he will call me back later on today. I told him it had to be dealt with this morning.

Will wait and see..

What happens if the bank pass it to their fraud department?

Thanks

If they have taken money from your account without authorisation it is IMHO fraud. The bank should refund your account, I would be quite insistent on that.

Lewis have comitted an offence, make sure that the bank changes your debit card details and I would report it to Trading standards and the police as well. In future only deal in writing - on the phone they lie.

Yes, the guy I spoke to assured me that it had already been refunded to my card. Surely they must know that they can't get away with helping themselves to money from debit cards - it must be fraudulent. He also told me that he had taken my card details off the system and I would have to call to make another payment.

I called them just after 9 this morning and he called back before 9.30, so hoping I can "trust" him.