• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Guidelines - Requests For An Original Agreement Under The Consumer Credit Act 1974

gizmo111
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bank or a DCA can apply for a County Court Judgement without ever having provided proof of a True copy of the signed executed agreement.!! :eek:

If the creditor/dca apply for the ccj, and the debtor fails to defend or request a set aside in the allowed time period, the creditor/dca can apply for a judgement by default. The view is taken by the courts that if there is contention, the creditor/dca should be able to supply the supporting documentation - without the defence or contention the creditor/dca has nothing to prove. Guilty by absence of defence!

The CCJ then becomes proof of a debt which could/should have been challenged - Thats why the CCJ's are diffcult/near impossible to remove regardless of whether or not you request a CCA to confirm it's legitimacy.

The moral of the story is, if you are threatened or served CCJ papers, defend/contend/force the creditor to prove the debt. There are DCA's out there laughing at the judicial system, purely because it is so easy to serve a CCJ on the 'Last Known Address' for a client. Even if they are advised of the new address of a debtor, they can still 'Track and Trace' the last known info (correct or not), serve a CCJ, get judgement by default - all without the debtor knowing that it's going on. I know - my sister had this happen to her - and the court could do nothing, believing the DCA had taken all reasonable steps to prove the address of a 'Delinquent Account'.

Hope I haven't waffled too much.

Perseus

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that. It makes sense. But I wonder if the courts would see it that way. As far as I can see not even Trading Standards seem to have much information or clout. Thanks again.

With Trading Standards, they seem reluctant to get involved in individual disputes, but once they receive enough complaints regarding a company on their patch, they'll start communications with them. OFT and even the FOS are a good bet, as immediately they begin their enquiries, it starts costing the company involved. So they start talking!

Failing that, the County Court is a good place to get things noticed, and with the right case/paperwork/support, there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve more, quicker and personally more gratifying.

:-)

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

When a creditor serves papers to enter a default, county court judgement - the defendant (debtor) should receive papers from the Creditor and court, offering the opportunity to defend or counter claim.

If no such defence/counterclaim is presented in time - (as debtors can against bank charge claims undefended) judgement can be applied for by default (not contested).

The county court judgement / default is then entered against the debtor.

the onus of proof is therefore removed as the debtor apparently is given the opportunity to defend and has declined.

Picking up on Belaflat's post - if the documents served in this process are never received by the debtor, the onus of proof is still required by the creditor to show the documents were served correctly, at the address of the debtor. The creditors have many tools availbale (electoral register, track and trace facilities, banking activity records etc) to confirm the address. If the debtor (say has moved and advised change of address) and the papers are not served - I understand it that a request for a set aside could certainly be heard and judged accordingly. It does depend on what steps you've taken to inform the DCA, and how you present to the court.

My sisters case was hard - the judge was not accomodating at all, and she didn't want to take an appeal any further for fear of adding costs.

Unfortunately, I have read so many posts recently, I'm wracking my brains to remember where I saw the supporting info for the above, if I find it - or someone could jump in - that would help!

Perseus

Isn't an overdraft provided as a means of extending credit at an agreed APR when used?

Georgie

You should reply back, strongly objecting to the fact the £1 statutory payment that was enclosed with a legal request, has now been mis-appropriated by them.

If they do not use the statutory fee for the purpose required under that request, you will be complaining to Trading Standards, OFT and a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman for misappropriation of funds (which falls under the Theft Act).

Also state that the original timescale applies, and they are now (or should be?) in default of this request.

A lot of banks try this one, then suddenly realise ' oh dear, we put it in the wrong place, we'll now do what you asked'...etc.

Perseus

Keep on 'em!

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
If they cannot produce the CCA the debt still exists you know what you could afford to get the matter ended once and for all. You negotiate wiht whoever is chasing you.

Sorry to disagree with this Gizmo...

Not only are you then acknowledging liability for an unenforceable debt, you are volunteering a payment against a debt that (other than moral if this is of concern) whilst the creditor is in default of supplying the CCA, you have no legal obligation to do so.

As many have said here - morals are less than abundent when OC's or DCA's are hounding/ harassing / failing in their legal obligations. I personally would not advocate acknowledging or admitting liability in this scenario, and given the correct approach, could not be forced to do so without THEIR obligations being met.

Each to their own I suppose!

ok, Barclays have now said that despite my letters they sent the account to RMA to recover the debt & as i am contesting it i need to seek my own legal advise, but they didnt know who i had to deal with (just a person from the BRU helpdesk) so im not sure what to do next, as RMA keep calling and after running round the houses looking for Linda @ Barclays.(no not the song :) ) they said its nothing to do with them.

the current situation is i have no written agreement as i was staff and they've agreed that, i wrote back regarding section 127 saying it was therefore unenforsable and to let RMA know, but they dont seem to want to and RMA wont stop as only a clear debt or Barclays can stop them.

As Joncris quoted earlier, have you checked your Terms & Conditions / employment contract to see if there is any mention of preferential staff finance schemes etc?

Unless it is covered under that, The original creditor and RMA are in breach of OFT664, CCA s77/78, breach of your principled rights from their disclosure to RMA (as no agreement exists expressly consenting to the sharing or disclosure of your personal data!)

Have you got it in writing that Barclays acknowledge no agreement exists?

Thats a good start....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks