• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Awful news Lloyds have taken the refund of bank charges back!! ***SORTED***

honory
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh yes, sorry - do one application with a request to join, as set out above.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What court should I submit the application to - could it be my local court? Burton is my local court yet it is not one of the courts that has dealt with our claims up to this point. Should I send it in or go into the court in person? Thanks for all the help by the way!!

The application can be made by post - send it to one of the courts you filed the claims at before.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Just posting to wish you all the best in getting your money back (again!) I would seriously contact the media too...tell Lloyds you will...then promise you won't, then still do it. See how they like it when promises are broken!!

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Honory - I would like to add my best wishes in getting your money back again. It will also be very interesting to see if your story does emerge in any of the National Press.

I've scoured several posts in the Lloyds TSB section, and this does seem to be an isolated case. However, once I'm successful in reclaiming my money back, I'll be sure to ensure I withdraw the funds and close the account immediately!

I am still completely stunned at how this has been allowed to happen? If it were me, I would certainly file for damages too! These surely are new lows in the tactics that the banks will employ.

Lloyds TSB

03/02/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

15/03/07 Received statements (exactly 40 days after SAR)

15/03/07 Sent Prelim

21/03/07 Received standard response ack. Prelim

29/03/07 Sent LBA

Halifax

15/03/07 SETTLED

Partial Settlement (75% of claim)

Honory,

This action by this financial institution is completely inexcusible.

I hope that your media contact will bring the full weight of public opinion down on them.

I hope they are severely fined and punished accordingly.

All the very best.

Gladstanes

Glad to hear that you are taking things under control - can not agree strongly enough with everyones comments about the media - this comes at a particularly bad time for the banks and you should expose them for all that they have attempted to do.

Good luck - please keep us posted.

Hi everone,

Feel bad that on a beautiful wekend like it is that I'm having to deal with ths again! However, I've had a go at drafting a letter/email to Diana Wright of the Sunday Times Money Section. Gay, I'd be grateful if you could cast a wie eye ove it before it it sent off. It would be a template for correspondence to ther media organisations as well and any contact addresses would be most welcome;

We are writing to you out of desperation having failed to make any headway ourselves. We are minded to put the problem we have with Lloyds TSB down more to cock up than conspiracy but if it is a deliberate move on their behalf then it is sinister and bodes ill for all account holders of Lloyds.

In October 2006 and January 2007 we had three claims against Lloyds for unfair bank charges settled by Lloyds, the money owed repaid into our joint account and personal current accounts. On the 19th March 2007 we had our final claim settled but noticed that somehow the claim had been added to another claim number (not ours) and we’d been refunded two amounts into two different accounts. On discovering this mistake, my wife phoned Lloyds Solicitors, Sechiari Clarke & Mitchell, who said they would look into the matter.

Late one evening on the 12th March 2007 I logged onto our accounts to check my balance before booking a business trip to Dublin. I was horrified to find two debits named 'BANK CHGE REVERSAL' on both my current and our joint accounts. Suffice to say Lloyds had reversed the awards to the tune of £456, £102 & £103.

The latter charge needed to be reversed as it was credited in error but both other claims had been settled out of court with solicitor’s letters to confirm and verify al payments. At no point did we sign any document to restrict the amount of claims we could file against Lloyds or agree to any conditions. We were more than happy to meet them in court as we were well advised and very confident of success given the relatively small amounts concerned.

We are on a tight budget and this reversal bounced us temporarily into unauthorised overdraft territory with charges and increased interest rates to boot. It also meant that the flights I so desperately needed could not be booked at a cheaper rate, resulting in additional costs of around £100 to myself.

As if this was not bad enough what has happened since the 21st March is flabbergasting! I have spent no less than eight hours on the phone to Customer Services, Collections Department and my Branch in Brackley and have travelled the 240 mile trip to my Branch (I live in Staffordshire) complete with difficult two year old in tow. To cut a very long story short, we were told by everyone we approached at Lloyds that they had not authorised the reversals and that they were in no position to help. Eventually, the Branch Manager (to his credit) concluded that the Customer Recovery Centre in Birmingham had authorised the reversals but despite his best efforts, he has not been able to get a response or explanation from this notorious department. His advice to me as my Branch Manager is to forget efforts on the phone and commit all correspondence to writing as he is powerless to move the matter forward at all.

We have contacted the Financial Ombudsman who have not heard a response from Lloyds despite a formal letter being sent to Lloyds giving them a week to respond to and acknowledge our formal complaint) and we have sent recorded delivery letters of complaint to the Branch, Customer Recovery Centre, Sechiari Clarke & Mitchell, the Customer Complaints Department of Lloyds and the Ombudsman, all to no avail. It was also left to me to do the investigation works to find out where the error had occurred and what Lloyds needed to do to put it right.

Whilst we appreciate your influence and wish for your help, we also consider it to be important that these tactics of Lloyds are exposed in the media if only to serve as a warning to others. We are totally disgusted with their behaviour to date and complete failure and inertia to take responsibility for their own mistake. We feel we are left with only one option and that is to embarrass them into investigating the matter further (we are still £650 poorer for the experience) and only regret not closing our accounts as soon as the claims were settled. If the thousands of other successful claimants against major high street banks are in any doubt, my advice to them would be to close all their accounts with their current bank and take their custom elsewhere.

In a time where banks are becoming increasingly disrespectful and take our custom so much for granted, I feel this is a news worthy story that only serves to highlight the bully boy tactics which now seem commonplace in this supposedly respectable industry.

We thank you in advance of any help you may be able to offer us.

Gay, I'd be grateful if you could cast a wie eye ove it before it it sent off.

hehe...I'm sure Gary won't mind.

Oh, letter looks good, Watchdog or Whistleblower could be interested in this one, especially due to the anguish that you have been through.

Anyway, hope you are keeping your heads above water.

Honory,

I think the letter certainly makes telling points.

However, could I just check the timings which may be a detail.

You say that the claim was settled on March 19.

You checked your account on March 12. Was this not before the claim was settled?

Otherwise it is great.

Regards

Gladstanes

Any closer to your money yet Honory?

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

No, to be honest, we don't expect any joy from Lloyds until the media gets wind of the story. We have managed to get a number for the department at Lloyds that deals with the claims though. Here it is for general consumption though a note of caution, it is constantly (and unsurprisingly) engaged - 01264 832297. We'll keep you all updated of progress as soon as anything changes.

Good Luck Honory

I hope the press make mince meat out of them

:mad:

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D

No, to be honest, we don't expect any joy from Lloyds until the media gets wind of the story. We have managed to get a number for the department at Lloyds that deals with the claims though. Here it is for general consumption though a note of caution, it is constantly (and unsurprisingly) engaged - 01264 832297. We'll keep you all updated of progress as soon as anything changes.

That number was enaged on a Sunday as well

subscribing

If I have managed to help you in anyway then please click my scales

:eek::evil::-D

Hi all ,we still have had no response from the letters we have sent or the media contact ( The Sunday Times) so need help (further media contacts would be good).

Gary H. , Bank Fodder hasn't got back to us yet - should we worry??? Every little bit of advice and support has been terrific - thank you all but it's not over yet!!!