Abbey clam advice

Indicar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. Back in October 2006 I had a situation where due to financial problems (caused by having to give up work to become a carer for my disabled father) 6 direct debits failed and 3 were re-presented so I ended up with a 315 quid debt. Basically I talked to them over the phone and they reversed a couple of the charges, but not all. Recently the informed me that they would be withdrawing my overdraft which is really going to hit me hard. What I really wanna do is reclaim the various charges that Abbey have made over the years. I just wanted to know if by having a couple of the charges reversed (a drop in the ocean) have I waived any right to make a claim?

Simple answer - NO!!

Good luck and follow the step by step system.

Read up as much as you can on this site, use the templates provided in the library and keep track of your timetable!

Have you got all your statements going back for 6 years? If not, then start with DPA request. The address to send it to is in a "sticky" at the top of this board and it's best to use recorded delivery for everything! :)

Hi Indicar

Have a good read of the vaious posts on this site. You'll soon see how you can claim back the charges, despite them having paid back/not taken a few of them.

Start by looking at a some of the threads here, so you can see what others have been/are going through. Have a look in the FAQ's and templates library, most of your questions should be answered somewhere on this site, you have to be prepared to read and find things out. If you can't find the answers you can ask and someone will either answer or tell you where to look!

You can get inspiration and moral support here too!

Good Luck!

:) KnellyK:)

Thnaks for the advice guys! I'm gonna post off my DPA letter today. It just makes me really mad that Abbey simply don't care. In December I started recieving 46 pounds a week in carer's allowance. Abbey were just happy for me to pay the whole lot into my account to repay the amount of the debt which had put me over my agreed overdraft. They didn't care that was all the income I had and might want to live! Wish me luck!

Hi Indicar

I don't think the bank can take your benefits and leave you with next to nothing. I'm no expert, but thankfully there are people here who are experts in all sorts of things. If you have a good root around this site you'll find, (in the bit called general debt) a sticky that says something like 'Is the bank taking your benefit?' Have a look at it because it tells you about the right of appropriation, it may apply to you and there's a letter template that you can use.

(You can see I'm not an expert because If I was I'd at least have been able to put the link here so you could just click! Sorry!)

Anyway, hope this helps! And Good Luck!

:) knellyK:)

Guest louis wu

Indi, now is definately the time to open a parachute account.

Have a look here, useful info on lots of different accounts

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-our-forum/58685-do-you-need-parachute.html

At the moment Abbey aren't supposed to touch your o/d, as your account is i dispute. I would write to them pointing that out, however, they will probably ignore you, but it may come in handy later if you decide to report them to the Financial Ombudsman (I know this from personal experience I'm afraid). Tell them you are requesting details from the banking standards board, and the FO, regarding the removal of O/D, and see what happens....nothing to lose.

At the end of the day though, if you open a parachute account, Abbey can do what they like . If they remove your o/d and charge you, claim the charges back at a later date;-)

Best of luck

Louis