• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming on a Business account? Lets join forces?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just managed to find a copy of "doing business with Nat West - our code of practice for business banking" dated March 1996. Does anyone know if this is the same as t&c's. In the booklet it refers to further booklets "ADvice of Account charging terms" "Advice of borrowing terms" and "Charges for business customers", which unfortunately I dont seem to have.

Unfortunately my scanner doesnt work but I can copy them and send them if it helps - let me know

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just managed to find a copy of "doing business with Nat West - our code of practice for business banking" dated March 1996. Does anyone know if this is the same as t&c's. In the booklet it refers to further booklets "ADvice of Account charging terms" "Advice of borrowing terms" and "Charges for business customers", which unfortunately I dont seem to have.

Unfortunately my scanner doesnt work but I can copy them and send them if it helps - let me know

I'm sure they could be useful.

Perhaps send a PM to Zootscoot, and I think they have a mailing address you can send stuff to.

regards

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

It is my understanding that if one party of a contract holds Unequal bargaining power over the other then this contract is unfair. How can a standard contract be fair?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Zoot, i have found some of my old terms and conditions on my Nat West business account between 1998 - 2005. Will put them in the post today.

Parky.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Zoot,

I also have various letters received from LloydsTSB at the time of such charges.

These clearly refer to the sums as being in consideration of of costs incurred dealing with such matters.

I also have a copy of the Business Banking code from 2005, which stipulates that the are bound by its' terms to provide 14 days notification of any "standard" account charges.

(Which given that such charges were often debited prior to, or shortly after any letters regards such charges were debited, means that such charges can clearly not be considered as being for "standard" account charges).

So, I still think that with regards to Business account claims, the laws regards Liquidated damages can still be invoked.

I shall email copies of the letters to you.

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Subscribing.

Nat West Business customer here, dont have any previous T&C (unfortunately I didnt keep them), however they're new T&C have just come through - with surprise, surprise charges going up.

Got stung in the past on this account so would like to persue it if possible.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Hi Enron

Natwest comes over as a nice nice bank and most people think they will never get charged. I refer people to this bank on a daily basis through my online business and charge a £75 fee for the referral. All application forms are taken care of and I even pass Natwest the ID on behalf of the customer. My customers never have to walk into the bank before there account is opened.

I follow up with my clients 4 months after they have there account opened. The vast majority of them incur charges of £20 -£30 i have found out. And refer allot of them to this site.

I know from reading other threads that before the waiver was introduced the banks were settling accounts when the customers had threatened court action.

I think it would be a shame if we let these folks down as most of them i deal with have debts over £70,000 (yes ouch) .

Which is why I always appear on this site as if I am pushing the matter which I most certainly am.

I would also be interested in pursuing this myself if any one has any ideas.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

Spoke to one of the admins in person at the beginning of this week.

Think that avenue's are being looked into for business penalty charges to be persued.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Spoke to one of the admins in person at the beginning of this week.

Think that avenue's are being looked into for business penalty charges to be persued.

Thanks Enron (and thanks to all other admin, mods & other site helpers)

I do hope that something can be worked out, because (as has been noted) there are a lot of Business claimants who've really fallen foul of these malicious practices, and taken a real serious beating. The double whammy has then been the knock on effect regards their personal accounts.

Thats good news - I'm waiting for a reply from Nat West from LBA letter at the moment. They have until the 14th to respond.

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

Doesnt particularly help that the banks seem to think they have got the better of the business customer.

Nat West charges have just gone up, and I would expect other banks to do likewise soon.

I thought I would bring this case to evryones attention which is being discussed on this thread. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/oft-test-case-updates/139905-oft-banks-round-one-31.html#post1516414

UK weights and measures legislation is of a Byzantine complexity. If a legislative assembly had chosen to confuse the public, then it has succeeded in this case.

In passing the 1972 European Communities Act, Parliament surrendered its sovereignty to the European Union.

Every national court must set aside any national law that conflicts with Community law. Implied repeal of the 1972 Act by the 1985 Weights and Measures Act cannot apply since the old principal which said that where two laws are incompatible the later one is good, is no longer relevant. The 1972 EC Act is a "bold new source of law".

The 1998 Human Rights Act is similar in nature to the 1972 EC Act. It states that the courts can overthrow any act that contravenes it in the future.

The European Union would be destroyed if states went on legislative frolics of their own.

Membership of the European Union is not entrenched. The 1972 Act may be repealed.

Link doesn't work, not on my machine anyway..

You must have an "imperial" computer !:D

Thats really interesting Josh. I am convinced there will be a way round the business charge problem. The banks and their huge legal teams up to the recent court case must have thought the law was against them. Otherwise they would not have paid out all the monies they did. I myself received £25K back. We will find a way through this and all you claimants will receive back what is rightfully yours. There is alot of thought and work being carried out at the moment. So don't despair and hang in there. This thread is now turning out to be a real centre piece for ideas and thoughts on the way forward with busines claims. Well done photoman and everyone.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Hi folks.

This is another verry interesting link from business link.

The Unfair Contract Terms Act | Business Link

It is not unreasonable to rely consumer law aparently if your a sole trader and the credit terms are under £25,000. please see link in previous post.

yes .... it states :

Sole traders count as businesses rather than consumers for any purchases they make in connection with their business activities. However, if the trader offers you credit terms up to £25,000 you receive the same protection as individuals under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for this element of the contract.

im going to report this link sowe can get some help on this one folks because i think this willchange things.

Sole traders count as businesses rather than consumers for any purchases they make in connection with their business activities. However, if the trader offers you credit terms up to £25,000 you receive the same protection as individuals under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for this element of the contract.
I'm not sure I understand this - who is being offered credit by whom? Is it saying the sole trader gets the same protection as an individual for loans (s)he takes out up to £25k or that an individual borrowing money from a sole trader does :confused:
im going to report this link sowe can get some help on this one folks because i think this willchange things.
What do you think it will change?

Something else here as well.

Remedies for breach of contract | Business Link

Hi Steven.

As a soltrader I have been told i dont have the same protection as a consumer. I understand this. But as a soletrader we do have a level of certain protection under the act thats in that link.

The soletrader that purchases the service off another company/soletrader is the consumer. Not the other way around.

Sorry steven but i dont understand the question.

Sorry steven but i dont understand the question.
Maybe I misunderstood, but you seemed to be implying that this was news that somehow change everything.

I'm a sole trader too - it is good to see that we do get some of the protection that consumers get.