• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Student Loans Co - Ignoring my letters !

zboo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I sent the Student Loans Company the letter asking for a copy of my credit agreement as I was told when I took it out that it was interest free until I started earning more than £15,000 a year. Recently when I got my first Annual Statement from them I saw that they have been charging me interest all along :-x

I wrote asking for a copy of the agreement with the template on this site before Xmas and I have had no response at all - What should I do ? ? ?

If they can't produce it I want them to write of my debt as I understand that they can't enforce it - however they take it directly from my wages at source and I don't know what to do next ? ? ?

Please Help

Zboo :p

• 2 weeks later...

but are they covered by the CCA other ways? much of the advice re SLC is based on the whole penalty charges argument so I am assuming with what the OFT has said about such charges this should apply to SLC also. confused:(

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

It is not a small loan as I understand it, a small loan is one under £50. It is surley a commercal loan as the SLC (spit) is a public limited company not a housing association or such as metioned in exepmtions in the 1974 act.

yes, I cant see why they would not come under the regs of 1974, I have had no reply to my request for copy of agreement either and they are wel overdue to reply. I have written again to say I owe them nothing, I never have met the earnings threshold, etc,

who or what is their complaints department??

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Ive tried going through thier complaints proceedure. They are supposed to reply and investigate complaints within 10 days, but not surprisingly they never do! There is 4 levels of complaint, an intial one which will come back telling you to go away as its all your fault that they are incompedent , you will get this within the ten days. You can then complain at the second level if you are unhappy still, my last complaint at this level took 40 days for a response and that was pretty simalar to the first one. After this you can complain directly to the directors, I sent a letter of complaint to them in november, I got a letter saying they would deal with the complaint 30 days later the only response I have had off them now is to be passed on yet again to a DCA. In theory you can complain further to an independant assesor but you have to have recived response from the directors before they will allow the asseor to see the complaint. I get the feeling the directors never respond to complaints as I dont belive they have a legal obligation to do so.

They failed for 2 years to note my new address I informed them of and failed to send me a deferal form so they, and honours student loans, want thousands of pounds I dont have. I have tried for 2 years to get them to do the decent thing and simply defer my loans but they just will not. So now I am in the process of the 1974 CCA thing, and I will take it all the way to the courts if I have to. I cant remeber actually signing the agreement so they will have to prove it.

Another point, at the application interview does anyone remember having the deferals proceedure laid out to them? I remeber being told I wouldnt have to pay it back unless I was earning a set amount per year but they never told me it was at the discresion of the SLC. I wonder if I and many others in the same situation have been legaly misled and missold this loan?

just rec'd copies of loan agreements, some properly executed, some not, but it clearly states

CONSUMER CREDIT AGREEMENT REGULATED BY THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

so therefore covered by all the regs of same

Zboo - they take it from you wages? IF so your on the new scheme not the old one (i.e. you started your uni degree after Aug 1998) in which case the system is regulated by its own piece of legistlation rather than the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (which the old system is on).

I'm on the old so I'm not sure about the new system and how you challenge it - you'd need to look into the law that was used to set it up in 1998.

But if you find out then let everyone know.

Thanks

The Badger