• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Do you need a parachute account?

barracad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have you thought of checking your credit file?

This may reveal that you have something in your past credit agreements (personal) that may be stopping you?

checkmyfile.com - Credit reference, Credit file, Credit score is worth a look (amongst others).

Hope this helps?

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait to start this ball rolling - I've looked at a number of posts and faqs - but who do i address the initial letter of request of information to? is it to my branch manager or RBS data controller?

Hi knognol

The first thing you want to do is see what/when/how many charges have been applied to your account.

You need to start a new thread for your particular case here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/ and send your SAR letter (1st step) found here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html . Then check this site Information Commissioners - Data Protection Public Register and type in Royal Bank of Scotland in the Name, press enter and check which company name matches the letterheads etc on your statement. It's likely to be here Information Commissioners - Data Protection Register - Entry Details .

If you address it to the Data Controller/Data Processing Officer at his address as above, send it special d if you can (for tracking/signature) or at least recorded delivery.

If you start your own thread as soon as possible, you'll have support from members on here - all the way!

All the best

Perseus

Hello

Am new to all this and just finding my way around. Hope to speak some more later. Not well up on computers :(

Hi Lakefield,

Just take it easy, you'll find plenty of help here, novices to experts alike are getting great results from great helpers on this site.

If you start your own thread from the main page, and look for the company you are dealing with (Abbey/MBNA/Alliance & Leicester) etc, just click on the heading, and find the 'New Thread' button - and type away.

Any problems, just ask

:-)

Perseus

yes how do i get one please reply

Hi Timbo

Depending on what your assessment of your credit rating is and using the list at the start of this thread - just call into a branch or apply online for 'another' account. The descriptions above will show what restrictions are around for people of lesser credit status. Natwest and Co-op are two that jump out for lesser credit but offer a debit card.

Once your new account is set up with/without a debit card, and you have arranged transfer of income and/or direct debits etc to the new one - you're good to go.

It is unusual to have an account closed because you are pursuing refund of charges etc - but it has happened. Alliance & Leicester have been pulled up and fined for doing just that, so it may have sent a warning to other banks not to!.

What ever your circumstances, if you need help just post here re this topic, or start your own thread for specific help, in the appropriate Bank section here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-action-group-against/ .

All the best

Perseus

Hello all,

I'm new to this also - so just saying hello and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Patrick :cool:

Hi Patrick

Wish you well in your pursuits, using this site.

Don't forget, start your own thread in which ever Bank Forum here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-action-group-against/ . You'll receive any help or advice needed.

All the best

Perseus

Hi purplepit and shrike

Alternatively, there is a fully comprehensive step by step guide on how to reclaim your charges, with full guidance notes and assistance examples/templates etc here on the CAG website.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

This should answer most/all of your questions, and if you should need any further help, start your own thread and ask a question - plenty of people will assist or try to answer any queries.

All the best

perseus

Hi Queen Vic

Obviously it is your choice.

In my opinion - reading a short set of instructions from the paper is informative but nowhere near as comprehensive, researched and supported as using the link I posted above.

There really is a wealth of knowledge, experience (first hand), case history, template letters, step-by-step guides with if, whens and why-fors here - and with just under 6000 people re-claiming just under £8million on this site alone - I think the figures speak for themselves.

All the best, and ask away if you need help!

Perseus

"Do i need to open up another bank account before i go ahead with my letter? or Can I send the letter off, & then open up anothe account? :confused:"

Queenvic - it would save time and potential worry.

The Banking Code, and a recent case against Alliance & Leicester should disuade Banks from retaliatory action (closing accounts etc) and although in principle it shouldn't happen - it can without too much warning. Especially if they believe that there is a breakdown in the 'relationship' or if they tell you that you have 'breached their terms and conditions'.

Probably best to apply for a new account asap, then on confirmation - send of your first letter (Subject Access Request) recorded del if poss.

JulesMA - Hi!

As stated above, it's not that common for account closures, but it has happened. If you have any reservations, best to try for a new account first - rearrange your direct debits etc, and send off your Subject Access Request. If your overdraft is equal or less to your total charges - you'll have an opportunity to clear your overdraft and it will cost you some patience, £10 for your SAR and some letters/stamps.

You'd both be well served by starting your own thread in the Bank Charges section under whichever bank you're with. That way, you can update your situation, ask for help, and receive some experienced guidance from members on here.

Wish you both well.

If in doubt ask!

Perseus

• Haha 1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

This is the very first step in helping yourself, and how to ask others for help!

Welcome Scott1e - have you already posted a question before or are you just introducing yourself.

Either way - there's plenty of help on here, any questions (making sure you've checked out the Frequently Asked Questions link above) just fire away.

Would be good to start your own thread on the main 'Reclaim bank Chrges page - then other members can help and advise specifically on your situation.

All the best

Perseus

Just passing on what I've learnt from you guys on here!

Cheers for the thumbs up!

x

Hi there make me happy...

With your case, I would highly recommend using the following link.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10

This will take you to a new thread in the HSBC Section.

Post all the info you can and what help you need. Members will be able to keep track of your thread, it's in the right place, and make sure it includes 'business' in your title.

All the best

Perseus

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone

I know this is of the subject not sure where to post this but can someone answer me why you dont send the added on interest of 8% with the first letter, and when i do send that or if not to?

Regards

Hi Charlie

Really - there's 2 options with attempting to claim interest on charges.

The 8% you quote is covered by s69 of the County Courts act. It is generally 'allowed' at the courts discretion as a reasonable amount of simple interest (ie one interest amount claimed on a total figure).

The reason why the 8% method is left until court is that under that act, and because it's at the courts discretion, you must apply for it as a consideration of the court when filing your claim.

Contractual compounded interest can be an amount (for example 29.9% apr) charged against you on your account (credit or bank) for unauthorised borrowing. "In the alternative" which is a phrase used when completing your N1 or MCOL claim form at court stage in your particulars of claim, If the unauthorised amount is not 'allowed' by the court, you can request consideration of the authroised borrowing rate' which may be (for example) 18% apr. Failing that, you can as a last resort request s69 interest at 8%.

The big difference is you can attempt to claim contractual compounded interest in your preliminary letter as you use a term in consideraion of 'mutuality and reciprocity in balance of fairness in contract terms' - part of the Unfair Terms of Consumer Credit Regulations . The interest applied here is - for example - 29.9% added to charges for year 1, then 29.9% added to total of charges for year 1 plus that years interest - plus 2nd years interest, year 3 is 29.9% interest added to 2nd years total plus charges for 3rd year plus 29.9% interest.

Sounds complicated, but there are some excellent spreadsheets available.

I'll supply the link;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/51736-excel-contractual-interest-spreadsheet.html?highlight=spreadsheet+1.9#post459566 and a good thread with some full explanations here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/51736-excel-contractual-interest-spreadsheet.html?highlight=spreadsheet+1.9 .

there are others too - if you look for Vampiress - she has some excellent on site, and google spreadsheets available.

Hope this all helps!

any further q's, please ask here or PM me!

You're welcome chancer, and good luck.

There are different spreadsheets for Bank claims, and Credit Card claims.

This link is for bank claims!

Perseus :)

• Haha 1

:) and thanks for the click!!!

Welcome Bella - and good luck with your account and pursuing your charges!

Perseus

Hi Serafina, and welcome.

Reading your post, you are certainly not alone in your troubles.

The first thing that may help, is to go and speak with someone at your bank. Explain to them what financial hardship you're facing, even be prepared to write down what income and outgoings you have on a monthly basis: Here is a link to national debtlines budget planner so you can prove your ins and outs:- National Debtline England & Wales | Personal Budget Sheet .

They may respond by reversing some charges/providing an overdraft temporarily, giving you a gesture of goodwill etc. Just make sure that if you have to sign anything - it doesn't limit any action you may wish to take regarding reclaiming charges.

Because, thats the very next thing you should do!

First of all - in the main Bank Charges forum - start your own thread in which-ever bank you are with. That way we can all help and advise.

Read the FAQ's to get a good idea of what/when/where/how it all works.

Send off your SAR request (with a borrowed £10 if need be) to get your statements.

The link for that is here:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html and send it recorded delivery.

Then just count the days and get ready to county the charges up.

Let us know how you get on ok?

All the best

Perseus

Hi bob

Yes it is always possible.

May be worth a personal visit to the branch, and ask them when they received it, when it was passed on to their compliance section, and ask why the cheque hasn't been cashed yet.

As it's face-to-face, you shouldn't get fobbed off as much as you would in a letter!

All the best

Perseus

Hi chancer

Yes - it's entirely possible that the banking organisations keep a separate database with all charges collected, and in a respectful and law conforming society they should return them.

The legal process that's followed by submitting the Subject Access Request should draw out all these charges, but the banks are well aware of the 'Statute of Limitations Act'. This basically limits their requirement, and your right to request information that is older than 6 years. There are other arguements and possible statutes that would force them in theory which for some - have been successful. In reality, the limitations act is a buffer they use to limit liability and the chance of previous charges being re-claimed.

In short - the DPA you quote is the right way to start that process of getting the info from their 'database'.

Regards

Perseus

• 2 weeks later...

hi Firecracker

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

no doubt they've covered their asses with the charge in the T&C's, and I suppose they can offset it against the set up of a new account that has not been active.

I believe there will be more banks starting to enforce activity charges soon - they have to find some way or re-cooping their losses...

I wouldn't start chasing them for a refund yet - they aren't to customer friendly at that, and blows your parachute!

Is there any chance you could stick a tenner in a month - just to keep it ticking over?

Pers

Understand that, and it's useful info to keep a perspective when parachute accounts are opened and left dormant - the new banks will get a little cheesed off waiting to see if you are going to use it or not.

Maybe by physically drawing some cash out of Barclays, and depositing it into the new account, it will keep them happier... if it's not needed after all, it's a way of saving too!

Pers

• 2 weeks later...
I went into the Halifax yesterday and promtly told that as I don't have 'a proper current account' (sic) and only a cashcard account, the Halifax will be changing the way that it deals with people with either an easycash or cashcard account. It'll mean, the cashier said, I will no longer be able to use counter facilities.:mad: Any idea if other banks/building societies are following suit? I haven't opened a parachute account yet as I've had to apply to the DVLA for a duplicate licence - it's the only form of ID that I have. When choosing another bank, I want to be able to use counter facilities like everyone else. I'm really angry with them and feel like a second class citizen.

Haven't heard of that before...

Maybe you could ask them when , and on what notice to you will their services be withdrawn - ask for the erms and Conditions that state their withdrawing those services. - Thats terrible.

Hi all, newbie here :)

After reading through this site I thought I would give it a go at reclaiming my bank charges. I've just sent by Data Protection Act to Lloyd TSB.

I was reading up about parachute accounts and just wondered if it was really necessary as I have a really bad credit history, no CCJ's just a lot of missed payments e.t.c on credit cards, direct debits and loans. I'm just thinking if I applied to a new bank they would take one look at my history and refuse my application?

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Some banks are happy enough to take in customers with adverse credit.

Citibank, Natwest for 2.

When (if) you go to another bank to see if they'll take you in - ask them when they do the application scoring through the credit reference agencies, if it will be registered as a seaarch for credit on your file. If you're not applying for an overdraft or credit card etc, ask them for a quotation search. It leaves no footprints on the CRA, and doesn't affect your history so to speak.

Perseus

• Haha 1