Business rates and magistrates court summons

MondeoST24
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got myself in a bit of bother with the local council, I basically owe them 1 months business rates in the sum of 338.10. I got ONE reminder then bang a magistrate court summons which says I must attend on 18th Jan.

Now, i've got no problem with paying the amount, its not something i'm trying to get out of, but the manner in which they've gone about it really disgusts me. They've now inevitably added £85 "costs" on as well.

Another thing that really bothers me is that along with the summons there is a red leaflet that says UNLESS YOU HAVE A VALID DEFENCE (AS OUTLINED BELOW) YOU DO NOT NEED TO ATTEND COURT.

It then lists examples which are and are not valid defences.

Who the hell are the council to decide what does and doesnt go in a court of law? Its disgusting.

I spoke to the council today and said I am sending the cheque for £338.10 today but I am not prepared to pay the costs, a snotty women said unless the costs are recieved IMMEDIATELY then the summons still stands.

In that case I will attend court and have my say, if i'm paying their "costs" then i think i'm entitled to a hearing.

Theres been loads of bad press recently about my local council which I haven't paid much attention to, now having been on the recieving end I think I agree with it.

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Who the hell are the council to decide what does and doesnt go in a court of law? Its disgusting.

It's not those muppets on Manchester Road is it?

Theres been loads of bad press recently about my local council which I haven't paid much attention to, now having been on the recieving end I think I agree with it.

And if so just laugh at todays local rag.

It's not those muppets on Manchester Road is it?

:D Spot on!

Saw the paper, I was one of the refunds!!

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers