• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OPS/DCB(L) 2xPCN's PAPLOC Now claimform - Machine said Not In Use - Llangrannog (Beach) car park, West Wales *** Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, thanks Peter, for pointing out that the contract between OPS and the landowner is up on the Llangrannog Welfare Committee website. I'll save myself the bother of uploading it then. The print is very small, so I think by the time I'd photographed it and converted it to PDF, it might not even have been legible.

Interesting bits of it are §10(c):

"OPS operate one service: HIGH STANDARD SERVICE

i) OPS will do their upmost (sic) to insure (sic) the customer gets a swift, professional service"

and §18(a):

"OPS agree that they will ... Provide the system for the parking ticket operations"

Poor English aside, I don't think they've complied with either of those clauses

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an email from OPS's solicitors saying their client is intending to proceed with the claim. It has a Directions Questionnaire attached, which I haven't opened.

They write "In due course, the Court will direct both parties to each file a directions questionnaire", so I'm assuming I just wait for that in the post?

Another question though, as the defendant, am I not entitled to have the claim heard at my nearest County Court?

• 1 year later...

Whilst on holiday, I parked my car twice in what looked like a public car park in a remote village in West Wales. I went to buy a ticket, but the ticket machine said Not in Use. There was an alternative means of payment offered by internet, but the internet connection in that part of the country is so weak, I gave up after 3 attempts.

I was probably a little naïve, but I never imagined they would slap a charge on me, given that paying to park there was nigh on impossible, but sure enough, a week or so later the letters arrived, and that's exactly what they did.

My appeal has been rejected, so I'm now debating whether to pay up (twice) or to go to POPLA and possibly end up having to pay more.

I didn't think at the time to photograph the Not In Use machine, so I have no real evidence to support my appeal. The only thing I could offer is entries on my credit card statement where I've paid for parking at other locations in Wales in the same week.

Any advice gratefully received

• 1 year later...

Thanks Dave, for your tip about posting from the penultimate page of the thread. Appears to be working for me.

I have received the Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track and the Directions Questionnaire.

I note that it has to be returned, and a copy sent to the claimant, by 30th December, which isn't long given the time of year and the Royal Mail strikes. It seems that I have to sign the form and so can't submit it online?

I think I'm clear on how to answer the questions, in particular

• I don't want the claim referred to Mediation
  • I agree that the Small Claims Track is the appropriate track for this case
  • I don't consider the case to be suitable for determination without a hearing

Thanks for your reply DX.

You have said YES to Mediation ... unless this is a Parking Ticket Claim. But it is a Parking Ticket Claim, so that will be a NO then? I can't see any point in agreeing to Mediation, unless I was prepared to pay some of the money they're now asking for, and if I was going to do that, I may as well have just paid the original penalty charge 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attached is my draft Witness Statement, hopefully sufficiently redacted.

The Notice of Allocation, paragraph 6, states "Each party must deliver to the other party and to the court office copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing, no later than 14 days before the hearing".

A few questions on this:

1. Do I send these copies directly to OPS or to their solicitors (DCB Legal)?
  2. I have already sent the BPA report and the contract between OPS and the car park owner to DCB. Do these need to be sent again? Or just to the court?
  3. I take it I have to include everything I might want to refer to, such as Trip Advisor reviews, newspaper articles and my other parking tickets?

Witness Statement Redacted.pdf

Thanks for your replies, Andy and Dave.

Re "Why have I already sent them", I can't remember exactly, but I was required to at the time they declared their intention to take me to court, I think. I got a whole load of bumph from them too, photos of my car and signage etc.

Re "Not nearly enough", surely quality over quantity? I'll await your more detailed reply, anyhow

Thanks Dave, for your detailed replies. I'll try and put together another draft. In the meantime, a few more questions:

1. I have messaged Sara Powell, but she doesn't have any case numbers. Is it worth emailing the Llangrannog Welfare Committee to see if they'll divulge the ones they understandably didn't want to put up on their website?
  2. The Unicorn Food Tax - I presume this is a term you have made up? Does it have a proper name?
  3. Aside from that though, the BPA code of practice §24.1b does say they're allowed to add up to £70 in debt recovery fees. Is there something else that contradicts this?
  4. Do I have to send paper copies of all the documents to DCBL and the court, or are electronic copies allowed?
  5. The "Statement of Truth" was copied verbatim from the Notice of Allocation I received, and it does say words to that effect anyhow

Gosh this is hard work. No wonder most people just pay up.

I have emailed Llangrannog Beach Welfare Committee re Case Numbers, and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, here's a 2nd draft of the witness statement.

So if I send paper copies of the statement + exhibits to the solicitors, and electronic copies to the court, is it OK to put them all in one ZIP file? And ok to include a link to the BPA Code of Practice, rather than copy the full document?

Witness Statement vn 2 Redacted.pdf

I have messaged the person on Money Saving Expert who won their case but haven't received a reply. It's possible they're not monitoring messages anymore, I guess?

Getting quite close to the 14 day deadline. Should I go with the WS we have now, and send it in?

Have failed the redaction test, yet again. Another attempt attached

Couldn't see a ref on p11, other than that of the contract which surely doesn't matter.

I think the claimants, if they're reading this, will have figured out who I am by now anyhow