• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WWW.MOUNTBATTENCARSALES.CO.UK/Close Brothers - Faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought that you weren't driving your current car and that it was parked off road

I'm not sure why you feel that you would need to write it off and how you could claim on insurance.

If you are simply suggesting that it is in such bad condition that it should be written off and that the insurance should pay, then I'm afraid that's not how insurance works.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Not from the insurance

They are ensuring you in the sense of an extended warranty whereby they indemnify you some extent in respect of the condition of the vehicle when you buy it.
Feel free to transfer your insurance because it's probably not doing much good on and off road vehicle – although if it was vandalised or stolen then the insurance would certainly be relevant

I don't think it will make much difference .

Please check the letter that you have posted above because I have made a couple of edits mainly to correct some grammar

You will never fully protect yourself.

The best you can do is to buy a vehicle through finance. Get it MOT'd again as quickly as you can after the purchase. See if you can get any other diagnostic testing from Halfords or somewhere. React quickly if there are any problems and come to us as early as possible

Presumably this email has come from Close Bros?

It is now time to decide to take legal action. Are you prepared to do this?

This means that you will send a letter of claim giving them 14 days and then on day 15 you will issue the claim.

No bluff, no delays, no prevarication, no being distracted by technical responses from the finance company.

No. You do it yourself. We never recommend solicitors and it would cost you a lot of money which you wouldn't get back anyway.

Start reading on this forum the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court.
Register on the County Court MoneyClaim website. Open an account and start preparing your claim. You can save your work as you go.

Here is a suggested draft letter of claim. Check it. Modify if you want but let us know and then send it off.

Don't forget that there is no bluff here. If you send the letter and then you don't follow through with your threat at exactly the time you have said you will then you may as well give up.

Dear XXX

Reference number XXX – Letter of Claim

Thank you for your reply dated XXX

It is completely consistent with your reputation for being a company which attempts to avoid its proper consumer obligations.

It is clear that the vehicle registration number XXX which you supplied to me under the hire purchase agreement is not of satisfactory quality.

I have supplied you with extensive documentation which shows this to be the case.

You have decided not to accept this on spurious grounds. It's about time that the matter before independent judge.

If you do not make arrangements to remove the vehicle on my property and to reimburse me in full within 14 days and also paid storage costs incurred by your unjustifiable refusal to step up, then I will sue you in the County Court for the sum owed plus interest plus costs.

Yours faithfully

• 3 weeks later...

It needs modification. Please check back tomorrow

Sorry, got sidetracked. Standby – but the principle is that you formulate your particulars of claim simply establishing a cause of action and without giving too much detail. In fact you give as little detail as possible so that you don't give any clues as to the response.

You let the other side commit themselves in their defence and you see what they have to say. Normally speaking they tend to give their game away.
It's sort of – I'll show you mine if you show me yours, but you must show me yours first.

If you were a fella, you'd understand.

I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a while and I have been trying to refresh my memory by scanning the five pages so far as this thread.
Please can you check the draft below and comment.

Anything that is wrong? Anything that is missing? Anything you would like to add?

I entered into a hire purchase agreement on XX date with the defendant in order to purchase a vehicle – make XX, model XX, registration number XX. Finance agreement number – XXX for £XX.
Within the first five months the vehicle demonstrated defects and is not of 
satisfactory quality.

The claimant was informed by the supplier that it was her responsibility and being unaware of her rights, she has proceeded to have certain repairs carried out at her own cost.

The vehicle is presently I drive the ball and is being stored on the claimant’s premises.
The supplier of the vehicle and the defendant have both been fully informed and have refused to take any action.

The claimant seeks full reimbursement of purchase price – £XXX

Reimbursement of repairs/improvement costs £XXX

Recently incurred expenses – insurance and so forth £XXX

The Defendant has been notified of a storage cost of £XX per day until the day of judgement or settlement of the issue.

Plus interest

Plus costs

Please post the draft here of whatever you decide to use before you click it off

Why should this be an action based on a credit card agreement?

Check the edits above. I have got you some extra space. However I have a feeling that there is another MoneyClaim beta website which allows you a greater word limit.

@dx100uk @Andyorch

But I've suddenly realised that the total comes to more than 10,000

I think we probably should have made it clear that we were seeking reimbursement of the money paid so far which would then all come to less than £10,000.

I have to put this when the directions questionnaire comes through

Sorry, I was adding the full value of the car to the 5,000 .

I was having a senior moment!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to point out, the moment that the deadline expires and they haven't responded, you should move to apply for judgement immediately .

Don't hang around .

Don't give them notice .

Don't come here and ask .

Just apply for the judgement and then you can come here and tell us.

Get the judgement and we will sort out the rest after

• 6 months later...

Have we seen the judgement?