• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brittania/BW Windscreen PCN Claimform - west Quay Retail Park Southampton SO15 1BA ***Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you've never come across these disgusting fleecers before then of course it's only natural to correspond to try to make them see sense.  However, it was always futile because they are, er, disgusting fleecers only interested in £££££.  All you've done is outed yourself as the driver and lost your protection under the Protection of Freedoms Act.

However, all is not lost, to put it mildly.  They are on a hiding to nothing in court.  You paid.  They suffered no loss.  Not displaying a ticket is legally "de minimis" (AKA "the law does not deal with trivialities").

That's apart from the fact that you did actually display your ticket.

Well done on keeping the ticket BTW.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Isn't there something displayed on the dashboard near your left windscreen wiper (I mean "left" as in when facing the vehicle)?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I was hoping it was the actual ticket, to completely scupper the fleecers' claim!

Unfortunately that means that the photos do show areas of the dashboard though.  Is it possible the ticket fell on the floor?

In your e-mails.  "I had parked".  "I had a valid parking ticket".  "I had a correctly displayed parking ticket".  "I did indeed have a valid ticket".  Etc.

Originally they didn't know who the driver was so the court would have considered whether their paperwork respected the Protection of Freedoms Act and thus created keeper liability - or not.  But now they do know who the driver was as you outed yourself.

Not the end of the world - but something to learn from for the future.

Their claim is still pants as you paid, they suffered no loss, and you can prove it.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, commonsensehasdied said:

I have to post these off tomorrow and I'm genuinely now at the point where it may just be better that I give in and pay the money. I genuinely don't know if I'm up to this.

The forum is quite happy to guide you but as dx says you need to read some similar threads to familiarise yourself with the court process.

It makes no sense to give in now, as costs are already included in the  fleecers' claim.  If you pay now, you pay £237.  If by some horror you lose in court - very, very unlikely but let's be pessimistic - you pay £237.  So it's obvious it makes sense to fight this.

In fact even if you were to lose in court it's highly likely the judge would disallow the £60 Unicorn Food Tax that the fleecers have made up and you'd pay £177..

I've just read your thread from the start.  A few things.

1.  You can e-mail the DQ to the court but you should never give the fleecers your e-mail address as they will send lies later on at one second to a court deadline and you'll have no chance to counter.  So send the fleecers their copy by snail mail and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.  Make damn sure your e-mail address is not shown on the copy of the DQ that you send to the charlatans.

2.  At some point in the future you will need to write to the fleecers and tell them not to correspond by e-mail, as you've already given them your e-mail address.  If you still have time you could kill two birds with the DQ.  Enclose a letter:

Dear Britannia Parking,

Re: claim no. XXXXX, PCN no. XXXXX

I enclose my Directions Questionnaire regarding the above-mentioned county court claim.

Kindly note that the e-mail address XXXXX@XXXXX used in the past for communications between us is absolutely not to be used for correspondence regarding the court claim.

Yours,

3.  Can you please upload the original PCN you got from them.  £90 is a strange amount and it would be good to see what they sent you.

Edited by FTMDave
Typos

• dx100uk changed the title to Brittania/BW Windscreen PCN Claimform - west Quay Retail Park Southampton SO15 1BA
On 19/08/2022 at 12:07, dx100uk said:

why does west Quay Retail Park Southampton SO15 1BA ring a bell with me here? @FTMDave

Not a place that springs to mind dx, at least with me.

• 3 months later...

The letter you have received is just hot air from the other side's paper tigers.  It's not from the court.  They are trying to put the wind up you.  Relax, laugh and ignore it.

But you would know this already if you'd been reading up and understanding the stages of the court process.  I'm sorry to hear about personal issues but there really is no other way.  Caggers who gen up win in court.  Those who don't, lose.  It really is as simple as that.

Please answer dx's questions when you get a moment.

When did the court order dated 9 November actually arrive?

So you didn't tell us for 16 days including two weekends when people could have helped with your Witness Statement.

Your refusal to put work into your case has now come back to bite, and bite hard, a WS is an important legal document and can't just be thrown together in a few hours.

You mention personal issues but sadly the court won't give a monkey's.

Thursday is a Bank Holiday where I live and I can use some of that free time to help you, but that will mean you missing the court deadline.  Generally a short delay will be overlooked by the court for a Litigant in Person.  Your call.  

• Like 2

Two further things.  As dx says, the pathetic attempt at a threatening letter by BW Legal in post 40 is not a WS. 

Have a look at the WS in post 191 here to see what they look like  

Hx Parking/gladstones CCJ - Exceeded 1hrs Free - McDonald's Alma Leisure Park Chesterfield CCJ issued thanks to useless parking fines ltd ***Claim Dismissed*** - Page 8 - Private Land Parking Enforcement - Consumer Action Group

(sometimes the post count gores wonky, if it's not post 191 it'll be a couple of posts above or below).

If they haven't sent theirs yet, that's good news, it's likely to be late, which means they can hardly moan about yours being late.

Did you send a CPR request when you got the claim form?

I'm at work now but promise to post in detail this late this evening about your WS.

A CPR request is mentioned on every single private parking claim form thread.

It's a request to the fleecers for documentation connected to their Particulars of Claim.

They generally never respond so we use the lack of response to embarrass them in the WS, especially about planning permission and their contract with the landowner.

More later.

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

22 minutes ago, commonsensehasdied said:

Can the CPR request be issued via MCOL - or do I need to send a hard copy to the claimant?

Asking as I'm conscious of needing to submit my WS by Wednesday at 1600hrs latest. 

After the loss of 16 days including two weekends I don't think you've got a hope in hell of getting a decent WS submitted by 4pm on Wednesday.

That's why I suggested 4pm on Thursday to take advantage of the time freed up by a Bank Holiday at this end.  You should be alright as (a) the courts give leeway to Litigants in Person and (b) the fleecers are likely to be late too.

But it's your call and you'd better decide straight away.

2 minutes ago, commonsensehasdied said:

Right now, I just need spoon-feeding and held by the hand, literally.

Thanks

Onto it in a few minutes, I've just knocked off work.

OK, have a look at the attachment in post 110 here  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421775-vcs-spycar-pcn-paploc-now-claimform-no-stopping-east-midlands-airport/page/5/#comments

If it's not in post 110 it'll be a couple of posts above or below, sometimes the post count goes wonky.

This is a superb WS, the layout of which can be your base.  By that I do not, absolutely do not mean you should use the same legal arguments, as the case is very different from yours.  I mean the layout.  Look at how Alaska101 sets out the introduction and the conclusion.  And how the clear headings show the judge instantly which legal arguments are being used.  

More in a mo ...

• Like 1

Your sections need to be -

1.  Sequence of Events - explain briefly how you got the ticket and how you tried to reason with the Claimant.

2.  No locus standi - the Claimant is not the landowner and you do not believe they have the authority from the landowner to bring claims in their own name.  You requested to see their contract with the landowner via CPR request but they refused to answer.

3.  Illegal signage - you believe they do not have planning permission for their signs which is a criminal offence.  No contract can be made where criminality is involved.  You requested to see proof of planning permission via CPR request but they refused to answer.  You have checked with the planning portal of the ????? council and have found no indication of planning permission being granted.

4.  De minimis.  You paid.  The Claimant suffered no loss.  You have proof.  You have bent over backwards to communicate such proof to the Claimant.  You believe the proof of payment was displayed but even if it had fluttered off the windscreen it would still have been clearly visible in the vehicle and the fact it might not have been exactly on the windscreens is "de minimis".

5.  Double Recovery.  Here you can nick almost all of Alaska101's section as the fleecers always make up extra sums and in this regard at least Alaska101's case is identical to yours.

You can finish with Alaska 101's Statement of Truth on page 8 of their WS.  Head it "Statement of Truth", Alaska 101 forgot to do so.

Don't worry about not using legalese.  The court wants your own words, not legalese.  if you can knock something up for this time tomorrow then there are a number of Night Owls, like me, who are on CAG this time of night and we can tweak further while aiming for the Thursday 4pm deadline.

Comments will follow from me and others regarding details in the various sections.

• Like 1

Regarding (2) and (3) your argument is weakened by not giving them a chance to respond to the CPR request.  Your call.  Either cut out anything to do with CPR, or include the CPR mentions and hope the court doesn't pick up on the letter being sent too late.  Tough one.  Your call.

Regarding (3), if you haven't already done so get on to the planning permission portal of the appropriate council tomorrow.  You don't have to spend hours.  if you can't find PP in 10 minutes that'll be 'cos it isn't there.

Regarding (4), which is your ace, include what is stated in the first paragraph of 6.2 of the government's Code of Practice  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-parking-code-of-practice/private-parking-code-of-practice#payment-of-a-parking-tariff  which was set up following the Parking (Code of Practice) Act 2019.  Point out that although the Code is being legally challenged on (a) the amount of allowed parking charges and (b) the addition of debt collection charges, it is not being challenged on this point.

A couple of final things to close the evening.

When you have knocked up a draft WS, given time is of the essence, please post it direct to thread like in post 81 (more or less, might be a few posts above or below) at  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/446738-hx-parkinggladstones-ccj-exceeded-1hrs-free-mcdonalds-alma-leisure-park-chesterfield-ccj-issued-thanks-to-useless-parking-fines-ltd-claim-dismissed/page/4/#comments

That way the regulars can tweak directly, without faffing around with attachments.

Also, in the ILLEGAL SIGNAGE section of that WS there is mention of the laws the PPCs break if they don't get PP, which you can use.

You don't mess around when you jump into gear, do you?  Great work.

Bits of tweaking can be done today by the regulars when we have time.

I take it no WS has turned up from the fleecers this morning?  If so good news re the timing.  There is no reason to rush to send yours if theirs hasn't arrived.

That really is superb work.

I've cut out the addresses at the start which aren't necessary.  I've also cut out your (15) and (17) which aren't applicable to your case.

Of course I've knackered the numbering but that can be dealt with later.

I see you've decided not to mention CPR.

I've put my tweaks in red so you can easily see them.

In (6) and (7) you refer to "multiple" attempts.  You do the same in (11).  It might be an idea to actually count the number of attempts you made to make the charlatans see sense and actually include that number in (11) rather than say "multiple" again, just to show how ludicrous the whole thing is and how you have bent over backwards to be reasonable.  

Good spot of the windscreen/dashboard conflicting instructions.

I've put in a provisional paragraph at the end attacking the fleecers for delivering their WS late, obviously that will have to go in the bin if their WS ever turns up.

Work calls now.  See what the other regulars have to say during the day.

Edited by FTMDave
Right balls-up by me

The more I think about it, the more I think you should wait till early afternoon on Thursday.  The reasons are:

1.  In the seven years I've been on this site, I've never seen a judge punish a Litigant-in-Person for being only 24 hours late.

2.  If you wait, the fleecers' WS may turn up and you'll have the chance to demolish it.

3.  If it doesn't turn up, then you can point out to the court how the fleecers are defying court orders and request their evidence not be allowed.  Win win.

• I agree 1

In (4.6) it's "in plain sight" not "in plain site".

Love the way you've calculated every attempt to talk sense into the thickos!

After your current (18) I would add another para just to sum up the section, as after all "De Minimis" is your ace.  Apologies for this knackering of the numbering - again!

19.  To sum up, it is contended that a valid ticket was always displayed.  Instead, had it fluttered down from the dashboard, it would have been clearly visible and such a breach would be "de minimis"".

The title of the section should be "De Minimis" not "De Minimus".

In (18) "taken place" not "took place".

The "Statement of Truth" shouldn't be numbered, not that it greatly matters.

You need to give each of your exhibits numbers, and when you refer to them in the WS refer to "exhibit 1", "exhibit 2", etc.

Edited by FTMDave
Typo

To answer your questions.

1.  You sign at the bottom after the Statement of Truth.

2.  Yes, it does.  It could then be any vehicle.  You need to show what happened on the day.

3.  You could, but I don't think it really matters.  Writing a lot to them doesn't make you in the right legally.  But mentioning how many times you've contacted them shows how willing you were to settle matters and shows them up as just pig-headed money-grabbers.

To avoid having to read through the whole thread, what's your e-mail situation with the fleecers?  I know most of the original contact was by e-mail.  Have you since told them to stop using e-mail to contact you?