• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PRA Group claim form - Barclaycard credit card

Boro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a few edits made above...check it over now.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

No that's not normal...speak to Northampton MCOL and check the status.....it could be that the claim was discontinued and you have not been informed.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 3 weeks later...

Notice of Allocation N157 is what you are now waiting for......this will contain the courts directions on preparation for a hearing.

post back once you receive this.

Andy

• 2 months later...

It is rather misleading when the court refers to a bundle in Small Claim Track and obviously more appropriate for the claimant has they will have more to disclose. As the defendant your " Bundle " will consist of a copy of the claim/defence/statement and any disclosures (IE your CCA/CPR requests and any responses and any other document (could be court documents) that you may wish to refer/rely on to support your defence/statement.

As for drafting your statement there are plenty of examples that I have already done for other users...its important that it is drafted in the correct format and complies with the CPR/Courts directions.

Take a look around and find examples and have a go at drafting....we will check it before your ready to submit.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need to include a copy of the claim & my defence as both the claimant and court will already have these

Its normal practice to include all documents and itemise...you will be surprised how inefficient some judges are and turn up with nothing

I would go with copies of the originals

4. Whilst it is accepted that the defendant has in the past had financial dealings with Barclays Bank, the defendant is unaware of what alleged debt the claimant refers, and the defendant has not entered into any contract with the Claimant.

They never stated you did read their particulars again.

Well yes as its not true...if you could hold off submitting it until Monday I will run through it over the weekend and finalise it Monday...requires work.

can the court copy be hand delivered and the claimants copy emailed to them?  Yes :thumb:

If you wish to add exhibits mark the relevant paragraph's with " see Exhibit no xxx"

Exhibits are only documents that you have referred to within your defence or statement and wish to rely on that document. So a copy of the claimform would not be required as an exhibit but it could be listed as a trial bundle document.

29 minutes ago, Boro said:

Okay, do you think it worth including the claim form and if so how do I go about doing it You add it to your trial bundle list not your witness statement exhibit

Filling in the blanks I noticed a couple of things, firstly the numbering, the intro is 1-3 and then background starts 3, should background be 4? Well yes obviously I have edited your original numbering

Under 10 it says For the above reasons the claim bought by the claimant is without merit and possibly an abuse of the court process, should it be brought and bought...brought but you typed that 😀

Thanks

Yes you can email the claimants copy.

So you now have your statement and any exhibits referred to and numbered/ attached to the statement, that goes today. 

Refer to your N157 directions re preparation of trial bundle and when to submit that...but if you want to do it all together that's okay and send the lot today.

So everything must be submitted by the 2nd Aug.....copy what the claimant has sent you ...statement   exhibits....trial bundle list/ docs.

Does these mean I also need to add a section on witnesses?

No you are the witness.

1 hour ago, Boro said:

The court copy will be hand delivered tomorrow before the deadline, claimants copy emailed hopefully today otherwise by deadline

Sorry more questions

The copy emailed to the claimant, is pdf format okay? Yes do I use my regular signature when signing the witness statement I send the claimant? Yes

When it comes to numbering is it acceptable to just write in pen ad the bottom of each page 1, 2 etc Yes

When you say statement you mean witness statement not financial statement right? Yes court claims do not involve financial statements

Where is the claimants trial bundle list, not sure if I have missed it or am being daft? there's a lot of background noise here at the moment so finding it hard...Perhaps they have missed it, you just list your documents

Sorry another question having just been re reading the claimants witness statement, should my witness statement have my address in it? No otherwise I would have left a space for it.

On 18/07/2022 at 15:16, Andyorch said:

It is rather misleading when the court refers to a bundle in Small Claim Track and obviously more appropriate for the claimant has they will have more to disclose. As the defendant your " Bundle " will consist of a copy of the claim/defence/statement and any disclosures (IE your CCA/CPR requests and any responses and any other document (could be court documents) that you may wish to refer/rely on to support your defence/statement.

As for drafting your statement there are plenty of examples that I have already done for other users...its important that it is drafted in the correct format and complies with the CPR/Courts directions.

Take a look around and find examples and have a go at drafting....we will check it before your ready to submit.

Andy.

As already explained previously...bundle normally only applies to Fast Track complicated claims where there are 100s of documents...but if you really want belt and braces.....

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416164-preparing-your-court-bundle/#comment-4983248

10 hours ago, Andyorch said:

If you wish to add exhibits mark the relevant paragraph's with " see Exhibit no xxx"

7.The defendant made a formal written request to the Claimant for them to provide a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement as entitled to do so under sections 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 on the XXth September 2021 along with the standard fee of £1.00 to which the defendant received a reply dated XXrd September 2021 putting their account on hold whilst they tried to gather the information. (See exhibit 1a CCA request)

Just looking at the statement again I cant see no mention of CPR 31.14 ?

2 hours ago, Boro said:

Did I read somewhere here or did I imagine it that I should include a copy of the claimants witness statement? No

With the copy of my defence should I print off the original I have save as a word doc or the court pdf copy that has reference only watermarks? Original either word doc or PDF irrelevant really as long as there is a copy in your bundle list

Yes add it before 7 and renumber. and finish the paragraph with (see exhibit 2a CPR 31.14)

Same as your number 7 but change section 78 CCA to CPR 31.14 and obviously the date you sent it. :classic_happy:

1 hour ago, Boro said:

Andy in addition to creating a section before 7 to cover the CPR request I think 8 probably needs tweaking due to the below

I sent CCA section 78 & CPR 31.14 requests both dated 17/09/21 to the claimant, I received a response dated 23/09/21 from the claimant acknowledging my CCA & putting my account on hold, I received a combined response to my CCA & CPR requests from the claimant dated 12/04/2022 this contained what they refer to as reconstituted agreement, historic & varied terms and conditions, statements, notice of default, notice of assignment and letter before claim

To me it looks as though they have provided 2 reconstituted agreements which I uploaded in the second pdf, could someone please confirm that they have sent two, the two combined are 28 pages, do I need to include all 28 pages of this as an exhibit with my witness statement

I want to keep this as simple as possible whilst still providing anything essential so what of the following should be included with my witness statement:

Copy of the claim form  Not with a Witness statement not required

Copy of my defence Not with a Witness statement not required

Copy of my CCA section 78 request Yes

Copy of my CPR 31.14 request Yes

Both reconstituted agreements, all 28 pages?  No just 1 set

Is there anything else I should include? Only if you have referred to anything in your statement and wish to rely on it..if you have not mentioned it you cant disclose it as an exhibit.

Sorry I know some of this has probably been answered but I have read this thread multiple times and the more times I read it the more confused I get

Thanks

So that's 3 exhibits as above to attach to the statement and numbered Exhibit 1a/2a/3a and marked same after the corresponding paragraph then attach an index sheet with the exhibits listed 1a/2a/3a  and named CCA request/CPR Request/ Reconstituted agreement.

Job done.

I must admit I have never in my time here on CAG spent so much time explaining how a witness statement and exhibits are put together...have you even looked at any other users examples ?

My last response here I have work stacking up.

Should the copy of the claim form and copy of my defence be included with the paperwork I send but not mentioned in the witness statement and listed in the index instead? Or should I leave them out altogether leave out no required court already has them

The two reconstituted agreements are different, one says that I have applied through moneysupermarket group (one referenced in witness statement I think) and the terms & conditions are different . Use both then

So with exhibits at the end of the relevant paragraph do I put: A copy of my CCA request exhibit 1A can be seen on page 4, mark the CCA request as page 4 or does the CCA request copy also need to say Exhibit 1A on it...the latter

Any thoughts on the wording or the alterations to the witness statement in respect to CCA & CPR requests? No nothing further

• 1 month later...

I wont be able to make the hearing if it goes ahead, I need to let the court and claimant know,

is there anything in particular that I need to say?

Ideally you should have attached a Notice to your statement informing the court/claimant sol of none attendance, the notice should state that pursuant to sec 27.9 CPR you will not be available for the hearing.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part27#27.9

Submit it ASAP

Andy