Parking in temporary "Pedestrian and cycle zone"?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here's something I'm hoping to clarify before I get in trouble for it:

There is a street close to where I live that was transformed into a temporary Pedestrian and Cycle Zone due to a school that's there. I know I can't enter it during those times, but can I be fined for having my car parked on that street while the zone is active? So far I have only heard one interpretation, from my neighbour, who said you can have your car parked there and you can exit the zone while it is operational, oddly enough, but before I take her word for it I want to get some more opinions on the matter.

For reference, here is what the Council's own website states: "It is an offence to enter or drive in an active school Street without a valid school street permit." (emphasis mine) Would this prove my neighbour right or can they still find a different interpretation to it that would carry the risk of a fine if I park my car there?

The sign for the zone is very similar to the image attached below, only different operating times.

Edit: to clarify, there are permits you can apply for if you actually live on that street, but I'm just outside that area. Also, there are no other parking restriction on the road that would apply.

pedestrian zone.png

Edited by WelshMotorist

you can't park there nor leave your car parked there during zonal times.?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

actual thats rather sweeping as long as you say there are NO other parking restriction that cover that section too.

if there are not, then i think you could leave your car there prior to the restriction times becoming operational, but cannot drive it out, as you would be driving within the zone with the restriction times. ?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My local authority has similar closures and their website says this. So your car can be parked in the zone and you can leave the zone. But if you drive into it you get a PCN.

What happens if my vehicle is parked on a school street, during the restricted times without a school street permit?

You will be able to leave without a penalty charge notice being issued.  

However, if you then return during the restricted hours, a penalty charge notice will automatically be issued. 

Here's another, which seems clear you can remain parked in it.

1. Southwark Council hereby GIVES NOTICE that on 5 November 2020 it has made the above experimental orders under sections 9 and 10 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 19841 .

2. The effects of the experimental orders are to introduce the timed ‘pedestrian and cycle zones’ listed below (physically enforced with traffic signs and the installation of temporary barriers) in which motor vehicles will be prohibited from entering during the listed hours of operation (note: ‘during term time’ implies Monday – Friday, except public holidays, during the school term as set by that school), except for vehicles requiring access to premises within or only accessible from within each pedestrian and cycle zone. Any vehicle that is already within a pedestrian and cycle zone prior to its commencement of operation will be permitted to leave, in the vicinity of the following schools: -

Edited by Ethel Street

Apologies for not replying, dx100uk, I read your first response too quickly and thought it was a statement.

I think it should be as Ethel Street said, you can leave the zone without being fined, just can't enter back into it. It matched what my neighbour told me.

I have sent a question over to our Council so I expect to have a more concrete answer sometime in the future and I will update this thread in case anyone else will have the same query.

3 hours ago, WelshMotorist said:

It is an offence to enter or drive in an active school Street

i think your council needs to revise their websites wording (if that Is what it does says?) IMHO, and simply remove the OR DRIVE. that's not needed as it's obvious! .....that would make it clear that people could exit .

and they

@WelshMotorist the legal power comes from Traffic Management Orders made by the local council under ss1,6 or 9 of the Road Traffic Act Management Act 1984. Each council drafts its own TMO so only your council can tell you the precise wording that applies in your local area, what their specific TMO says. But I'd expect it to follow the pattern of the TMOs I've seen online from a range of councils, all of which say it's only entering the zone that is an offence. Remaining parked in it and leaving it are permitted. There's one at the top of my road and it's enforced by ANPR cameras that only film ingoing vehicles.

One pain in the backside with them is that delivery vans cannot enter to deliver your online shopping that so many of us rely on at the moment. My local council helpfully suggests "...You should arrange for your item to be delivered outside of the restriction times..." despite the obvious impossibility in practice of making arrangements like that (good luck  with telling Amazon what time they can deliver to you!).

Edited by Ethel Street

Had a reply from the Council today. While they didn't specifically say the car can be parked there, they gave me this bit of info which I am reading as parking being allowed during those hours as long as you don't enter the street:

If your vehicle is parked in a school street and you need to remove the car, you can leave the street at anytime, but not enter during the prescribed times.

Hadn't even considered deliveries! I live just outside the catchment area so I've never had problems, but it does make me wonder how Royal Mail, DPD and the rest are handling these kinds of restrictions...