End of Assured Shorthold Tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have rented my current property for 8 years and have always signed and renewed my tenancy when it ends.  However, I am now in a position where I can put a deposit down on buying my own property when something suitable comes up.

My tenancy comes to an end at the end of October and the letting agent have asked for my intentions, their option being sign for 6 months or vacate the property (their original email to myself).

I queried the possibility of moving onto a periodic tenancy to which their response was this is not possible, only to resign my tenancy for 6 or 12 months or vacate the property.

Is this right? As I don't want to be tied into a tenancy if I have to move to a new property quickly or move to a new property to rent on a monthly basis only to move again within a short time.

Many thanks

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

My understanding is that's all periodic tenancies become a monthly rolling contract at the end. However we were told by our agent that was not the case and our yearly contract would end causing the landlord to serve notice. it will be interesting to find out the answer from someone that understands the legalities of this.

4 hours ago, dreadpiratesteve said:

I queried the possibility of moving onto a periodic tenancy to which their response was this is not possible, only to resign my tenancy for 6 or 12 months or vacate the property.

They are Wrong.

Typical letting agent don't have a clue !

The tenancy becomes periodic tenancy at the end of the fixed term  by law regardless of what a LA/LL say,  you do not have to sign another TA.

How to end a periodic tenancy, below url take you to shelters website

https://tinyurl.com/yxfwwk6v

Edited by 45002
url as usually

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Thanks 45002,

I did suspect that this was the case. 

I want to try and keep things civil with the letting agent to avoid an eviction notice until I am in a position to move out.

So my options are to either sign up for 6 months and hope that if something comes up I can drag it out,

Or ignore further communications from the letting agent (save for any eviction notices) and continue to pay the rent as normal?

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Any notice to seek possesion would have to provide you with six months notice anyway so you're safe from eviction for at least six months. That doesn't stop you from handing in your notice at any time. Just continue to pay rent as usual.

Edited by Will Goodfellow