had a minor bump - repairers say car is a write-off!! - help

rjh56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi just looking for some advice.

I was in a minor accident about 10 days ago, scuffed bumper, damaged headlight, dent in front wing.
Had the car looked at by a reputable local body shop and they gave a verbal estimate of about £1k of repairs.
Car is a  2013 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Match Edition 5d DSG (13 reg)  with 29K on the clock worth around £7.1 - 7.6k according to the online car evaluation tools .
Replacement i.e same spec and similar mileage are on sale for between £8.2 - £8.5k

Car went into the repairers a week ago.
Just checked progress and car is awaiting an engineer inspection.

They said it possible uneconomic repairs.
But based on the relatively minor body work damage I don't believe this should be classified as a write off, although I stress that’s not been confirmed by the insurance company as being the case.

Bottom line is I don't want this car written off what can I do to prevent this?

For example can I insist to my insurers that I get the car back from their approved body shop for an assessment at a repairer of my choice?

Can I cancel the claim and get the car repaired my self?  
Not being an insurance expert any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• dx100uk changed the title to had a minor bump - repairers say car is a write-off!! - help

Hi RJH and welcome to CAG

Can you give a bit more info about the accident :-

1. Was it your fault, the other party's fault, or disputed.

2. Do you have fully comp or a lesser level of insurance.

If the accident involved sufficient force, it's possible that the car's geometry needs checking after an accident. But I doubt that would mean the write-off of a car in a minor accident like you describe.

Others will come along to advise soon I hope. Until then, agree to nothing and keep any exchanges in writing by letter or email.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi slick132.

I have fully comp insurance. Yes, it was my fault. The car in front of me pulled away at a junction and then for some reason stopped in a marked chevron area to the left of the junction. I unfortunately clipped his rear offside. But the impact was very low speed.

There is no reason why you should have to agree to a write-off value.

Make sure you've got a full photographic record of all the damage – and if you don't have that now then go back to the garage and get it.

Inform the garage in writing that you want your own independent assessments carried out of the damage – also write to your insurance company on the same basis.

Make sure the garage knows that you want everything in writing including their estimate of the cost of repairs.

Start researching around and getting evidence of the resale value of vehicles which are identical to yours.

However, you will need to make sure that you get a proper written assessment of the damage which has been caused to your vehicle from the garage. They may come back and say that the damage was more extensive than you had believed because of course they will have carried out a close examination. You will need to get this corroborated by independent sources if you dispute it

• Like 1

So latest on this is that the engineer has assessed the car and the insurance company are offering £1150  (£1500-£350 excess) for me to get the repairs done elsewhere.  Seems like a reasonable solution.But to be sure I guess my next cause of action should be to get a detailed quote from my local body shop to see if the £1150 is a reasonable amount for the repairs. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, get your own body shop to give a written quote to repair the damage but don't tell them what's been offered by the other side or your own insurerer.

Is the £1150 the offer from your own insurer to repair the car.

Are they not suggesting to repair it for you and, if so, do they quote any figures.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Let's be clear, from reading your post, the insurance company believe that it will cost £1500 to effect repairs and after taking off the £350 excess are offering you £1150 for you to get the repairs done.

You should not expect a repairer to quote the lower figure, anything less than the £1500 will be a bonus.

• Like 1

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Thanks for the feedback  it is my understanding that the £1500 CIL from my own insurer is before deducting the £350 excess. They are not going to offer any more and are not offering to repair the car for me.  The reason is that there was a repair to the car that occurred before I bought it in February 2020,  that wasn't disclosed by the seller and didn't show up in any vehicle checks they are not happy with. so they want to limit their potential liability.

I have asked for a copy of the damage report / estimate so I know how the £1500 was arrived at and so I can assess what my repairer  quotes. So guess I will have to take a hit if the repair exceeds £1150.

Arrangements are being made to get the car delivered back to me so I can I can arrange the repair. So its a mixed outcome but success in my primary object of trying to ensure that the car wasn't written off.

Insurer won't write off the car as it would cost more than offer the CIL payment for repairs. They are very much into limiting the costs and liability on this one.

Shop around by showing a number of places the damage and ask for quotes. A new wing will cost what has been quoted but i bet a lot of places can get one froma breakers yard for £50 and then match it in so leaving you with a bill in the hundreds instead of thousands.

Shame you didnt investigate this before putting it in as an insurance job.