• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

maxine989 v NatWest ***WON***

maxine989
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just prepared my Prelim letter to send off to Natwest with a schedule of charges (actually it is for my hubby... but he's kind of left me to sort it all out being as I have already made a claim for my own charges with Barclays... plus he hasn't spent hours reading up on it like I have).

I am unsure where to send it to. Anyone know for sure??

There are so many different NatWest addresses it's a bit confusing.

Would appreciate a post from anyone to let me know.

Thanks, Maxine

Moodle

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send to the Borehamwood address, or your local branch. Does not make alot of odds. Send recorded delivery.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007

Lloyds TSB business account £1376.00 AQ filed

Lloyds TSB Business account settled in full 21.05.07

I'll send here

NatWest Bank

NatWest Customer Relations

FREEPOST NAT12685

BOREHAMWOOD

WD6 1BR

I never thought about recorded delivery... thanks for that. Will get the letter printed and upto the PO.

Moodle

That is the one. I send everything recored delivery as a matter of course, others do not bother, but probably not necessary with the prelim and LBA. But hey, it is only a £1.00 a letter.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Smile settled in full

Sort of related to this link as it is around the address. I'm just at the stage where I'm reading up on everything and getting the first letter together (1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges ) and my question is around this letter. Do I send this to my branch or somewhere else? I have not come across any advice as yet where this has to go.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks, T

Send to the Borehamwood address as in post 5 of this thread.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well 14 days has passed siced th Prelim letter and I haven't heard a peep from Natwest, so I have just printed off the LBA. My claim is on two NatWest accounts with excess charges totalling £4172.99 (with no interest added).

I have a few points I could do with a little help with please, if there's anyone out there able to....

1. I wasn't sure what to put about the contractual interest of 16.9%. I have been reading up a lot on it and it seems as though some people add it on at the beginning, some add the 8% instead and some add nothing until the final court action stage. I know we are advised not to claim the 8% until it gets the court stage, but why is this??? It seems many others have claimed 8% in in the prelim letter and still beed given a final settlement with the 8% at stage 2/3. I read some people have threatened to add the 16.9% in the LBA if it proceeds to court. It's all a little confusing. Have things changed since May when interest advice was originally posted?

2. Also.. another query. On my statements there were a few charges that were for the same amount as a returned DD, but had just the words 'charges' next to them. I have listed them as returned DD's on the schedule. What happens if my fingures are a little bit wrong. I don't think they are, but I am just wondering what the banks do when figures have small inaccuracies in them... does the claim get thrown out of court if it gets to that point???/

Please help some one... I have so many doubts going round in my head. It seems that as the number of people claiming back their charges increases... methods are changing...

A little advice in needed please... thanks

Maxine :oops::|

Moodle

I think it would be worth double checking your figures before you go legal, but do not delay with your LBA. On reflection I would have gone for contractual interest but did not. I would also emphasise that you intend to pursue this interest element in your LBA. Because you have a significant claim amount I think they will make this a protracted process for you, but hang in there.

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Smile settled in full

• 2 weeks later...

Still no sign of any correspondence from NatWest since I send the LBA on the 11th... it's strange, but when you don't hear anything, you start to worry that you have done something wrong... I am sure I haven't it just puts a bit of doubt in your mind.

I have a few questions if there's anyone out there who can help...

Is it too late for me to add contracual interest on at this stage (I've already sent the LBA)?

How do I know what the contractual % amount is?

How do I change my title in this thread so to get more responses..?

ANyone???? Please help... :-)

Merry Christmas and thank you for the help I have received so far.

Maxine

Moodle

Maxine,

Have a look at Vampiress spreadsheets, all the information you need is there on contractual interest. You will soon be going legal on this when you submit your claim. So now is the time detail your claim, have a look at the Particulars of Claim, and decide if you are going to submit your claim on line. Taking a multi national to court is quite a big deal, so you have to be prepared, however you will get all the support you need on this site.

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Smile settled in full

I had a look at Vamps sheets and am able to sus out the 8% spreadsheet, but can't figure out how to fill in the complex one, and how to add the contractual interest???

I have already sent LBA, but might add the contractual interest instead of the 8% when I complete the N1, but am not having luck using the sreadsheets. It would be useful to see one already filled in.

Any advice?

Moodle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Bill Knight and his super duper spreadies I was able to get my updated schedule of charges sorted, showing the 8% and the 16.9% compounded contractual interest.... Great stuff!

So last night I finished getting all the bits and bobs ready to take a walk down the court today and hand over the N1 etc...

Before I went to the court I had to pop into the NatWest branch in Walsall to pay some money in to cover a loan going out today. Again there were some charges that had gone (two lots of £38.00) out which meant that if I payed in the money for the loan, it would be sucked up to pay the charges which had been debited making the account overdrawn... ARGGGHHH!!!!

We (my partner and I) went to the services desk and asked if there was a way to pay the load manually (we explained that if we payed the money in, there would still not be enough to ay the loan)... she explained that we should have come in before the charges went out... (DDDRRR!!! we didn't know we were due for another hammering with charges).

We spent a good 20 mins discussing things with this NatWest lady... not once did she offer to refund the charges, so that I could pay the loan money in (so that the loan DD would be paid today instead of it getting returned... and we get charged again...) I explained to her that we were on our way to the court to hand in the N1, blar blar... even then, she couldn't offer a solution! I said to her that the reason the account is not running properly is because of snowballing charges... all she could offer me was a consilodation loan..... ?? I could have lamped her one, but obviously I didn't, as I am a repectable school teacher and mother of three.. but I felt like doing it!!

So I didn't end up paying the loan money in. Which means it will have been returned, then I'll get another returned DD fee of £38 and then a £20 referal fee at the end of the month. How frustrating!!!! So because they took £76 worth of charges out, it has cost me another £58!!

With me I had the N1, all filled in online and printed off (3 copies), the Scedule of charges showing both interest rates of 16.9 and the 8%... (again 3 copies) & lastly the particulars of claim x 3 (details below).

Particulars of Claim

1.The Claimant has an account: SORT CODE: XX-XX-XX

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXX with the Defendant, opened 1998.

2.Since 02/01/01 the Defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5.Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £2,890.99

b) Court costs;

c) interest at the contractual rate of 16.9% AER, from the date of each transaction to 29/12/06, which is £1,340.08, as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimant further claims interest, on the resulting total of £4321.07, at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of .

The Claimant believes this rate to be justified under the implied principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendants interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above-mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimant claims interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Court Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum calculated from the date of each transaction to 29/12/06, which is £480.86 and also interest at the same rate until date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of £.

6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true.

Being as I couldn't pay the loan today, I used the loan money to pay the court fee of £120.00 at my local county court office in Walsall. The lady behind the counter quickly checked through everything and handed me a receipt.... It felt good to have that part all done and dusted... will have to sit back and wait now to see what they do.

God Banks are a nightmare!!! It didn't used to be like this years ago. They realise they can make mega bucks from all the charges and so make life really difficult for you.

For instance... I cecked out our account online when I got home today to see why I had been charged those two lots of £38 (that made it impossible for me to pay my loan today)...

... and the reason I was charged is because... last month I had two DD's due to go out on a Monday. So on the SATURDAY (before the monday) I paid the money in to cover them... BUT, because they are automatically on Monday time scale by the close of business on the Friday... the money I paid in on the Saturday didn't count!!! So.. I (in effect) paid the money in too late!!! How do they work that one out... What's the point of being open on a saturday then?????

Excuse me while I SCREEAAAAMMMMM... AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Roll on a court date, that's what I say!

:evil::eek::confused::eek::evil:

Moodle

Guest NATTIE

Feel quite scared to respond on this one but I think you may find that it has cost you more, ie £38 and Unarranged Borrowing £28 so £66. Please don;t hit me!!!

And contact a Moderator on the other bit.

NatWeststaffmember...

Oh... don't worry... I have calmed down now and am feeling OK.

(I think the two glasses of wine might have helpedhic).

Well there's nothing I can do about it now only to remember that Friday/Saturday are the same as Monday! Oh no... does that mean my weekends have disappeared?

Yes... Will contact the moderator about changing the title...

You work for NatWest? If yay, would my prelim letter and LBA have been read by the relevant department after I set them to the Borehamwood address? I didn't even receive the complaints leaflet letter in response to my letters... probably just a tactic.

:-)

Moodle

Guest NATTIE

No that is FSA guidelines. I am surprised as I would have thought Customer Relations Unit should have responded with either a No fob off or a No but partial offer. However, your timescale is what matters. I try not to think of tactics as our cricket and rugby ones have not helped us out much:D The complaints leaflet is "Makings things better" ?

Thanks for not hitting me

Fair enough...

I just hope that it isn't going to affect the claim (the fact that I have not received a response at all). The timescales were all bang on, and the N1 has been filed so there's nothing to do but wait now.

Do you think NatWest will bring their charges down to £12, like many of the other banks have done? They seem to have some of the highest charges around.

MAxine:roll:

Moodle

Guest NATTIE

That is something new because no bank has brought the charges down on personal account just credit cards. Halifax just beat us on returned items at £39 a pop.

I have just checked on my on line statements and you are right... tis still 30 quid for o/d excess fee. I had a charge on the 1st Nov, and when I looked at it (in Novemeber) I saw £12... and thought... Oh right they've bought it down.

I double checked it just now, and you are both are right. The £12 I saw was the tranaction above it... DOH!! And here was me thinking they had reduced it!! No such luck... not that £12 is a reflection of the actual cost either.

Sorry to have mislead you somewhat then.

So NO banks have reduced the amount then? Do you think they will in time being as credit card companies have started to?

I haven't got to the N1 stage with Lloyds TSB yet, I have sent LBA on the 20th Dec. It looks like I had better ammend my spreadsheet.

Happy New Year by the way!!

Maxine

Moodle