• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

speeding on the A127 Rayleigh essex

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

11 hours ago, guffedoffdriver said:

surely this is a violation of presumption of innocence , 

i am being co-ersed into a "lesser punishment"  under duress , 

No you're not.

The right you have is to see the matter dealt with by  a court. That remains and if you choose that route you will be provided with all the evidence the police intend to rely on to convict you before you enter a plea.

However, if you want to accept the offence as it stands the police are prepared to offer two different out-of-court disposals which you cannot demand as of right.

If you choose one of them you will not incur a criminal conviction and it does not impinge on the presumption of your innocence

. The out of court disposals will cost you considerably less than if you are convicted in court.

It costs the police far less to process your alleged offence that way and, of course, no court costs are involved so the savings are shared.

That is why you are made the offers. It's similar to being offered a caution. You have no right to one but the police will offer it, if they think fit, for both their benefit and yours.

You can take up one of their offers or decline them and see the matter dealt with in court.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guffedoffdriver said:

If that was the reason for my alleged excessive speed then I would have a legitimate excuse.

No you wouldn't. But if you think you have then  you have the option of having the matter heard in court. If you plead Not Guilty but are convicted (as you will be if you defend the matter on the basis you describe) you will face a fine of half a week's net income, a surcharge of 10% of the fine and prosecution costs of £620. So a bit more than £100.

Robert63 is quite right. Before you responded naming yourself as driver you could have asked for "photographs to help identify the driver". You are not entitled to evidence at that stage but most forces will provide photos for that purpose. That said, they rarely help with that task (especially those taken from the rear) as their purpose is to identify the vehicle not the driver. But they may give you some idea of the circumstances of the allegation. However, once you've named the driver you no longer have that option.

my point is if I am being fined £100 at the very least , and the Safety driving course is a fine by proxy , with no evidence offered then it amounts to a Stasi state extracting money by menaces,

I've explained to you as best I can why that is not so. You obviously have a different view to most people. As far as I'm aware Stasi states do not give their suspects the opportunity of a fair trial if they believe they are not guilty nor do they provide the opportunity to avoid criminal convictions by having matters dealt with out of court.

and I would be suspicious of the motives of  anyone defending such behaviour.   

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm defending nothing. I'm simply explaining the situation as it is not necessarily as you'd like it to be. I did that to try to assist you (which I thought was the point of your post). I didn't do it to start a baseless and unjustified argument resulting in my motives falling under suspicion. If you are suspicious of my motives feel free to make your argument on another forum. I suggest www.pepipoo.com. There are lots of knowledgeable people who respond on there of whom you can be equally suspicious when they provide similar explanations.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gick said:

The OP is beginning to sound like a Freeman on the Land!!!

I was wondering that very thing yesterday when I read the latest post, especially when the "Stasi State" reared its head! I don't quite understand how the offer of avoiding a prosecution and settling the matter at a considerably reduced cost by accepting the allegation as its stands amounts to oppressive behaviour. After all, the choice to have the matter heard in open court where he can, if he chooses, put the prosecution to proof, always remains.