bought a car that has developed a fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought an Xsara Picasso just going on 30 days as I type this post.

Not sure where I fall into this catagory of statuary rights?

30 days or 6 months.

wife emailed the seller after closing hours so I guess it will be classed as next working day now putting us out of the 30 day rights?

Car flashed up ABS non function and hasn't gone off since.

looking on the internet that car is still safe to drive as it defaults to standard breaking (fail safe) just no ABS function.

Which I'm glad as she needs the car for work as has to travel around from job to job.

Now the seller might just say sure bring it down I'll take a look and sort it.

But if he does put a fight up where do I stand if I get the fault looked at myself at my cost and try and get the money back that way?

While the brakes still work ok I don't want to be hanging about with no ABS function for too long considering I have a small child (we don't do any motorway driving) so wont need to be braking at speed.

could simply be an ABS sensor that has failed

which is quite usual when seasons change [well on my car it does!]

but im in Scotland [2deg C tonight] 

the sensors are less than <£20 and easy to fit yourself once you know which one it is that's failed

you'd need a code reader for that.

see what the dealer says.

its for you to prove the fault existed at purchase and with sensors its pretty obv by dash alerts when it did fail.

pers I cant see the dealer being too anti helping you here.

as long as it is just a sensor and not the ECU connections 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did think it might just be a sensor fault..

.However does that not conflict with consumer rights?

I thought I was protected for 6 months so that a car purchase should at least be free from fault during that time?

I wouldn't have bought the car and drove it off the court if I knew there was a known fault?

hence the fault that has just started now?

unless he had the codes cleared and it's come back now?

Who knows when it developed.

Its after 30 days now

You are protected for upto 6yrs

Liaise with the seller

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 09/05/2019 at 09:19, finaldj said:

I did think it might just be a sensor fault..

.However does that not conflict with consumer rights?

I thought I was protected for 6 months so that a car purchase should at least be free from fault during that time?

I wouldn't have bought the car and drove it off the court if I knew there was a known fault?

hence the fault that has just started now?

unless he had the codes cleared and it's come back now?

The CRA does not cover anything related to wear n tear, maintaining a vehicle is the buyers responsibility. How old and what mileage is your car ? 

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update to this, the seller never responded to the email sent and I just decided to get it looked at anyway which was a faulty sensor £80 to get fixed. This was on the front drivers side which had a timing belt change so could have damaged the sensor on that side.

Bumping this thread as the car has developed a new fault.

So the wife came to pick me up from work tonight, taking into account the car is now 2 months old and only done 1000 miles since we had it. She said it was feeling sluggish in first and second gear however she set off and it seemed fine, got around 1/2 a mile down the road and black smoke started coming out of the Exhaust and it did this sporadic for about 2 miles up the road before clearing.

We drove the car about another 2 miles and picked up some food for my daughter who ate it in the car sat parked...after around 30 mins we set off home no smoke came from the Exhaust but the car was slowly struggling to pick up speed 1st/2nd gear but was ok in 3rd...got about 2 miles down the road and the engine management light came on.

Car starts up ok...We paid £1600 for the car, 95k miles and put on about 1000 since we had it and now this problem.

This is just a joke now it's a diesel car where do I legally stand it's only 2 months old since we got it and first it was the ABS sensor now this.

We don't have the money to buy a new car and I feel ripped off by the seller if its a huge job we don't have the money which means no car and wife has no job anymore.

sounds like a problem with the DPF (diesel particulate filter), these are expensive to replace but you can i believe clean them, either with magic additives or by taking them off and cleaning the cartridge manually. as below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv01BlfqXoY

you've paid £1600 for an older car, i think in such circumstances one has to manage one's expectations as to what the car might be. Personally, i'd be inclined to steer clear of older diesel cars unless you have a good mechanical knowledge and are able to do some of the work yourself, though as modern cars become more complicated, doing any work yourself becomes more difficult. however, you've got the car now and need to make the best of it.

I'd suggest getting a professional opinion on it, then do a bit of google research and find out what your options are to sort the problem in the most cost effective way. If the dealer won't fix an ABS sensor as a good will gesture i think they're unlikely to help you on this issue.

It was suggested on another forum I post on that it could have been the DPF filter as you say. It was suggested that the wife took it out onto the motorway and spent about 15-20 mins doing about 50mph low gears high revs to clear it, however it brokedown as she got round the corner from our house.

Recovery came out and checked it out and said it was the EGR valve that was stuck open and needed replacing or cleaned. managed to get it towed to a garage who fitted a new one. they also said the fuel filter was a total write off as well one of the worst they had even seen apparently so replaced that.

They've kept the car overnight and told us it's running but they want to take it for a ride out and do about 15 miles to make sure it's all running ok and will let the wife know later if it's running ok and she can collect it then.

It hasn't really been looked after, it had a regular service for about 4 years then they didn't do one for about 6 years, it then had 2 last year but it didn't say what kind they had only that in one of them the oil filter was changed.

So it seems we are picking the tab up on lack of care for this one.

The recovery guy said was it a bit jittery when you went to buy the car and we said yes but the dealer said it was normal for diesel cars and it did seem to run ok. He clearly new it was on it;s way out and just took advantage of our lack of understanding of cars.

I does sound like it, unfortunately when you get to cars of this value, you have to take into account what sort of profit margin the dealer is going to be taking out of it, and what sort of potential after sales service this can support realistically. the end result is when you get to the bottom of the market you've got the more arthur daley type retailers who are making money either from expensive finance options for people with poor credit ratings, or from essentially ripping people off by selling cars at the full retail mark up, but not giving the backup one would expect after paying the top whack forecourt price.

I think there's an argument when you're in this price bracket for buying privately after doing some research into the type of car you want, you'll end up paying less, and you can put the money saved aside for the inevitable repairs and maintenance.