GP Receptonist and GP Medical Secretary refusing to give choice at the point of referral for elderly family member

Purpleflowers 2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can’t help but think that we’re massively over complicating things here, pick up the phone and ask to speak with the PM.

Explain the issue and ask them to sort it out.

I could solve 99.999999% of problems within an hour or so provided someone actually told me what the problem was.

By the time I was receiving letters spanning several pages and having to dig through notes and speak to people to get their accounts of what happened it could take weeks to gather the info and get replies from everyone.

Just pick up the phone at lunchtime on Tuesday, ask for the PM and if they’re unavailable ask when they can be contacted and speak to them so they have an opportunity to resolve what is probably a very simple issue rather than trawling out weeks of waiting. 

• Thanks 1

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

In fairness you’ve explained the situation really well on here, there’s no secret code or technique to writing to a PM. We’re just normal people doing a job so don’t feel like it needs to be a perfectly crafted 10,000 word masterpiece, it really doesn’t. Half a page of simply put “We’re not happy with x, please can you help us get y...” will do just fine. 

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

The other thing that strikes me is that the referral pathway may necessitate that all patients are referred for initial examination at an NHS facility but is treatment is necessary then the choice of where treatment will be given is then made. It makes far better sense to have the initial appointments in one place so the the team diagnosing and setting treatment plans are centralised and then additional treatment capacity is sought from the private facility. 

I think it’s potentially a case of the fact that the NHS occasionally uses private healthcare facilities to offer additional capacity when needed. Almost in a queue-busting manner of helping reduce waiting times when NHS Facilities are unable to meet demand. Obviously once the queue has been busted, so to speak, then the private facilities are not used as it makes no financial sense to have unused capacity in NHS facilities and to be paying a premium for private rooms. Choose and book can only apply where the preferred option is an available one. If the facility is not in use by the NHS then it is not an available option.

As such should your mother wish to use private healthcare then it should be self-funded as capacity exists to offer the necessary treatment within existing NHS facilities. 

52 minutes ago, sofiaa said:

I spoke to the hospital and asked if they accept NHS referrals and they said yes.

I also asked if they had an the relevant department that dealt with the medical solution and they said yes

Of course, almost every private hospital will accept and indeed will seldom proceed without a referral fom the patient’s GP. The fact that they accept referrals doesn’t mean that the NHS will fund the treatment at their facility.

I've been referred to this hospital myself in the past by my GP for surgery

And as demand and queues change so does the engagement with private sector providers.

The reply fails to address the issue of no choice being given

The preferred hospital is closer to home, less waiting times, better service overall and more convienient. compared to the local NHS hospital which is at bursting point with bad  reviews

The fact is NO choice has been given at all - just a referral to a hospital with not very good overall reviews, then somehow that appointment has been cancelled by someone, after I called the surgery to explain the referal was not to the hospital of choice.

The Practice Manager reply states that he has checked the NHS booking system and the [preferred hospital] does not provide this procedure under the NHS and also contacted NHS referral line at [preferred hospital] and they have confirmed this with

I’d suggest checking the rules about choose and book before responding, specifically they state: 

There are some exceptions that may limit your choice – for example, not all hospitals are able to treat every condition, and a hospital must meet NHS conditions on standards and costs.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/can-i-choose-where-to-receive-treatment/#when-choice-is-limited

But then the practice manager contradicts himself by saying 'They offer this service but on private basis'. 

No contradiction here I’m afraid - yes they’ll carry out the treatment if you pay for it - doesn’t mean that the NHS will fund it there.

BUT as a NHS patient you still have the right to be sent to a private hospital which the GP has refused and even worse not given any choice of where to go for treatment,

Again, check here: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/can-i-choose-where-to-receive-treatment/#when-choice-is-limited

then that appointment has somehow been cancelled which the practice manager has failed to identify in their response

Please help me with a reply back to the practice manager

Dear Practice Manager, thanks for your response. Can you please confirm that the booking on Xth of Maytember 20XX is still in place as the booking line seems to suggest that it has been cancelled.

Yours, Sofiaa

Edited by think about it
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...