Is this inequality allowed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2746 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I currently work for a Government ran business on back shift (4pm-12am) and all of back shift are having to work day shift for a few days between Christmas and New Year.

While I feel it is unfair that we have to change our shift, this is not my problem.

My problem is,

a week ago we had to state what time on day shift we were going in: 7am-3pm, 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm.

I chose 7-3, only,

today we have found out that the building is closing at 1pm (which it did last year but everyone just worked a half day regardless of time started and got paid a full days pay)

BUT this time if you start at 7am you work until 1pm, start at 8 or 9 you work until 1pm.

How is this fair?

I would be working 1-2 hours more than those starting later yet getting paid exactly the same.

Is this level of inequality wrong?

If so, what can I do about it?

you can insist everyone works a full 8 hour day and see how popular you become?

• Haha 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Is this level of inequality wrong? No

If so, what can I do about it? Nothing

The additional leave is discretionary. The employer doesn't have to give it at all, and start kicking up a fuss and it could be withdrawn. You asked to work the shift that you are on, and they gave you that shift. The fact that it no longer suits you because you will have to attend work for a slightly longer period is not their problem - you are being paid for the full day anyway.

No it is not wrong. You picked the shift starting at 7am and might have thought about the site closing at 1pm. Others may have known about the 1pm closing and picked 8am or 9am start times.

I guess you are on fixed pay, so it does not matter about the hours worked on this day.

There is not much you can do about this, but what i would expect a good management team to do on the day, is allow those who started earlier to leave earlier, if the work volume permits this. So start at 7am and leave at 11am. If they are not doing this, then everyone would have picked a 9am start time only, as there was no incentive to start earlier.

I would be surprised if the company were not recognising the extra hours worked in some way, by just adjusting the shift on the day or on another day by the extra hour or two worked previously.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Nobody is working any extra hours, so why should the employer recognise what isn't happening? They are being paid for a full day. They are not required to be in work for the whole of that time. The fact that some may get to work less hours in the day does not affect anything, and there is no reason to adjust anything.

To be honest, if it is likely to start off this much of a fuss, then perhaps the employer should not close early and make everyone work until the end of their shift.

So you knew, from last year, that the business closed at 1pm and yet you still picked the longest shift?

Not the smartest choice and guess you will have to live with it now.

Other option is to kick up a fuss, a formal grievance. See how that goes down. I'm pretty sure you will not be flavour of the month either with management or with the employees.

Not really sure why most people aren't getting my point. My problem isn’t the shift at all, it’s how some are getting a better deal than others , it’s about fairness. No one can make anyone do the full 8 hour shift because the building shuts at 1pm.

Choosing the shift has nothing to do with being smart because as I said, last year everyone worked a half day regardless of start time, feel free to read my post properly before you make snide comments.

Once again, my post is not about any kind of shift, but the fact nothing about this is equal! God forbid I want equality in the workplace, everyone getting paid the same, everyone working the same. Even the managers who have to do this aren’t happy, no one is happy about it but you all make out like I’m the only one being unreasonable and have no right to be unhappy that some of my colleagues are getting better deal than others and I doubt most people here wouldn’t be too happy if this happened to them as you would want to be treat the same as everyone else.

You got a great forum here guys, very supportive!

Unclebulgaria was the only person who actually got my post so thanks :)

Not really sure why most people aren't getting my point. My problem isn’t the shift at all, it’s how some are getting a better deal than others , it’s about fairness. No one can make anyone do the full 8 hour shift because the building shuts at 1pm.

Choosing the shift has nothing to do with being smart because as I said, last year everyone worked a half day regardless of start time, feel free to read my post properly before you make snide comments.

Once again, my post is not about any kind of shift, but the fact nothing about this is equal! God forbid I want equality in the workplace, everyone getting paid the same, everyone working the same. Even the managers who have to do this aren’t happy, no one is happy about it but you all make out like I’m the only one being unreasonable and have no right to be unhappy that some of my colleagues are getting better deal than others and I doubt most people here wouldn’t be too happy if this happened to them as you would want to be treat the same as everyone else.

You got a great forum here guys, very supportive!

Unclebulgaria was the only person who actually got my post so thanks :)

No. We all read your post and there were no snide remarks. What you mean is that Unclebulgaria was the only person who said something you wanted to agree with, despite the fact that there was absolutely nothing at all in that part that was evidenced!

You wanted to know if this was allowed? It is. Equality is not about issues like this, unless you are going to claim that the only people getting the "best deal" (in your eyes) are getting because of their gender, race, disability or something like that.

And for the record, I would be perfectly ok with it. It's Christmas and I'm not going to be a miserable scrooge trying to wreck some extra time off for everyone just because someone else might get an hour out of it! Just because the building is closing didn't mean they couldn't keep it open; or insist that all the time is worked back in the new year. Your employers are giving everyone a bit of time off. Time that they aren't entitled to. And you are complaining about it.

Fine, put in a grievance, fight it to the ground, and see how Christmas works out next year for you! Because next year the same thing might happen, except that when you pick the later shift, you might not get the shift you want. Or there may be nobody getting any time off.

Goodness, it's unbelievable that people actually complain when employers do something nice even!