Ford trying to get out of warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Fiesta which has leaking suspension struts. I was told this in May 2015 when the car was 15 months old. I have been in dispute with Ford ever since.

Ford's reason for refusing a warranty claim regarding these suspension struts is that they say it is not covered after 12 months by the warranty. I have read through the warranty, both on Ford's website and the printed copy that came with the car, and there is absolutely no mention of them excluding anything other than the obvious brake pads, tyres, wiper blades etc until the car is 3 years old or has done 60000 miles, under the base warranty.

Ford have offered me £150 voucher to use at a Ford Dealer to have the £540 job done. This is a gesture of goodwill. I'm not inclined to accept this but am being stonewalled by Ford, who seem to be unable to answer any question I put to them about the lack of an exclusion in their warranty. It feels like they can make any clause up to cover themselves. To me this smacks of breach of contract.

I have had the car serviced by Ford and as per the schedule.

I am on the verge of taking them to the small claims court, but would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, particularly regarding the enforceability of a warranty clause that isn't in the warranty and if the finance company are worth persuing (even though it is Ford's own finance) as they have an interest still in the car?

Kind regards,

Jazzer

Hi Jazzer, our motoring guru's will be along soon to advise

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Typical useless warranty issue.

I was told by Toyota that any part subject to vibration is not covered...

What part doesn't vibrate in a car???

You have to write to Ford ceo and point out that in their own t&c the suspension is not excluded.

If they still refuse to fix it, I would issue a lba and then proceeded with a claim

If they still refuse to fix it, I would issue a lba and then proceeded with a claim

So would I, I would also search out ever review site plus facebook and twitter and let the whole world know.

OMG, such a short post, so many things wrong.

Usual Ford (the manufacturer) and Ford (the dealer) confusion.

king12345, have you actually seen the warranty terms Ford publish? There is a whole world of difference between Suspension struts and the generic term 'Suspension'. Show some clarity. Additionally, issue the LBA to who, Ford?

Breach of contract, by who? Your contract is with the supplying dealer.

Ford make vehicles, they don't service them.

Who you going to take to court, Ford or the supplying dealer?

Which dealer is it?

A VIN would help for a more definitive answer (warranty terms change!!) but last time i asked for one i got into trouble.

H

PS, very helpful post there from Conniff.

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

There was a lot more to this but it took me slightly longer to find your warranty terms than 10 minutes so editing times up........................... Bad luck.

H

• 2 weeks later...

The above post makes little sense but i'll have a go at answering a question that might not have been asked!! I think I've replied to it before as well........................................

Of course all manufacturer's warrant their vehicles (warranties them?????????). All manufacturers store accruals from the purchase price (production costs) to fund warranty repairs carried out by authorised agents.

Yes, every vehicle comes with a manufacturers warranty, which does (notice the lower case, not shouty as above) cover everything, including rubber and glass as long as its a manufacturing defect and not damage or wear and tear.

I suspect when you say 'Rubber', what you really mean are tyres, these are covered under the warranty terms of the tyre manufacturer unless the tyre is required to be replaced as a result of a warrant-able item on the vehicle failing failing.

Keep it up.

H

May I venture to suggest that your post 5 is lacking in sense as it only serves to confuse who the op should sue. Perhaps your legal knowledge does not extend to the possibility that op can sue The Ford Motor Co. through their agent ABC Car Sales Ltd. That could be worded to say "at the hands of their agent".

What is the point of warranties if they can't be activated and customers cars rectified free of charge.

It is diabolical that car makers warranties exclude what has become the norm----initial diagnostic check to point to where the fault is located. Main agents charge a fortune ( a rip off) for this check.

I am presently trying to assist a friend who is having problems with his recently acquired Kuga. No doubt more on this later, if you don't see it in the newspapers first.

The OP should sue whomever they have a contract with, in this case the selling Dealer, it is, almost never, the manufacturer. The clue is in the the name, Manufacturer-Dealer. Apart from one or two class actions in the US, not EU.

A 'Warranty' on a new vehicle does not have to be 'activated' as you put it.

Your contention with the initial diagnostic check harps back to your dissatisfaction over how your Citroen issue was dealt with. Main agents, as you can call them, invest heavily in diagnostic equipment and it needs to be financed somehow. You are entitled to your opinion as to whether its a rip off or not. Whether you like it or not these are businesses and they have to be financially viable to survive. You may demand everything to be be free of charge but who fixes your vehicle when they are all insolvent.

If your friend has a problem with their Kuga, why not post the problem on here and get a straight forward, knowledgeable answer instead of trying to sensationalise it through the press who will give you no help whatsoever. There is no satisfaction in revenge.

H

Other members of the motor trade have to bear the expense of buying and upgrading computers but charge a reasonable fee for diagnosis. Local garages charge 50% less than main dealers and a highly respected auto electrician with state of the art computers charges 60% of dealers prices. These businesses appear to be" doing very nicely thank you" at their charges. But the real question is why do they need computers in the first place----PLEASE don't get me started. There is also on going work in this connection, but in early stages yet.

As far as the Kuga is concerned, I gave the guy a knowledgeable answer which was confirmed by an independent diagnostic check.

The future involvement of the media, if required, is because the guys sister is a director of a newspaper & boyfriend works in TV.