Yet another Harlands/Xercise4Less Thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I did something a bit daft and need to know where I stand.

I joined Xercise4Less in August or September 2015, went once and promptly forgot about it

things got very tight this month and I was looking at my statements trying to figure out what to cut

so nothing would bounce and was all "oh yeah, gym, I should cancel that"

Looked around for my member details and couldn't find them.

Cancelled the DD anyway since it would either have bounced or caused something priority to bounce.

Figured I'd get a letter which would include my membership info

and then be able to sort out paying whatever I needed to and cancel the contract.

Of course today I got the letter and there's a £25 admin charge and threat of another if I don't payup.

Now I know the admin fees are unenforcable but I can see this turning into some sort of circus

where they claim I owe them piles of money and refuse to let me cancel.

I know I should have cancelled my membership first but it was an emergency

(I figured paying my water rates was more important).

Part of me is "Meh, ignore them, they don't deserve money for services you don't use and what are they going to do?"

and part of me is "But I don't want to be bombarded with threatening letters even if the threats are empty".

Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Becky

when did you last attend the gym.?

if you need money

i'd be inclined to go get all payments since then back under the DD guarantee...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

then IMHO you reclaim the lot back too 1 month after your last attendance.

others may think otherwise.

but we've never seen court done over doing a DD guarantee reclaim.

can you remember if it was a month on month contract

or a 12mth one you signed upto?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well 2 choices

reclaim back to month 3

or

reclaim back to month 13

[12mts +1 for cancellation notice]

they most certainly have no legal right to payments after month 13

use the DD guarantee phone your bank

dx

and they

Hi Becka and welcome to CAG

In your 1st post, you say you joined in Aug/Sept 2015. In post #3 you refer to the induction attendance in 2014.

Please confirm the date you joined.

Whatever date you joined, you're stuck with having to pay for a year .........

......... unless there are good grounds for cancelling earlier, like moving home, sickness, illness redundancy or change of financial circumstances.

If none of these applied, I would not seek any refund using the DD Guarantee Scheme as that would be wrong.

DX may be right, that court action is unlikely. However, I don't think that's a good reason to reclaim DD's that you agreed to pay. You were committed to paying for the gym membership until you cancelled, regardless of whether you used the facility or not. Also, the m/ship rolls on beyond the initial 12 months until you give proper notice to cancel.

If you cancelled at a time when you could no longer afford the gym fee due to a change in financial circumstances, then you could argue a case for cancelling and paying a month's notice fee (if you could afford it). It would have been better if you told the gym of the cancellation at the time, but that's history now.

Let us know about the date of joining; and about the circumstances of you being unable to afford the fees. Then we can advise further.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

No problem !

Can you confirm the date you cancelled the DD mandate and the date the last DD was paid.

Ignore any communications from Harlands/CRS for now.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

aha not 13mts then...

and they

Hi Becka,

The bad news is, in my opinion, you owe a final month's fee for the notice period that you should have given.

The good news is that Harlands are usually too greedy to accept this offer, so you end up withdrawing it, and paying nothing more.

Write to Harlands saying :-

Dear Harlands,

I had to cancel my DD for my membership at Xercise4Less in [town/city] for personal reason. As I was beyond the initial 12 month minimum membership period, I was free to cancel.

I now know I should have given a month's notice and offer to pay you a final monthly fee of £xx.xx in full settlement of all that I owe.

If you accept this offer, please give me the bank details so I can make the necessary payment.

I will not pay by phone due to the trouble people have in getting through to Harlands/CRS. I will not pay any admin fees added by Harlands/CRS.

If you insist I pay admin fees or demand any amount higher than the month's fee that I owe, I will pay you nothing.

This offer is valid for 14 days and I will only deal with this matter in writing.

Yours sincerely,

Get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when you send this.

Let us know how Harlands/CRS reply and do NOT respond to anything other than a proper reply to this letter.