Reject car due to wrong mileage on odometer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would challenge Which on their statement.

Which is a profit making commercial enterprise 'not' a consumer champion so don't believe everything they tell you.

Learn something new everyday ! didn't know which were commercial and reading the last paragraph that is questionable

Name & Registered Office:

WHICH? LIMITED

2 MARYLEBONE ROAD

LONDON

NW1 4DF

Company No. 00677665

Previous Names:

01/04/1995 CONSUMERS' ASSOCIATION LIMITED

31/01/1987 CONSUMER PROTECTION LIMITED

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC):

Publishing of consumer and business journals and periodicals

Other publishing activities

Other software publishing

The questions you have to ask yourself are: How many miles has the car run?

Answer: 45000

Question: How many miles did the dealer told me the car had run?

Answer: 44000

Question: Did he lie?

Answer: Yes, by 1000 miles

Question: Does this affect the value of the car?

Answer: No

A odometer change, especially when performed by main dealer and documented doesn't mean that the car is not fit for purpose.

The dealer didn't misrepresent the car in his ad, he gave the correct mileage.

Think about this: If he had advertised at 21000 you would have paid more and maybe never found out.

He's been more honest than many other dealers out there.

Have you changed your mind about the car?

Because this odometer story is pretty trivial imo.

Hello,

I understand your point, but that's not what I have a problem with. He should have told me about the odometer change before I bought the car, he can't have just forgotten to tell me. This can be a problem when I want to sell the car, I know it shouldn't, but it can be. I.e it puts potential customers off buying.

I really do like the car and would have kept it if it wasn't for this. The other little things he would have fixed anyway.

I suspect the dealer will initially refuse any refund.

I've got to be quite honest here....I find it difficult to believe that the OP failed to notice the difference in mileage both on the test drive and on the way home and only noticed it once home.

After all, if I were driving home in a car I had just bought I would be checking ALL warning lights and gauges constantly in case of breakdown or possible trouble.

I do rather suspect a bit of buyers remorse here.

Although if I were the dealer id refund the OP just to be done with it all

I suspect the dealer will initially refuse any refund.

I've got to be quite honest here....I find it difficult to believe that the OP failed to notice the difference in mileage both on the test drive and on the way home and only noticed it once home.

After all, if I were driving home in a car I had just bought I would be checking ALL warning lights and gauges constantly in case of breakdown or possible trouble.

I do rather suspect a bit of buyers remorse here.

Although if I were the dealer id refund the OP just to be done with it all

There was no test drive. It was noticed on the way home but I thought that it was the trip meter which was showing 21k, after getting home and checking it properly it was confirmed that it was the total mileage.

Obviously it was confusing at first as we hadn't been informed of the odometer change.

Seems like the services of a mileage correction company are needed, that'll be a novelty for them, getting them to do what they advertise as doing, rather than just winding the clock back.

Seems like the services of a mileage correction company are needed, that'll be a novelty for them, getting them to do what they advertise as doing, rather than just winding the clock back.

No that would be an error. It's obviously fully documented and would be a nightmare to prove etc 5 years down the line! Imagine the online MOT history for a start!

Can't help with the legal side but I would think the value would be somewhat reduced even with documentation showing what the mileage should be. Given the choice of 2 similar cars of the same price, condition, mileage & service history I know which one I would choose.