Npower - crossed meter problem ongoing for a year

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am having a problem with my npower electricity account, which I first noticed in May last year.

After receiving an unusually high bill with an apparent high energy usage, I did some tests and found out that the meter registered to my address is not actually my meter.

I live in a block of appartments where all meters are in a communal cupboard under the stairs.

Known as a "crossed meter", it appears that I have been billed incorrectly ever since living here, but only just noticed because of the excessively high recent bill.

After reporting the problem to npower last May they said they would send someone round to check. An electrician did visit and agreed with my conclusion after performing a similar test. Npower told me they would put my account on hold until the matter was resolved, which would be around September 2015. I've been taking regular readings of both meters since making the discovery.

I heard nothing for the rest of the year so contacted them again in February this year for an update.

They told me that despite my observations being registered, nothing had actually been done. There were notes on their system saying "Account investigated and found to be genuine", and "Back bill processed" but the agent I spoke to was unable to explain these notes and said that the issue would have to be escalated to a complaint.

Around a week later I was contacted by npower's complaints department acknowledging the complaint and advising they would be in touch again shortly. On 23rd Feb they called me again and arranged to send an engineer on 8th March to investigate. I waited in and nobody turned up. I've heard nothing from them since.

It's now approaching a year since the initial complaint and I'm totally exasperated by their incompetence and failure to act.

I really don't want to call them again.

Could anyone offer any advice - what are my options?

My account is still on hold and I've not paid a bill since last May.

Thanks

I think you need to follow this up with a WRITTEN complaint to their Head/Registered office.

Speaking to them on the telephone will get you absolutely nowhere except dizzy from going round in circles.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

read our customer services guide and implement the advice there. the call them and get everything recorded. This will be useful for the future.

Write to them as suggested above but this will have little effect but will be useful to establish a paper-trail.

It is highly likley that you will have to start a small-claim but you can win this easliy because npower are incompetent and so is their legal department.

I'm away at present bu follow the advice above, send an SAR - very important - and I will update this thread on Thursday

If you live in a block of apartments, is there a management company looking after the whole block ?. Whilst each apartment resident is responsible for utility bills, the management company on behalf of the freeholders, might have some responsibility in terms of resolving these situations. It might be worth contacting them to let them know of this problem, as if there is any electrical work need doing, then they might be responsible. Make sure if they get involved, that they fully document and advise you, as you have ongoing complaints with NPower.

As has been said a recorded delivery letter to NPower head office registering a complaint is necessary and to follow their complaints process in the first instance. Then you have other option, which Bankfodder and others will advise you on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

I have today complained in writing as suggested, and also requested a SAR form from them which they said would be with me within 10 days.

I have also installed a call recording app on my phone.

@unclebulgaria67 I've not got the estate management company involved yet as I think the ball is still in npower's court, but if/when they do agree some work needs doing I'll contact them.

I'll keep this thread updated.

I can't see the need to involve your management company - they would only be needed to do something if work past the electricity meters was required. What usually happens in a cross meter situation, as I suspect has happened here, is that the wrong meter has been registered against the wrong address. In new builds this is quite common when the address changes from a plot number to an actual postal address.

It's likely other properties in the development will be affected.

You're doing the right thing by taking meter reads of both meters; it might be an idea to get photographic evidence of he reads on respective dates, as I think they will have to re-estimate all of your consumption. The more reads you have the better

The reason for involving estate management is that they have a responsibility towards leaseholders and the freeholders. If an issue has been found which might involve works and informing other leaseholders/tenants of anything they need to know, then the management company need to be kept informed. Other leaseholders/tenants might also have an issue or not be aware paying incorrect bills and there needs to be a way of communicating this. Sometimes the management companies issue notices of any issues they become aware of. A relative of mine living in a block of 14 flats, had a management company who regularly contacted residents with various matterS. Other than that you are relying on word of mouth between residents.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I posted the written complaint to head office by first class recorded delivery on 15th March. Still haven't heard anything.

Royal Mail tracking service is saying proof of delivery "has not come through yet. Please check later." and status "It's on its way".

What should I do now?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

They called me today saying that the serial number had now been switched over on my account and that they have back-billed me from 2007, leaving a balance of £823. They said they wrote off £1200, and I also received £190 compensation for the inconvenience and length of time it took to resolve.

I am still annoyed at being left with a bill for £823.

Are they allowed to back bill this far back?

as you have been paying someone else's bill they shouldnt be billing you for anything at all. take a meter reading and again in a week and try and calculate this for consumption over a year and you will have an idea of what should have been paid. Deduct what you actually paid and I bet they owe you money