Cowboy builder, a £70k counterclaim,set aside SD and repeated harrassment from DCA

dungarees
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Imagining sending an SD to wind him up is pleasurable, but our solicitor wouldn't allow that anyway..He said we must behave impeccably as when we go to court, the behavour of the builder will be unfavourable and we must not do anything to appear unreasonable ourselves.

When the solicitor sent all the correspondence back and forth with the last DCAicon ,he warned them about game playing any wasting solicitor time, and marked all correspondence "without prejudiceicon SAVE AS TO COSTS", so they were warned.

I thought we could only get costs back had we had to go to the judge to have it set aside?

The DCA agreed to set it aside upon siting the evidence and that was that.

Understood. As the SD was set aside by consent, rather than by the court, there would be no costs.

Do note that the SD should usually be served in the name of the creditor rather than the name of the DCA. It seems strange that the first SD was set aside by consent, yet the builder is still serving more SDs.

I agree that you shouldn't send an SD in relation to a disputed counterclaim. My point was that if the courts had awarded you costs as part of having the SD set aside, you could send an SD in relation to the costs which have been awarded. This would be quite normal even though the main dispute is ongoing. This isn't an option available to you now, but would be an option if you decided to apply for this latest SD to be set aside by the courts and were awarded costs at that time.

Are you saying that because it was set side, even just by the DCA and not a judge, we could still send a bill for the solicitors time through to the builder and demand payment legally?

No, there will be no costs payable if the SD was set aside by consent (unless of course the builder agreed to pay costs, but that seems unlikely).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me!

The solicitor told them early on if he keeps pursuing this and hassling us with debt collectors, instead of the correct remedy which would be for him to take us to court, then we will pursue him for costs when we take him to court down the track, as he is obviously wasting as much of our money as possible just to be a *****.