Harlands/Swift Fitness Cancellation Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly apologies if this isn't posted in the correct place - new to the forum!

So I have an issue with Harlands, seemingly like a lot of other people.

I know a lot of this issue falls on only myself to blame but I do feel like I was not fully informed of what I was signing up to at the time and didn't realise how tied in to this contract I was.

So I joined Swift Fitness in October/November of last year, when I signed up I didn't have anything really explained by any member of staff. He just set up the form to join on his little ipad device which was a pain in the ass to use and I can honestly say I was not aware I was signing up to a year contract that automatically renews and i would be unable to cancel - If I was aware I would not have chosen this gym. Once again my stupid fault for not checking and double checking.

The 'ipad' that I used to sign up was difficult to use (in a way that it was difficult to read and just awful, I'm 22 and work in IT so it's not that I have an issue managing technology) I was also sat in the gym whilst filling in my details so it wasn't a good environment to fully read all the details that I was signing up to even if I could on this little screen. It wasn't until a week or so later a letter came in the post explaining that no matter what I am in this contract for a whole year that will renew unless I say I wish to cancel a month before the end date (November 2015)

At that time I was okay financially and didn't see myself needing to cancel at any time, recently however I've hit bad times financially and personally and just could not see a way of being able to afford my membership this month or in the future. It was either not pay for the gym or not pay for prescriptions/bills which I deem more important in these circumstances. So unfortunately I had to cancel the DD and was going to write to the gym saying I wish to terminate my contract as there seems to be no chance I can manage the payments. I know this was wrong and I should have maybe dealt with this better but being put in the situation I am currently in a gym membership is the least of my worries.

Harlands have sent me a letter saying that I need to pay fees and for this months membership (which I totally understand) but I don't know what to do as I know I won't be able to continue the future payments and want to leave the gym.

Is there anything I can do?

Hi Blooperink,

You need to read other threads here to see how others are dealing with their Harlands/CRS problems.

You'll see we always challenge Harlands admin fees on the basis of them being unlawful, unenforceable penalties.

And you'll see that Harlands have no authority or power, so you can ignore their demands for now. Stay off the phone and don't speak to the gym or Harlands/CRS at all

You say you were financially ok when you joined but you had to cancel the m/ship due to hitting bad times. Can you tell us if you were made redundant, suffered a significant drop in income, or anything else specifically that changed things financially for you ?

When did you cancel the DD mandate.

When was the DD taken each month.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)