DVLA being notified after car being written off by insurance

mrsmushroom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Forgive me if this comes across as long winded or angsty but I could do with some advice. I still feel sick to the stomach thinking about it.

I had an accident in my car on Friday just gone. My fault, I ran into the back of someone, which I admitted was my fault straight away. After speaking to the insurance company, they're going down the total loss route as my car is 12 years old and with the damage it's probably beyond economical repair.

They're saying they will inform the DVLA once they have had the engineers report to say it's being written off. I've asked them what happens with the V5C, do I need to send it to the DVLA or do they? They've said the salvage yard it has been to will send me a letter with a prepaid envelope to send the paper work to and they will sort it out.

I don't know why, but I have a niggly feeling that I can't get rid of that something will go wrong. I suppose I am just looking for some advice really. Do I find out from the insurance company where my car is being held so I can give the storage facility the V5C myself, get them to fill it in and I post it to the DVLA so I know it's been posted? Do I contact the DVLA and make them aware of what's happening, so there's no comebacks on me, i.e. car tax reminders etc.

Sorry, I just feel so gutted and worked up, so would appreciate some advice please. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the reply. The insurance company asked for the V5C, which I sent, first class signed for. They then sent a letter to say they had received the documents and action them as appropriate. However that was 2 weeks ago and the DVLA are still saying they have me down as the registered keeper. Just getting a bit worried as I don't want any come backs and the DVLA are saying to wait 4 weeks before anything can be done

You should have given the insurance the counter part, (as you would with any new keeper), and sent off the V5 yourself.

Contact your insurers and get them to deal with this as since they had the V5 it's up to them to complete the paperwork.

If you are still showing as the registered keeper then the insurance company hasn't done its job and they should be liable for any costs such as fines. I'd put a flea in their ear and say if it's not sorted out I'd be taking them to the county court to recover any costs. That should spur them into action.

As DVLA still consider the OP to be the Registered Keeper it might be an idea for her to SORN the car while the 'transfer' is resolved.

Apart from getting back any unexpired tax, it will avoid DVLA penalties for tax and/or insurance.