Help! Xercise4Less Against the Little Man Again!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Firstly, what a great site this is. You significantly helped a friend of mine, who was in a mass amount of debt due to a failed marriage and a life-changing illness. I truly believe you saved her life!

My complaint is in relation to Xercise4Less.

My husband and I cancelled our gym membership by written notice (within their stipulated 30 day time frame I may add) as we have hit some financial difficulties and also we are not using the gym as much as we should as we are utilising our local park in the summer months. This was on the 27th May (direct debit payments come out of our account on the 25th of every month).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I panicked! I read some reviews on various websites that stated that Harlands (the company that collect Xercise4Less' direct debits) continued to take people's gym payments despite them cancelling moons ago!

As a result, both my husband and I have received administration charges. My husband owed £40 and I owed £30 (no idea why they were different when we joined at the same time and cancelled at the same time). Panicked, we have paid up as whilst we thought they were unfair charges, we didn't want anyone banging our door down, especially as we are already stressed due to financial worries. I have since read that an industry body has stamped down on these unfair admin charges and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me who I should complain to.

I have just written emails to Xercise4Less asking for an explanation, but I am not hopeful, so I was wondering whether anyone knew what the next step may be or whether I should just let this go and let it be a lesson learnt!

Any past experience or advise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Also, I don't know whether this is worth mentioning or not, but I will go ahead anyway. This solely relates to my husband's cancellation. My husband and I sent letters of cancellation on 27th May and we were told they were received on 1st June. On the 1st June, my Xercise4less branch called my husband and stated that if he rang the head office and paid £9.99 there and then, then he would not be liable for charges. My husband explained that he wouldn't have any spare cash until Friday. As promised, he rang on the Friday and explained that he wanted to pay the £9.99 to clear the account. This was accepted and his bank details were taken. It was only after he mentioned that I (his wife) had been charged considerably more to cancel the membership, did the advisor on the end of the call said "Sorry, I have taken £39.99, what did you think I had taken?". I quite clearly heard my husband state £9.99 at the beginning of the call, so I have no idea how the advisor didn't. The advisor refused to accept this, so we immediately rang our bank, who said they would contact Xercise4Less and request a refund, but I am not hopeful that Xercise4Less would accept this!

I can't get over how Xercise4Less think it is fair to charge £20 per failed direct debit payment! Surely, a letter does not cost £20 of anyone's time!

Also, the advisors at the head office are the rudest and incomprehensible advisors I have ever encountered. They talk over you at 100 mph and just shout you down. It's atrocious.

Hi KK and welcome to CAG

This is why we always say, "Stay OFF the phone !!"

My first instinct is to say leave this now, forget it and focus on more important issues. The gym and/or Harlands will not behave honorably and they will not want to help you in any way.

On the other hand, if you KNOW that you were misled into paying £39.99 instead of £9.99, you could ask the gym for a transcript of the call. When he called them on the Friday to pay £9.99, did he call the gym, their HO or Harlands.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I dont know whether anyone else has had this, but I didn't get as far as speaking to Harlands . Xercise 4 Less said if I paid them first and foremost including their £20 administration fee, then it would be cheaper than paying Harlands. When I said 'would harlands let me in smaller sums' , I was told I could do but they would continue to add administration fees until I paid off my membership hence why I paid xercise 4 less (via their leeds head office on the phone ) as I did not want any further admin charges. All calls were to a leeds number (xercise 4 less customer support .

Hi KK,

You should also read other threads here to see the troubles others have with X4Less.

If you want the money refunded, you should drop a letter into your bank asap to confirm your wish in writing, on the grounds that you agreed to pay £9.99 but £39.99 was taken by the gym or Harlands.

The reason for my saying you may consider letting this go, is that Harlands will hound you for months, making increasing demands as they add more admin fees.

We maintain the admin fees are unlawful penalties and should always be challenged.

But if you want to stand up to the gym and/or Harlands we will support you.

Read other threads and let us know what you decide to do.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Yes, I really wish I had read through the threads earlier as I would have thought twice about cancelling the direct debit, but other forums are full of comments relating to how Xercise4Less/Harlands continue to take a direct debit despite people's attempts to cancel.

Just so you are aware, I have paid both mine and my husband's fees to cancel both memberships. Mine totalled £30 (one month's membership and £20 Xercise4Less admin charge) and my husband's cost £40 (two month's membership and £20 admin). I wanted them paid and out of the way, but it was only when I starting researching that I saw many people dispute such unfair admin fees.

I thought I might be chancing it by asking whether it was feasible. People have much more pressing issues that a £70 dual cancellation charge.

Hi KK,

From what you say, the only argument you have is whether the gym took £30 more than you agreed when taking TH's fees. And it may simply be your word against theirs.

If the banks refunds the £39.99 payment, you'll be arguing with the gym and Harlands for months.

I suggest you write this off to experience and forget it. Focus your efforts on sorting out your money problems, without the hassle of Harlands chasing you.