Advice on Car Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My daughter is having problem with her car insurer.

She passed her test last year and cost her £2500.

We have just moved from a town centre to a quiet village. She rang the insurer and they are saying it is a higher risk area and will cost another £55.

This has confused me as we checked on a web site for post codes and they rate post code from A (lowest) - F (highest).

When we checked our old post code it was C and our new address it is A.

What I wanted to know if we complain and require them to prove where we live is a higher risk can the insurer turn around and cancel her insurance?

Thanks

JJ

Hi,

Sorry I'm not sure how they work things but my 17 year old son passed his test last week, he has a Peugot 107 1.0

and his fully comp insurance cost £1600.

The lowest quote he had was £1200 but had to be a one of payment.

He has to Get a Black Box fitted shortly.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi, it is mad how they work it out.

My daughter has a black box fitted as well and it cost her nearly £200 a month.

Her first year is up in September and just looking around she can get it down to £1200 a year.

I just wonder if they have to prove to us the price change due to the post code change

I doubt they would have to prove anything as they seem to make the rules up as they go along.

I found when I added myself as a named driver on my son's policy the price would drop by around £300.

They don't have to prove anything to you I'm afraid. That's their price and you have to lump it until next renewal. When my daughters moved around when they were students I was organising their insurance and with all the insurers it was always the case that wherever they moved the insurer said it was a higher rated area! It never once went down to a lower rated area.

They don't have to prove anything to you I'm afraid. That's their price and you have to lump it until next renewal. When my daughters moved around when they were students I was organising their insurance and with all the insurers it was always the case that wherever they moved the insurer said it was a higher rated area! It never once went down to a lower rated area.

Yes they don't have to provide details of risk calculations. You can ask for a breakdown of how the additional premium has been calculated. It is not unknown for mistakes to be found e.g wrong rate applied or wrong postcode used.

But you can check with a local insurance brokers to see what price comparisons they come up with.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This has confused me as we checked on a web site for post codes and they rate post code from A (lowest) - F (highest).

When we checked our old post code it was C and our new address it is A.

That isn't the insurers own site though, is it? I never come across an insurer that published its rating areas for everyone to see, they're usually closely guarded secrets that they don't want their competitors to know about.

I wouldn't put much faith in whatever website it is that you're looking at. Some insurers might have used only 6 rating areas, A - F, 40 years ago before they had computerised ratings systems but I can't believe any insurer does that nowadays. They have it finely tuned, the rating area can change literally from one street to another. We had more than 6 areas when I started motor insurance underwriting in the 1970s!

The reasons for higher premiums are founded on the Police statistics that more accidents happen on rural roads see this report (2012) see the table on page 69

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

That isn't the insurers own site though, is it? I never come across an insurer that published its rating areas for everyone to see, they're usually closely guarded secrets that they don't want their competitors to know about.

I wouldn't put much faith in whatever website it is that you're looking at. Some insurers might have used only 6 rating areas, A - F, 40 years ago before they had computerised ratings systems but I can't believe any insurer does that nowadays. They have it finely tuned, the rating area can change literally from one street to another. We had more than 6 areas when I started motor insurance underwriting in the 1970s!

A few sites that have advice pages and / or are comparison site affiliates link to what they refer to as Insurers Rating Codes.

The reality is one site copied the rating areas from an Aviva Motorbike Rating Guide from about 10 years ago, I remember using it so recognise it as an exact copy & paste.

It even refers to Motorbikes in certain areas needing to be garaged at night.

People believe it as being accurate.

Very easy to find this on google

Thanks, we went to motorcarinsurance.co.uk. And there is quite a few more who display the same lists.

Myself and my wife's car insurance has gone down, so I think they are just ripping my daughter off.

JJ

It is a con, lets rob the young. They come out with figures like '25% of all new drivers have an accident', so that means 75% of experienced drivers have the other accidents. With insurance companies it's a case of 'lets see what we can get away with'.

It is a con, lets rob the young. They come out with figures like '25% of all new drivers have an accident', so that means 75% of experienced drivers have the other accidents. With insurance companies it's a case of 'lets see what we can get away with'.

Here are Admiral's statistics on young drivers http://www.admiral.com/press-releases/106/shocking-record-of-young-drivers-revealed/

So are you actually standing up for and endorsing the Insurance policies ?

I'm not sure why you're adopting such an aggressive stance, I was posting up relevant statistics from an Insurer

Thanks, we went to motorcarinsurance.co.uk. And there is quite a few more who display the same lists.

Myself and my wife's car insurance has gone down, so I think they are just ripping my daughter off.

JJ

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these "Post Code Ratings" are nothing of the such, one website copied the rating post codes from Aviva's MOTORCYCLE rating guide from about ten years ago.

This bore very little resemblance to car insurance ten years ago and even less now days.

It would not have even been very accurate to have used those rating areas ten years ago to compare with other motor bike insurers.

It gives it away when it states this "* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

Refer"

P.S How do I know these are the Aviva's motorbike rates, before the advent of computer quote systems, we used to have to use manual paper guides to calculate premiums, they contained rates for bikes upto certain cc which later changed into groups in a similar way to cars, post code ratings (See your link for Aviva's from that period) and then the base prices from which you deducted certain discounts eg no claims disconts etc etc.

I had the miss fortune to have to refer to these guides on fairly regular basis to work out prices for customers

My son's getting his Black Box fitted tomorrow :)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these "Post Code Ratings" are nothing of the such, one website copied the rating post codes from Aviva's MOTORCYCLE rating guide from about ten years ago.

This bore very little resemblance to car insurance ten years ago and even less now days.

It would not have even been very accurate to have used those rating areas ten years ago to compare with other motor bike insurers.

It gives it away when it states this "* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

Refer"

P.S How do I know these are the Aviva's motorbike rates, before the advent of computer quote systems, we used to have to use manual paper guides to calculate premiums, they contained rates for bikes upto certain cc which later changed into groups in a similar way to cars, post code ratings (See your link for Aviva's from that period) and then the base prices from which you deducted certain discounts eg no claims disconts etc etc.

I had the miss fortune to have to refer to these guides on fairly regular basis to work out prices for customers

We have three cars in the family, myself and my wife's car insurance has gone down by about £30 each, but my daughters (with a black box fitted) has gone up by £55, their explanation is we are now in a higher risk area that is rubbish. Roll on when here renewal is up so she can dump this company

We have three cars in the family, myself and my wife's car insurance has gone down by about £30 each, but my daughters (with a black box fitted) has gone up by £55, their explanation is we are now in a higher risk area that is rubbish. Roll on when here renewal is up so she can dump this company

As you have discovered, despite that website pretending there is a unified postal code rating areas throughout the Insurance industry that all Insurers rate post codes on a different basis.

However having said the above, I suspect the reason for the extra premium for your daughter is either all an administration charge by the Insurer/Broker or the majority of it is an admin charge. You should be able to check this by looking at the paperwork your received about the extra premium which should be broken down to show any amount that is actually Insurance Premium and any amount that is Administration Charge

Can any one help me, i am paying nearly 1300 pounds a year car insurance fully comp with limited attachments on a 1.4.peaugeot, i really cant aford this for much longer my job will go, my kids will suffer .The reason is my old insurance company Aviva who are so useless i wouldnt ever use if they were the last ones,They have it on national data base i have made two big claims,i made one claim for 400 dand no others aviva have admitted there mistake.Now the company i have insuring me now called IGO ARE CHARGING ME FOR THIS MISTAKE AND TELL ME I MUST SORT IT OUT IM GETTIN ABSOLUTLY NO WHERE IM DESPERATE CAN ANY ONE [PLEASE HELP MANY THANKS