"Do you have any cautions or criminal convictions?"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am applying for a job in a call centre for a well known transport company. This is a simple helpdesk job. There's no mention of CRB or DBS in the job description and it is definitely not a job that involves working with minors or vulnerable people.

Almost at the end of a very long online application I get asked:

"Do you have any cautions or criminal convictions?"

There is no mention of whether they are spent or unspent. I do have a caution and a minor conviction (paid with a fine) circa 20 years ago, and that is definitely spent.

There is no way to call the HR or personnel dept by phone or email.

I am tempted to say "No" and then explain this at an eventual interview, but I fear they could use this against me later in case they meant asking for spent convictions.

How should I behave in this case?

If it doesn't specifically advise that you aren't entitled to the protections of The Rehabilitation of Offenders Legislation, and it isn't obvious to you that the post is exempt (medical, law, criminal justice) : I'd reply "No" if your conviction is spent.

I state this even with my post history of saying "better to disclose if you think it will come out".

If they later make it clear the post is exempt and you have to reveal a spent conviction, you can do so at that time and explain that the exemption wasn't made clear at the online application stage.

• Confused 1