Damaging Search Engine Information.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please excuse me if this is not the right area for my query, I am new to the site.

I have 2 friends that have been in prison, they have dearly paid for their crimes both in custodial sentences and extremely large fines. Both of them are now supposed to be 'Free' and they have been released (one of them nearly 5 years ago) some time.

The issue for them is a) When they were going through the legal process their cases were put on the web by newspapers and others. b) When anyone does a search these blatantly incorrect and extremely damaging and biased reports are found fairly high up the search engines even 5 years after the effect.

The individuals involved have tried to contact the webmasters at these organisations but they just don't reply. Whilst we know they have committed a crime, what is the rehabilitation of offenders act for if not to allow them to try and re integrate back into society.

They are not sure who or what they can do (if anything) to have these incorrect, old, obsolete and damaging reports removed from the web.

Could anyone offer any advice even on what legal process could be followed. I know you could try and seek a court injunction to get content removed from search engines, but this legal process appears to be mainly for copyright type infringements, the law for anything else seems a little un clear.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

John.

Hi

Please excuse me if this is not the right area for my query, I am new to the site.

I have 2 friends that have been in prison, they have dearly paid for their crimes both in custodial sentences and extremely large fines. Both of them are now supposed to be 'Free' and they have been released (one of them nearly 5 years ago) some time.

The issue for them is a) When they were going through the legal process their cases were put on the web by newspapers and others. b) When anyone does a search these blatantly incorrect and extremely damaging and biased reports are found fairly high up the search engines even 5 years after the effect.

The individuals involved have tried to contact the webmasters at these organisations but they just don't reply. Whilst we know they have committed a crime, what is the rehabilitation of offenders act for if not to allow them to try and re integrate back into society.

They are not sure who or what they can do (if anything) to have these incorrect, old, obsolete and damaging reports removed from the web.

Could anyone offer any advice even on what legal process could be followed. I know you could try and seek a court injunction to get content removed from search engines, but this legal process appears to be mainly for copyright type infringements, the law for anything else seems a little un clear.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

John.

The Rehab of Offenders (RoO) legislation means the Offender can regard offences as 'spent', and they won't have to be disclosed on (non-exempt) applications nor show on basic and standard DBS checks once spent.

It isn't that they get erased (for example they show on an enhanced DBS check, even if 'spent'), and must be disclosed on "exempt from RoO" applications.

There is little they can do to prevent people doing web searches on them.

What they can do is to do their own searches on themselves and list the incorrect information.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/files/factsheets/factsheet_data_protection_en.pdf

They are unlikely to be able to remove truthful citations that note any significant criminality.

I have moved your thread to General Legal issues, I think although Bazza has answered your question, you might also receive more notice in the correct forum :)

You need do nothing, it is purely administrative and you will still be able to find and post on your thread.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D