NHS to charge British Expats for all services just as they do foreigners

jonny2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a retired British (Welsh) national now living comfortably in the Philippines. Although I do not envisage needing to return to the UK for required medical interventions (I am Diabetic 2, Have an enlarged Prostate, and take warfarin after open heart surgery in 1993) I do feel very insulted that even though I have paid into the NHS through taxes and NI for over 40 years, I am now being denied their services because I choose to live abroad. If a young person chooses to live and bwork abroad he will have cover in that country for health needs and so it would be right that if he was temporarily in the UK then he shouls pay something at least (Unless there is a reciprocal agreement between two countries), however it seems that at every turn Pensioners are being hammered and trodden on by the Government and through them by various agencies in the UK including the NHS.

What actually are our rights as consumers in these matters?

E J jones

NHS care is residence based.

I did read some time ago that UK citizens who are now living abroad will be entitled to free NHS services if they have paid enough NI contributions.

Accident and emergency treatment is free, no matter who the person is.

If you have specific questions, I can email an NHS finance officer who is also a friend and provide you with answers.

I am a retired British (Welsh) national now living comfortably in the Philippines. Although I do not envisage needing to return to the UK for required medical interventions (I am Diabetic 2, Have an enlarged Prostate, and take warfarin after open heart surgery in 1993) I do feel very insulted that even though I have paid into the NHS through taxes and NI for over 40 years, I am now being denied their services because I choose to live abroad. If a young person chooses to live and bwork abroad he will have cover in that country for health needs and so it would be right that if he was temporarily in the UK then he shouls pay something at least (Unless there is a reciprocal agreement between two countries), however it seems that at every turn Pensioners are being hammered and trodden on by the Government and through them by various agencies in the UK including the NHS.

What actually are our rights as consumers in these matters?

E J jones

If you returned intending to become permanently resident in the UK again, you'd be entitled to free NHS hospital care.

If you returned (whilst not intending to become permanently resident in the UK again), you might be covered for new conditions (rather than pre-existing conditions), for free NHS hospital care. Do you receive the UK state pension? (Or other state benefits......)

The fly in the ointment is if you can't show you intend to become permanently resident in the UK again, and have pre-existing conditions, even if you receive the UK state pension .....

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/healthcare_w/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm