Lloyds TSB Charges Reclaim

fkofilee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Between 2007 and 2012 I was a Lloyds TSB customer, I earned less that £14000 a year during that period and was getting hefty bank charges.

These would swallow up nearly a third of my salary every month.

It almost totalled to £2500...

How would i reclaim this?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

there was that recent thread/case, in the newsletter, where certain charges were held illegal/unfair under unfair terms. but dont know whether that wld be applicable?

Historically it was them, they would mess up one of my DDs, they would authorise payment even though the account may have no funds and the DD would STILL go through...

Or they would still try to process payment even though i had cancelled the DD, my monetary outgoings at the time were very close to the wire with minimal expendable funds as I was renting a property at the time.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

This may not be the news you wanted to hear, but hopefully it's helpful.

In principle, you can't reclaim bank charges. You can put your case to Lloyds about being in financial hardship and they can consider your situation and if they agree they will offer a solution (which can include a refund of recent charges but is not the only option open to them). However, they only need to consider current financial hardship, so you would be relying HEAVILY on their goodwill for any kind of refund.

Of course the legal route is available to you if you wanted to argue about the charge being unfair. I don't know how successful that would be though... maybe somebody else could advise further on that aspect?

Historically it was them, they would mess up one of my DDs, they would authorise payment even though the account may have no funds and the DD would STILL go through...

In that case, it wasn't Lloyds that put you overdrawn.

Not having the funds available is irrelevant - the banks aren't responsible for managing your finances like that, they were your direct debits, so it was your own payment(s) that took you overdrawn.

Or they would still try to process payment even though i had cancelled the DD, my monetary outgoings at the time were very close to the wire with minimal expendable funds as I was renting a property at the time.

Quite simply, you didn't cancel the direct debit within the agreed and necessary timescale.

Yes, I saw that case. It was a very good win.

I did think about that and I'm going to wait th response from their complaints team.

As for the points above with BCOBS and it being my fault going over drawn... Not all of it Is my fault. They permitted the charges to continue even after I have budgeted to their charges it became a downward spiral...

BCOBS is a useful tool and I'm learning more about it every day

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

This may not be the news you wanted to hear, but hopefully it's helpful.

In principle, you can't reclaim bank charges. You can put your case to Lloyds about being in financial hardship and they can consider your situation and if they agree they will offer a solution (which can include a refund of recent charges but is not the only option open to them). However, they only need to consider current financial hardship, so you would be relying HEAVILY on their goodwill for any kind of refund.

Of course the legal route is available to you if you wanted to argue about the charge being unfair. I don't know how successful that would be though... maybe somebody else could advise further on that aspect?

In that case, it wasn't Lloyds that put you overdrawn.

Not having the funds available is irrelevant - the banks aren't responsible for managing your finances like that, they were your direct debits, so it was your own payment(s) that took you overdrawn.

Quite simply, you didn't cancel the direct debit within the agreed and necessary timescale.

You say it was the account holders fault. Now following your logic on my account, Lloyds honoured a DD for a loan, to them selves, then refused, on the same day others. Had they honoured all the others and not the one, to themselves, the account wod not have become overdrawn AND I would not have incurred all their charges which, as I could get out of the spiral then. Ended up totalling around £1500.00!

Yes it was my fault I had more DDs due than I had money but had they applied one rule or the other, i.e honour or don't then I wouldn't have received the charges that meant I couldn't find getting the account back out of the Red. So, in common with other banks, their practices and lending policies were weighted very much in their own favour.

As for the points above with BCOBS and it being my fault going over drawn... Not all of it Is my fault. They permitted the charges to continue even after I have budgeted to their charges it became a downward spiral...

You say it was the account holders fault.

I didn't say it was your/the account holders fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update, 3 weeks ago i hand delivered the letter to branch to be sent to the Execs office.

Rang yesterday for an update and strangely enough their IVR found my account details and transferred me through to phone banking.

I explained everything, she said she couldnt ID&V me and id need to go into branch and show my ID. I told her I Wasnt doing this as Ive done it 3 times before and it makes no difference.

She eventually gave up trying to palm me off an dtransferred me to her Customer Services Complaints team (An oxymoron in my view)

I asked why I hadnt received any acknowledgement and she had no idea, she had a quick look into it and spoke to the branch, came back and told me "Quote" one of the most angering things ever,

The letter never left the branch, they have just found it sat in a cupboard from 3 weeks ago.

I do want to apologise for this, they should have sent this to the address as requested.

I nearly blew steam. I sent this to their Head Office addressed to Antonio whats-his-face. No response yet.

Anyway, she then continued on and went through the process of raising a complaint about the charges etc.

She asked me about whether I had ever received a refund, etc - No

She also asked me how much in charges i had received etc - £320 Returned DD Fees & £2100 Unauthorised OD Fees

She then said she would come back to me next week. I wont hold my breath but i suspect they wont help.

Anyway, Lets see what happens :)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well they have said no... Why doesnt that surprise me?

Anyway i did get a £40 GWG for losing my letter and the phone call I had to make.

They said their decision is that they did 2 I+E back in 2009 and this constitutes them supporting me as best they could (With 2 x £115 Charges Refunds).

What about all the rest of my money? Anyhow... This isnt a success but worth a go.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis