Halifax PPI - Sent cheque but should I cash it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am currently going through the reclaiming of PPI from Halifax..

but I am also considering applying for additional compensation to help me make repayments of the loan,

I took out a loan through B O S ( Halifax), but insisted on a sound and secure insurance protection..

Reason being that I had a Stroke a couple of years previous

and wanted to protect myself.. I was also Self Employed!!

So as to kept this first step short.

. I went to great lengths to cover myself, and now I have been ill again.

. second minor Stroke the Halifax has told me

" I am not Covered.. As I had a previous Stroke"

Can I ask/Demand additional Compensation to cover the problems I am now experiencing

because of the false information given at the time.

. I think I have a case, I have the Transcripts from a telephone conversation,

Where I ask if a previous medical Condition will effect the policy and the reply being

" Not if its over 12 months since you had the Problem ( 1st Stroke) It is also states that I quoted "

If I cant have a policy that gives me 100% protection, I don't want ANY loan or credit.

So Far I have been ignored by both Halifax Insurance and BoS

Any advise or information would be invaluable

Hi

The norm is that the bank will refund the premiums paid to date plus the bank's interest charged on them plus 8% compensation on them too. If the loan is live then it should be restructured fo rthe part of the loan yet to be repaid to remove the future ppi from it.

The only way to get increased compensation would be to sue for it and you would need to be prepared to get into a court room and put your case before a judge.

ims

Thanks ims

I am thinking i might look into taking the problem to court.

but i gather it may be an up hill task, and then who do I sue..

the loan provider BoS or the insurance Halifax who gave incompetent advise.

The loan is still live, and I am struggling with the repayments, I have written to BoS to ask for a period of suspension,

so I can recover and get back to working again.. not heard anything back yet.

I've got the claim for PPI being processed. and the repayment amount has been reduced to remove the PPI section..

Do you think I would be wasting my time thinking Court and causing myself more problems

Hi

Well first, the target for court action would be the same part of the business who are refunding your ppi at the moment.

Now they will of course offer redress under fos rules and if you accept their offer then any subsequent action may prove difficult as the court could look om it that an offer has been accepted already.

I would guess that, given the scenario you describe, you would be seeking damages but my understanding is that monetary damages are difficult to calculate/quantify. I would say that you would have to reject their fos/FSA based offer and look at a claim based on unjust enrichment by the bank by virtue of them having your money and earning profits on it while having deprived you of your money.

You would certainly have to put a case together and be prepared to argue and stand your ground in court with, of course, no guarantee of a win.

The other thing to think about is how much you are going to get back from the claim which is currently going through. Would the amount you get back assist you in paying the loan for a period of time while you recover?

I think it is all a matter of balance...is it worth taking what they are offering and be done with it or do you prolong it in the hope of getting more but with no guarantee at the end of it?

ims

• Confused 1

Halifax and BoS are one and the same.. Halifax Bank of Scotland - HBoS :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for your advice guys

Its good to get a second opinion, I was thinking the same. I would be wasting my time and effort and getting nothing. but to hear it from another source at least makes it feel better. I will argue any offer once its made. asking for a sum as compensation for their ill advice and go from there,

I know Halifax and BoS are the same.. but in their previous correspondence to me they played separate roles blaming the other one for mistakes. BUT BoS also threatened that they could raid my Halifax accounts if I did defaulted on a payment, they want it both ways.

I really do appreciate your advise

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a quick question..

I sent off my claim for PPI to BOS three weeks ago,

received the normal "Sorry about your complaint letter" about a week ago..

Today I receive another letter from BoS..

this included an eight page questionnaire,

asking some difficult lengthy questions.

Just asking if this is a normal procedure..

or.. a deceitful way of making me "Slip up" so they can refuse the claim.

I have also made a complaint to them.

That i would NOT have used the loan offer at the time,

if loan could not be covered correctly

As I was self employed and had a previous illness/disability (had a Stroke)at the time the insurance cover

would NOT be available to cover repayments, sales agent lied..

SO I suggested to BOS they offer additional compensation,

as I have been ill again and finding repayments difficult.

BOS have also made a number of unregistered credit checks over the past 3 weeks..

Hi

Good stuff.

Also, don't take the bank's word on any redress offer they make to you. You should really calculate it yourself so you can check against any offer they make.

Have a read of No.1 in my signature below

Regards

ims

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am wondering if anybody has taken up a case against mis-sold payment protection. BUT not as a refund but in the form of compensation, as the PPI was sold incorrectly..

I was sold a small loan from BoS.. and would only accept this loan, if I could have in place a policy to protect me, if I became ill or unable to work.

I had suffered a previous Stroke 2002, and was self employed (freelance assessor) I was given guarantees that a policy could be arranged to protect payments. even Though I made it perfectly clear in writing, that I had a Pre Existing Medical Condition and was self employed

I took advantage of the Loan and for 18 months I continued to pay both loan and Policy.

In 2009, I had a 2nd Minor Stroke.. I could not return to work..I Made a claim,and in short was told the policy did not cover me.I made a complaint,, and stopped repayments..

BoS have listened to my complaints, and have stopped any collection activity, until I can sort this out.

Halifax Insurance, Has offered the normal PPI refund,, but will not take any responsibility, for the loan repayments ( they have for 12 months Ignored ALL my letters)

This is the basic details, what other action can be taken,, I gave them all the correct information, and they provided cover, now they will not honour the promises they made me, even though its in writing

Any Idea's

For mis-sold PPI on a loan you should get back the premiums you paid, plus any interest on that part of the loan plus 8% simple interest running from the date the payments were made to the date of settlement of the claim.

Have you got your agreement (or the figures from it) and a record of the repayments you have made?

is the guarantee in writing..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk

Yes, I have confirmation in an email reply,

I emailed the sales adviser details of my Medical Condition (Stroke) and Self Employment,

She replied Thanking me for the Information.. and said

" As the Pre- Exsisting medical condition, was NOT within the past 12 month period, it will not effect the application"

The conversations where recorded for Training Purposes.. but Halfax Insurance (Ireland) now say they can not locate the file Recording on their system.

I have successfully claimed back other PPI refund claims..

But I would like Halfax Insurance (Ireland) to honour their promises,

Or at least take some responsibilty for the claim made..

I am not in a financial position to file a complaint through courts.

My Letters to Halifax Insurance have been ignored, even tho sent recorded..

if you have it in B&W by email

you need to find someone to fwd that on to.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I have been in a battle with Halifax Insurance over PPI..

I was blatantly miss sold a loan and insurance with Halifax..

18 months after starting the repayments, I had a 2nd Stroke and made a claim.

Its a long story (as they normal are) but I had my first stroke in 2001,

and was told it would not effect any claim i might make in the future..

I got this in writing from Halifax (Ireland)

Made a claim, which was rejected on the grounds "I had a previous related illness/Accident" and previous health issue..

They are currently refusing to answer my letters,

but every 6 months I get a letter demanding I repay the loan.

. I will not go through the details of this now,

But I did not accepted their repayment offer for the PPI miselling

To Get to the Point

Today I received a letter from Halifax/ St Andrews Insurance PLC with a cheque for £514.73

in the letter they state

" We no longer require our customers to sign and return an acceptance form to process payment,

to resolve this matter we enclose a cheque for £514.73 in final settlement

IF i cash this cheque will it also close my claim against Halifax to honour the claim I made to cover the loan repayments,

and enable them to seek payment of the loan

I have refused to make the loan repayments as the loan was insured!!

Any Advise or opinions would be gratefully received

I will try and find someone who can help :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

4 threads merged for history

please keep to one thread

dx

and they

I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread when you first posted it well over a year ago.

Because they were very clear about the existence of your first stroke – and also because very wisely you have managed to record the conversation, you can force them to pay out on the insurance rather than recover the refunds of the premiums.

You need to decide which is the more valuable to you. You won't be able to have both.

Do not cash the cheque until you have done the calculations. Even now you will have caused some problems by having begun the claim because they will say – they will try to say – that you have waived your rights to the insurance cover. However, I think that with a bit of argument we can overcome that.

Please do all the sums and decide whether it is financially better to enforce the insurance cover against them or to accept the refunds.

I suspect that it is going to be much better for you to enforce the insurance cover. We will help you.

how much is outstanding on the loan

can we also see the agreement please you signed

HOW TO UPLOAD DOCUMENTS / IMAGES ON CAG IMMEDIATELY YOU DO NOT NEED 10 POSTS

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG

YOU MUST ensure that you REMOVE all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc

ENSURE: To leave all Monetary Figures and Dates.

DO NOT USE A BIRO, PEN, SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS TO EDIT THE INFORMATION

1. SCAN YOUR DOCUMENT

- Set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300 DPI (150 will do)

- Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture (jpg) file

- Don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

- If you have multiple scans/pictures please put these into a WORD DOC first ensuring you have removed all Personal Information before converting to PDF.

if you dont have MSOFFICE, use openoffice its free and has a PDF converter.

- IPHONE ONLY: Take a picture and Convert to PDF via an APP

2. HOW TO EDIT (Remove Personal Information)

- Do this using MSPAINT.EXE or any Photo Editing program and ensure to save the document.

PLEASE TRY AND REFRAIN FROM POSTING FILES OF +1Mb in size

a single sheet of a4 should be about 50kb.

3. HOW TO CONVERT YOUR DOCUMENT TO PDF

- If you have OFFICE installed this has an installable PRINT to PDF option so use this and save as PDF.

- If you have PDF as an installed driver use this program and save as PDF.

OR Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites:

- http://freejpgtopdf.com/

- http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

- http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

- http://www.pdfmerge.com/

- http://www.primopdf.com/

PLEASE REMEMBER: It would be better to upload a Multi-page PDF rather than multiple Single PDFs.

4. BEFORE UPLOADING YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- Logically Name your PDF File so Users know what it is. DO NOT NAME YOUR FILE USING BANK NAMES OR CAG IN THE TITLE

- For Example: Default Notice DDicon-MM-YYYY.

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG please ensure that you do a final check that all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc. are REMOVED before carrying out the NEXT STEP

5. HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- In your Thread/Post open a new msg box here.

- Click 'Go Advanced' below the msg box.

- Click 'Manage Attachments' below that box.

- Click the 'Add Files' button on the top right.

- Click 'Select Files', navigate to your file(s) on your PC.

- Click 'Upload Files'.

- You DON’T have to put a link to the attachment in the msg box just upload it ……… JOB DONE

- You can click on your links to check them too!!

and they

Hi and Thanks so much for your quick response.

My original loan was for £3k, I did not even apply for it,

I got sold it by an ambitious tele sales operator, par for the course in 2009.

Even I know her facts where incorrect, which is why I asked recorded the info and asked for it in writing.

Halifax have offered to reduce the loan to £1,500.00 "To Put Things" right (Quote from a letter dated 3rd Jan 2013) i rejected the offer.

I have heard nothing from them since, even though I have written to the same person,

who did not reply, his letter did state " IN FINAL RESPONSE" in the same manner

"Without Prejudice" is written Bold Capitals on the first page.

I have had ONE demanding letter from MARLIN 9th Jan 2014 who informed me the debt had been sold to them!!

I replied enclosing a detailed account of the facts in held.. I've heard nothing from them since.

Every letter I send is recorded.

I have just finished a phone call to St Andrew Insurance Customer services I have been informed

1. They now do not need my authority to issue a refund..

2. They now consider the part of the complaint closed

3. My issue/complaint is with Halifax, who sold the loan and PPI incorrectly

The adviser has just said I quote

" Best you just cash the cheque and make a payment to Marlin" what I joker..

I don't altogether understand all the maths of it.

I understand that you had a loan and that it was protected by a PPI insurance - correct?

They have now refunded you your PPI premiums in a cheque which you have not yet accepted - correct?

If the PPI had been honoured then you would have been able to pay off the entire loan - correct?

Please can you set it out for me carefully and chonologically.

Also, it will be helpful if you will stick to this thread, not keep on starting others and if you would stay with us until a resolution has been achieved instead of disappearing for several months or more at a time. All of that.

so what are marlins after please

in 2013 it was offered at £1500

and now?

the whole loan should be written off

total mis-sale from day one

the FOS would eat them for breakfast.

dx

and they

Dear Bankfodder

Thank you for your reply,

my apologies I did not realise I was starting new threads,

I have not posted for several months as I've not heard from either Halifax Bank, Halifax Insurance,

or any Debt Collection for a year.

even though I have written to Halifax twice they have not answer,

after read info on CAG I now realise the importance of "IN FINAL RESPONSE" should have read this before

I have also been effected by the 2nd stroke, my brain is now like a old computer very very slow to process info

.. so please bear with me..

You are correct in all your statements..

Thanks again for your help