Red Route (Croydon) - PCN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me out with some advice.

Got a PCN for parking in a loading bay on a red route just south of Purley.

I appealed against it and they have rejected that appeal.

I was driving into London with a friend who suddenly developed serious cramp in his legs. He was in a lot of pain, so I pulled over the first chance I got, into a loading bay on a red route. He got out and he stretched his legs and I went with him to make sure he was alright. We were stationary for less than 3 minutes.

A week later I got a PCN and a £130 fine. I appealed and pointed at that I was in a loading bay and we were there for less than the 20 minutes allowed. There reply states that no loading was seen by the camera operator, and this itself constitutes a contravention. They then go on to say: "Legislation does not set out a universal definition of loading... The general interpretation... is that the it should be in the nature of a collection/delivery... Loading is the operation of transferring goods which require a vehicle to transport them."

As I live in Worcester, where there are no red routes, I guess I never understood that stopping for two minutes in a loading zone on a red route would constitute an offence, or that I would be watched doing it! I was just wondering if there is anyway I have any defence on emergency grounds, i.e. by having a passenger who was shouting out in pain was distracting me and therefore causing a hazard to other road users.

Any thoughts?

TIA for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

The signs are quite clear they state 'no stopping except loading' even in a normal loading bay in your average High street stopping to stretch your legs is a contravention as its not loading or unloading. If you are past the discount period then you could go to PATAS and try stating it was an emergency but if you are still at discount I'd personally pay if you have no other grounds of appeal.