Unarranged overdraft fees and charges

j3lly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping someone can offer some advice

I have a bank account with Santander that I haven't used since end of September when I opened a joint account elsewhere with my partner

I recieved a letter from Santander on Saturday notifying me the account was overdrawn this is the first letter I remember seeing. I thought I had cancelled all direct debits but must have missed one so I logged into online banking planning to transfer some money across but was shocked at the amount I'm overdrawn.

Oct 4th they honoured a card payment of £4.95

Oct 6th Unpaid direct debit of £6.95

Oct 31st charged me £10 for paying the £4.95 when no money in acct

Oct 31st charged me £24 unarranged overdraft fee

Oct 31st charged me £10 for unpaid direct debit

Dec 2nd charged £66 unarranged overdraft fee

I'm now £121.90 overdrawn I can't afford this I was only expecting a £10 charge is there anything I can do to reduce this?

If jilly3

If your suffering 'Hardship' because of the charges deducted, you could consider sending the following, send it Recorded Delivery:-

You need to personilze the templatelink3.gif below. Banks don't like templates.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/s...laim-fees.html

(Your name and address)

(Name and address of bank)

(Date)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account number:

I am writing to reclaim all bank charges on my account(s) (since X date, when you believe you entered financial hardship). I am unhappy that these charges have been applied to my account and in this letter I am registering my complaint and I request that you immediately stop applying further charges to my account.

I need you consider my case as a matter of urgency as I believe I am in financial hardship. This is because (state reasons: i.e. you are unable to meet priority financial commitments including, but not limited to, council tax, food and utility bills. If your income includes benefits state what they are, and give details of any circumstances which have changed recently i.e loss of job, relationship breakdown, serious illness, stating how this has affected your financial situation.) I attach evidence to show my monthly income and outgoings.

I therefore request that you repay all my default charges since (X date) which total (X amount).

Under the FCA guidelines, (name of bank) has 8 weeks to resolve my complaint. I trust that you will deal with my case within this period. If not, I will refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

I look forward to receiving a full response to this letter within 14 days

Yours faithfully,

signature

(PRINTED NAME)

You should also include the following documents:

EVIDENCE OF INCOME/ OUTGOINGS

A COPY OF YOUR BANK CHARGES

EVIDENCE OF BENEFIT ENTITLEMENT

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/bank-charges.html