ESA- Is this right?

dch76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I recently made a claim for ESA on Monday 17th November 2014 and

I received a letter yesterday saying that my claim has been accepted and I will get £72.40 per week,

however when looking in my bank today they have only given me £51.72.

I know that I lose the first 7 days, but why is it only £51.72?

Is this right?

My sick note from the doctor was for two weeks.

Also they say my sick note runs on 30th November, and to get a sick note to them by the 1st December,

however I could only get in to see my doctor on the 1st December,

will this be ok as long as I send the sick note the same day i get it?

I am really worried now.

Esa is paid in arrears not in advance, maybe this is your confusion?

send the med cert as soon as you can, your payment (if any are due during that time) will be held until they process the med cert. In future make a note of when the med cert ends and book a gp appt a week or two before - it doesn't matter if the med certs overlap.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Thanks Estellyn :) ahh of course that is where I have got confused lol

That was the only appointment I could get as she specifically wanted to see me in two weeks time as she has put me on medication and has to see me two weeks after the 17th, so thats why I had to make it 1st Dec, as obviously 30th November is a Sunday. But I will bear it in mind for future sick notes, especially as its getting near xmas.

Thanks again, I appreciate it :)

They changed the rules on October this year that people claiming JSA or ESA do not get the first 7 days of their claim, it states that in the letter I received.

Here is where it states:

From 27 October 2014 there has been an increase in the waiting days from 3 to 7 days this means you will not be paid for the first 7 days of your claim.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance

I'm incredibly shocked myself, it is absolutely disgusting!

At the very least it should be backdated - just more austerity savings against the poor I guess. As I said though, this cannot be legal? Maybe when I rent somewhere else I should say to the landlord "I am not set up how I want it yet so I am not paying a full months rent, here is 3 weeks so I can have a week to set the place up how I want it"

So, money you are claiming genuinely and need through no fault of your own you do not get paid for for 7 days? That cannot be legal or ethically right?

It's legal because the legislation allows it. As to ethical, well, I'm not sure that's really one of the main concerns of our insect overlords...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I thought the exact same about the legalities. I am absolutely broke and am having to borrow money from family to pay for food because of this stupid new rule.

See if you can get a referral to a food bank. Also speak to your council for a hardship fund.

It's disgusting that this new law means that people like you should have to suffer. :( Not everyone is lucky enough to have friends and family who they can borrow money, nor does everyone have savings.

• Haha 1