possible inadequate servicing of boiler.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi not sure if this in the right forum.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice people can give.

I have a 9 year old Combi boiler which for the last 5-6 years has been serviced annually by one of the large utility companies under one of their boiler care schemes. Prior to this the boiler was maintained annually by their main competitor.

I have just had to call them out due to the boiler failing to work and dropping into the protection cut out mode when heating or hot water was operated. On inspecting the boiler it was found there were multiple minor leaks from pipe work around the combustion chamber and possible minor leaks from the primary heat exchanger within the combustion chamber. The gas rail attached to the burner is corroded (but not perforated yet) and the bottom of the combustion chamber is extensively rusted to the extent it falls apart when touched. The company have condemned the boiler and disconnected it.

The boiler was serviced 12 months ago and they were out to fit a new diverter valve to the boiler about 4 months ago.

I cant see how the corrosion could have become so extensive in just 12 months given the steel is galvanised and I have had sheets of mild steel sat outside my house for the last 3 years that have only suffered surface corrosion.

I am therefore somewhat concerned at the level of care they have been applying to our boiler service and repair. I have raised this as a concern whilst enquiring about booking a quote for a replacement boiler. The response was simply “We did not fit the boiler so how can you be sure the leaks and corrosion are down to a lack of adequate servicing on our part and not an issue from how the boiler was installed.” I reminded the lady that they had been maintaining the boiler for the last 5-6 years and they only repaired it 4 months ago. At this point she refused to discuss this aspect further and advised me to write to them.

Do people think I have any grounds to argue that the company should offer a contribution towards a new boiler or a partial refund of the annual fees (£300 a year) I have been paying them for 5-6 years to keep the boiler working. Alternatively do I need to accept the boiler is dead and pay to have it replaced and hope the new one lasts much longer.

All advise gratefully received.

The big companies don't really service the boilers.

I used them one year and for a "cheap" £165 the guy measured the emissions and gave the thumb up.

Real boiler technicians clean all the serviceable parts and check for any leak, corrosion and suitability of gas supply to the boiler.

This takes around 30/40 minutes and costs £70.

Stay well clear of the big bosses and support your local independent gas safe registered technician.

They're usually much better and cheaper and explain every thing they do.

I don't know if you can claim anything against the cost of a new boiler, but when you replace it, don't be tempted to go to the big guys again for their worthless warranty.

Good boilers are guaranteed for 5 years parts and labours, so any other warranty is useless.

What's the name of the maintenance company? Is it really in their interest to maintain it, when they can sell you a new one when it fails. It's like BG saying the parts aren't available when they clearly are. Don't rely on what the maintenance company tell you, check it out online.

It's like BG saying the parts aren't available when they clearly are. Don't rely on what the maintenance company tell you, check it out online.

Interesting comment as it is British Gas who have been servicing our boiler and who have condemned it. I have them coming tonight to quote for replacement but I am expecting the quotes to be at least £1500 more than the two quotes I already have. They just qoted a friend £3700 after scrappage discounts to replace a basic combi boiler with a new Worcester unit.

Interesting comment as it is British Gas who have been servicing our boiler and who have condemned it. I have them coming tonight to quote for replacement but I am expecting the quotes to be at least £1500 more than the two quotes I already have. They just qoted a friend £3700 after scrappage discounts to replace a basic combi boiler with a new Worcester unit.

Wow, that's a bit steep!

£3700 for a Worchester Bosch boiler?

What model is it?

How many radiators do you have?

If you have less than 10 radiators and they're not being replaced, a full power flush, boiler, certificate and labour shouldn't come to more than £2000.

I recommended my gas safe man to 3 friends this year, all for new boilers and keeping existing radiators and all charged under £2000.

And I got my service done for free!

You can check how much the boiler is yourself if you know the model number.

You can then see for yourself what they charge for a day work.

I know plumbare expensive these days, but they can't make £2000 in a day and get away with it.

Arm yourself with information and get other quotes.

British gas will probably ask their standard £7K (including the £400 discount) 😅

Well British gas came and quoted £2650 after a £800 customer discount so the basic installation started at £3450. Independent quotes were around £2200.

As I could not afford that I went back through the paperwork for my service agreement and discovered that contrary to the impression given there is no limit on the spend to repair the boiler if parts are available. They have now come back out and agreed to replace all the corroded parts and to repair the leak that caused the problem. Just got to wait a further 10+ days for the parts to come in so they can get it repaired. lets hope the temperature does not drop.

Thank you to everyone for the advise given.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear British Gas you get worse.

So as I had not had an update I phoned British Gas on Monday. They advised me the parts arrived last week so they had booked a visit on 24/11/2014 to fit the parts. I expressed surprise that A they expected me to wait until 24/11/2014 without heating or hot water and B they expected me to know without being told that they intended to visit on 24/11/2014. They then agreed to move the fitting to today as this would be the last day they could do it as the engineer would then be on holiday until 24/11/2014.

This morning at 09:50 I received a phone call from the engineer to say they would not be coming as they had ordered the wrong parts and needed to get them reordered and they might be able to get them by Thursday.

I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to get put through to the complaints department only to be told they can not put me through because the complaints department are too busy so are not answering calls.

British Gas should be well ashamed of themselves.

As a matter of interest, does this make all their consumer friendly advertising.. misleading ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D