• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mbna refuse to forget me

mere
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for an mbna credit card.

They demanded 3 months bank statements I asked why. They said to verify your income.

I said the agency I work through will certify my income, they insisted on the bank statements.

I said I wasn't prepared to hand over bank statements as I didn't need the credit and it was not worth it just for airmiles.

Because mbna upfront the obtaining of security information

I was now in a position where they had the same security information as the other credit card I have

(same password, mothers maiden name) plus they had all the account details.

Yes I said the same password, for me it is the lesser evil than having several passwords

that I now have to write down (which to me is a worse security risk).

When I called mbna to terminate my application they took me through security

in the course of which the operator repeated to me my entire password.

Now to my understanding they are not supposed to know this and it is an obvious security risk if they do.

I am accustomed to a bank accomplishing security checks by asking for certain characters of my password.

I pointed out that as I had terminated the application it was unacceptable for them to retain my security information and they should delete it.

That was 6 months ago.

Since then I have written and been sent responses where they have asked me to call.

When I call I am told that they want me to go through security and I tell them I'm not doing that because they shouldn't have that information.

So they have had a formal complaint and a Section 10 notice asking them to delete my information.

In the complaint I said I believed their security was lax and not competently administered a

nd put me at risk as they were holding the same information as other financial institutions who I do hold accounts with.

I wrote this letter at the end of April.

In July while I was abroad

I was alerted that somebody had obtained my password and attempted to access my credit card account online,

consequently my card had been cancelled and I would have to change m my password.

I rely totally on credit cards while abroad so was left more or less financially stranded by this.

In August mbna produced their letter full of regret and tell the ombudsman if you're not satisfied.

I told them that things had moved on - my account had been hacked

which was exactly the consequence I had warned them of and they were being held responsible.

I also told them they had not responded to the section 10 notice.

They replied denying receipt of the section 10 notice and said that in any event

they were required by the Consumer Credit Act to retain data about my application for a card.

I agreed but said that requirement does not extend to the security information that I told them to delete.

They said they would investigate the breach ... we take security very seriously blah blah...

7 weeks on (they said they needed 8 weeks to investigate)

mbna have never contacted me to ask what account was hacked or when..

. .so much for a rigorous investigation.

We are in a standoff.

I've told them they are responsible for the breach of the account

(note my bank account which they also have but doesn't share that password was not hacked).

To date they have not deleted my security information.

I am ready to take them on but am thinking of not basing my case on the Section 10 notice as it probably mean

I am not eligible to be heard in the small claims track.

I'll mention it but not seek remedy under it and I am hoping the ico will tell them to delete the data.

something to be wary of if you ever abandon an application with a financial institution.

I applied for an mbna credit card.

They demanded 3 months bank statements I asked why. They said to verify your income.

I said the agency I work through will certify my income, they insisted on the bank statements.

I said I wasn't prepared to hand over bank statements as I didn't need the credit and it was not worth it just for airmiles.

Because mbna upfront the obtaining of security information

I was now in a position where they had the same security information as the other credit card I have

(same password, mothers maiden name) plus they had all the account details.

Yes I said the same password, for me it is the lesser evil than having several passwords

that I now have to write down (which to me is a worse security risk).

When I called mbna to terminate my application they took me through security

in the course of which the operator repeated to me my entire password.

Now to my understanding they are not supposed to know this and it is an obvious security risk if they do.

I am accustomed to a bank accomplishing security checks by asking for certain characters of my password.

I pointed out that as I had terminated the application it was unacceptable for them to retain my security information and they should delete it.

That was 6 months ago.

Since then I have written and been sent responses where they have asked me to call.

When I call I am told that they want me to go through security and I tell them I'm not doing that because they shouldn't have that information.

So they have had a formal complaint and a Section 10 notice asking them to delete my information.

In the complaint I said I believed their security was lax and not competently administered a

nd put me at risk as they were holding the same information as other financial institutions who I do hold accounts with.

I wrote this letter at the end of April.

In July while I was abroad

I was alerted that somebody had obtained my password and attempted to access my credit card account online,

consequently my card had been cancelled and I would have to change m my password.

I rely totally on credit cards while abroad so was left more or less financially stranded by this.

In August mbna produced their letter full of regret and tell the ombudsman if you're not satisfied.

I told them that things had moved on - my account had been hacked

which was exactly the consequence I had warned them of and they were being held responsible.

I also told them they had not responded to the section 10 notice.

They replied denying receipt of the section 10 notice and said that in any event

they were required by the Consumer Credit Act to retain data about my application for a card.

I agreed but said that requirement does not extend to the security information that I told them to delete.

They said they would investigate the breach ... we take security very seriously blah blah...

7 weeks on (they said they needed 8 weeks to investigate)

mbna have never contacted me to ask what account was hacked or when..

. .so much for a rigorous investigation.

We are in a standoff.

I've told them they are responsible for the breach of the account

(note my bank account which they also have but doesn't share that password was not hacked).

To date they have not deleted my security information.

I am ready to take them on but am thinking of not basing my case on the Section 10 notice as it probably mean

I am not eligible to be heard in the small claims track.

I'll mention it but not seek remedy under it and I am hoping the ico will tell them to delete the data.

something to be wary of if you ever abandon an application with a financial institution.

Are you after advice, or making a statement rather than a question?

If for advice / a question : do you intend to listen to / take advice (potential respondees may wish to check out mere's other threads, closed by the site team as not assisting anyone, where mere argued with all advice given, leading to people wondering why they had actually posted .....)

For confirmation, the threads are

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?434574-Forgot-my-railcard-discussion-thread&p=4629007#post4629007 and

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?434150-Small-vs-Train-company-to-overturn-Unpaid-Fare-Notice&p=4625379#post4625379

If for advice that you are willing to listen to/ take : ("For starters") Did you send your section 10 request by a trackable service, or if not did you get proof of posting?