Tomlin Order Exit

Chipmeister
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again,

I currently have a debt in place which is being dealt with via a Tomlin Order.

The debt was originally with a credit card company and the Tomlin Order instructs me to make monthly payments to their solicitors. The debt has since been sold on but my monthly payments are still made to the credit card company’s solicitors (who also act for the debt purchaser) in accordance with the Tomlin Order. I can see the balance outstanding decreasing each month on my credit report.

Every now and again the solicitors will contact me to advise that the debt purchaser wants to conclude the matter and offer me a settlement figure. Each time I remind them that the Tomlin Order is in place and to beggar off.

I am now potentially in a position to pay the debt off in full but from my research into case law I have discovered that a Tomlin Order can't be varied unless one of the terms within it expressly states that it may. If that doesn't exist (and it doesn't in mine) then the court can only concern themselves with what the order actually states. The order was agreed in my local court and it seems clear that a variation cannot be proposed.

Is there any way I can apply to the court to end the Tomlin Order and replace it with a new agreement on the basis that I am in a position to pay the full amount due and request that my credit record be updated accordingly? If so, would all the original parties have be contacted as well as the new owner of the debt? Chances are the purchasers aren’t even aware the debt has a Tomlin Order attached to it as the solicitors seem to forget on a regular basis, and they’re the people who drew it up.

If no application can be made to effectively cancel the original order and replace it, presumably I’ll just have to suck it up for next four years which I would happily have done had I not suddenly found myself in a position to clear the debt.

On this basis, when all agreed payments have been made will my local court be notified that all aspects of the Tomlin Order have been complied with? If so, who is responsible for notifying them, the solicitors or me? Or does the order simply complete and the court assumes that terms have been complied with as no one has re-activated the case?

Many thanks for any insights provided!

All the best,

Chipmeister

Interesting question. I will ask one of the site team if they have any ideas.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Here you go.. HTH

The Tomlin Order ends...if a F&F settlement is agreed with the claimants Sol and paid...that is the end of the matter...the only other court involvement is if a breach has occurred or the terms needs to be changed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

BCOBS