creditor after money after an agreememt

boody
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Several years ago I got into debt. With the help of the CAB I went into agreements with my creditors.after ashort period of times I was able to pay off my debt. All my credits were contacted and asked for a settlement figure. I then paid off the debt. This was 4 years ago. Recently one of the creditors, American Express through a collection agency is now asking for th rest of the balance, despite them agreeing to a settlememt figure. A collection company has started calling my new employer. I have refused to answer there first question confirming my date of birth and told them to send ke a letter, to which I have recieved nothing.

can a creditor come after the balance difference 4 years later after a settlement fee was paid? I have kept all paper work and agreements. And how would they get my new employers phone number? It seems the calls come from India.

Thank you for any help

Send the prove it letter to the DCA as well as the harassment letter. Both can be found in the CAG library under debt collection.

If you have the settlement letter that states that the debt is now fulfilled, then send a copy of it with the 2 letters. NOT the original.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The short answer is if you had a legally binding settlement agreement then no they cant.

As soon as you said a call from India alarm bells started ringing sounds like a [problem] and if as you say you have kept all supporting documents then ignore them.

Do not get into any conversation over the phone tell them nothing, insist everything is sent to you in writing, they will soon back off. As for getting numbers thats pretty simple i am afraid.

Good Luck

John

Do you know which collection company it is? New CONC rules make it very clear that contacting a third party is unlawful.

Have you got any evidence that they are trying to make these contacts?

The company that calls are called CMS, I have been recording the calls in a note book

Is CMS actually chasing the alleged debt or are the searching for you, one of its specialities is tracing services?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Is CMS actually chasing the alleged debt or are the searching for you, one of its specialities is tracing services?

They are chasing the alleged debt.however I will not give out my details over the phone so the coversation ends. I have told them to write to me so I can pass the letter to my solicitor. However no letters have come.