Oyster doesn't always charge the right fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you have an Oyster season ticket, you can also have funds for Pay as you go journeys outside your zones. An annual season ticket also acts as a 'gold card', giving 1/3 off train fares outside your zones (across SE England) after 10am on weekdays, and all day at weekends and bank holidays. After going outside my zones (1-3), I received an email from TFL saying I needed to get the discount 'activated' at a staffed Oyster sales point to get the discount when staying inside the Oyster area (going outside, you need to buy a paper ticket in advance). I did so, and complained to TFL.

I also pointed out their adverts about Oyster charging the correct fare were therefore false. As they only keep records for six weeks, they also credited me £15 for past overcharging (I had asked for previous journeys to have the discount applied).

If you think that this is an issue, try an FOI request to find out the scale of the problem

Last year tfl made £69 million in maximum fares (when oyster validation fails at entry or exit).

Have they given any of this money back?

NO!

Best option is always a paper ticket if you buy a season.

For journeys outside your season ticket unfortunately oyster cards are cheaper.

My rail company has stopped selling oyster, I go to a tube station to get my annual ticket on oyster. Although if Boris gets his way, that'll be difficult. I often order tickets online and pick them up from the ticket machine at my local station (the option is there, depending on the rail company you need to rder 15 minutes or two hours before collection), this gets the discount -and you can order from the edge of your zone, saving a bit more (from Wimbledon to Southampton instead of from Waterloo if you have a zones 1-3 travelcard, saves another pound or two).

This means checking train times twice (the journey from wimbledon may suggest changing at Woking, you just get the direct train). Also be careful of times - travel after 10am on weekdays to get 1/3 off.

However, the 2for1 offers on attractions if you travel by public transport only apply to travellers with paper tickets. No good if you go by oyster. I haven't tried booking on Oyster to use the tube outside zones 1-3.