• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also, make a note of everything you and they are doing. Incase you need to inform the regulators or even take them to court for harassment.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i took my son out to a friends house this afternoon to return to another note through the letterbox instructing me to call asap, i think i will carry out my threat of contacting the ombudsman to complain at least, not really sure how to make a harassment claim though, i guess through the police, but sounds a bit silly and i dont know the legal outlines on this

nah. With a harassment claim, you need full proof of what they are doing, all logs and proof you told them not to call you. Then you can make a claim against them, or if youre rich, through the high court.

As an example, see harrison vs link. There are other cases, but i cant remember their names off hand.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

ok i have all missed calls kept in my phone, including the 14 since i requested no more. i have actually gone to the bother of having my landline number changed. and saved the little notes posted through my letterbox too. I will keep this ongoing log then. i fully intend to pay the 20 pound on Tuesday if they accept or not is another issue.

They cannot refuse to accept it.

ok..progress report,

had a visit last Saturday from my local store manager saying that brighthouse don't accept repayment plans

because its a hire purchase agreement and that the store had not received my letter

and that brighthouse don't deal with letters anyway.

he offered to extend my tv from 35 weeks remaining to 70 weeks to reduce the payment on that item.

and to offer me a reduced sofa option.

reluctantly and probably stupidly I verbally agreed to this RE-WRITE on my doorstep.

In the meantime i have being trying to sort out my benefit but i can only get 23 pound per week JSA

as i am on the 4 week role on period for working tax credits.

I received a 90 pound working tax payment today which was a fair bit lower than i was expecting

and 46 pound tomorrow for JSA.

..now any payment to BH to re-write the agreement would take roughly 60 percent of my money

and have not paid today as i agreed,

i got the knock at the door at 6pm saying my sofas are to be collected where i refused to acknowledge the demand.

and i was told i am TAKING THE ****! and making things worse for my self and have til 10 am tomorrow morning to pay.

I think me agreeing to re-writes etc has made things worse as i will be going into the 5th week of arrears and getting nowhere,

they wont accept part payments or repayment plans,

and any full benefit entitlement is still 2-3 weeks away.

i can pay the amount tomorrow but should I ?

advice please as thing are getting rather desperate.

Forget teh rewrite and pay what you can realistically afford. Not what the store manager says.

Infact i would be forming a full complaint as the store manager turned up unannounced at your home, and began to harass/intimidate you.

PAY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD. tHEY CANNOT REFUSE TO ACCEPT MONEY TOWARDS A DEBT OWING.

They can refuse a repayment plan, but it wouldnt look very good at all if they tried to reclaim the goods or start court action when you are sitting there with a full I&E as well as payment ready for them to take, but they are refusing.

ok thanks renegadeimp

i will save all monies i offered as part of a weekly repayment into my arrears.

i have official letters from DWP and inland revenue stating my current benefit circumstances

do i produce copies for BH to show i am not making this up?

I personally think it is none of their business but i am willing to show anything which supports my situation.

My full JSA entitlement does not start until week starting 23rd June so anything resembling a near full payment i wont receive until 28th June

which means a total of 3 weeks x 20 pound will be available plus a full fortnightly payment on that date

i think this is a fair offer but i feel things are going to get alot worse in the coming days.

Make sure you keep sending them a letter to start the repayment plan, and either save the money or take it to the shop with the account number and tell them to put it to the account. If they don't, then its their issue. They would be refusing to accept a valid payment towards an outstanding debt owed.

Also of note, do not show them any deep Income and outgoings, such as a full list of creditors/bank statements/wage slips etc, or aa full JSA letter. At the most, they can have a simplified budget summary and a quick letter from your JSA advisor confirming you are on it.

If they try to harass and intimidate you, get reporting and complaining to everyone who will listen. Even your MP if you have to.

and next time that person comes to your door film him.

tell him straight that you are in serious financial difficulty

and that , as they should under industry rules/guidelines .. help you.

hows the reclaiming going?

don't forget to keep banging the drum that you want all those refunded and at their int rate

everytime you converse with them.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

things got heated today, silly me had a fall and damaged my shoulder thus needed to go to A and E for x ray.

.in meantime store manager calls my home and speaks to my wife,

he tells my wife that if no contact or payment was made by 9 30 Monday morning the collections team are coming for all our stuff

and does not believe a word that comes out of my mouth and that i am a liar, this again upset my wife.

On my return from hospital i angrily called the store, stating that he has no right speaking to my wife in that manner, i did swear oops.

i again stated my financial situation and again made my offer of interim smaller payments into arrears, this was completely refused.

Now have been told to stump up 150 Tuesday to then HELP reduce my weekly payment by 30 pound?

I am attending the store Tuesday not with 150 but with my original 20 pound weekly offer into the arrears.

This is now taking over my life,

other creditors have been reasonable and are accepting my current situation

but BH are relentless and i know what they can and cannot do,

but living this way is awful.

Time to get a full report to the regulators, a complaint to the CEO and consider action for harassment.

things got heated today, silly me had a fall and damaged my shoulder thus needed to go to A and E for x ray.

he tells my wife that if no contact or payment was made by 9 30 Monday morning the collections team are coming for all our stuff

and does not believe a word that comes out of my mouth and that i am a liar, this again upset my wife.

On my return from hospital i angrily called the store, stating that he has no right speaking to my wife in that manner, i did swear oops.

i again stated my financial situation and again made my offer of interim smaller payments into arrears, this was completely refused.

Now have been told to stump up 150 Tuesday to then HELP reduce my weekly payment by 30 pound?

I am attending the store Tuesday not with 150 but with my original 20 pound weekly offer into the arrears.

HI there,

Dont let them bully you! they can not do anything to you,

if they do not take the £20 of you just say ok i'll note it down that i offered you it!

but you said no, and then walk out of the shop,

if anyone comes to your house just tell them to go away,

and next time they phone you tell them you know your rights!

and if they wish to talk to you tell them to do it by letter only,

this should stop them from calling,

Hi Grahamroo

I am sorry to hear that you still seem to be having difficulties with resolving this matter with your local store.

I would like to assure you that there’s a lot we can do to help and we will work with you to find a solution that fits with your circumstances. To assist with this, I kindly request that you contact our customer relations team quoting your reference F0701771 as previously advised in my initial post. This will help us to locate your account details and we can also escalate any additional concerns you may have to a Regional Manager if required.

I note that you have advised that you have sent written correspondence regarding your concerns and I would also be happy to look into this further in order to confirm your options to help get you back on track.

If you would rather send written correspondence, please email customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk, however, do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 526 069 if you would rather speak to someone about this and we will be happy to help.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

Official complaint and another offer of interim payments were sent Monday Registered post to both my local store and Head Office, i have had confirmation e mail of the letter received to head office from the brighthouse web relations team whom i thank for getting me confirmation. Also had communication with FCA who were helpful and gave me timescales etc of how to pursue matters but cannot become involved in individual disputes, but i thought it be worth to make them aware of my problems and have a case reference with them.

Things have been quiet this week so far as my letters requested no further phone calls, and so far that has been respected, but is this the calm before the storm? or no news is good news?

Lets wait and see. Meanwhile get everything together incase you need to take further action

Official complaint and another offer of interim payments were sent Monday Registered post to both my local store and Head Office, i have had confirmation e mail of the letter received to head office from the brighthouse web relations team whom i thank for getting me confirmation. Also had communication with FCA who were helpful and gave me timescales etc of how to pursue matters but cannot become involved in individual disputes, but i thought it be worth to make them aware of my problems and have a case reference with them.

Things have been quiet this week so far as my letters requested no further phone calls, and so far that has been respected, but is this the calm before the storm? or no news is good news?

nice! can not wait to see what they do,

i managed to return my sofas today, so that's one less headache and i received a notice if sums in arrears for my items in the post, where i find the amount in arrears on the front page for the hire purchase then addition on page 2 i am shown to be in arrears on dlc and osc plus late fees!!

I still have had no written confirmation of acknowledgement of my letters or been informed that my complaints are being looked into, the e mail i received from the FCA said i should at least get a speedy reply that my problems are being investigated so i am still in the dark there, but still silent on the phone calls that i am very pleased about.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly 4 weeks have passed now I have no recognition of my complaint or that it is even being looked into even though i understand 8 weeks is the usual limit but not having any confirmation of having received my letters does not seem good practice.

I have had no more visits to my home or any phone calls to my landline which is pleasing but in the last couple of weeks a few calls have been made to my mobile which sounds like from a call center if they have such things, again i stated my position but was fed the same BS my local store was talking about, now i ignore that number.

My items i have remaining are nearly paid for into the last 33 weeks, it seemed all they were interested in was the new sofa i had which was returned by my own wishes, sad thing was the sofa they needed back so badly was dragged across my driveway and dragged into the van like it was junk, probably now unable for re sale without repairing.

do i sit and wait for response or do i send another letter re stating my situation?

Hi grahamroo,

If you have logged a formal complaint, you should have received an acknowledgement letter confirming that we have received your complaint.

If you have not received any correspondence, please can you email customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk quoting your reference F0701771. Please also include in your email your account details (account name, address, store the account is with).

Once we have located your account, we will be able to provide an update and send out any correspondence that you may not have received with regards to your complaint.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

Hi grahamroo,

If you have logged a formal complaint, you should have received an acknowledgement letter confirming that we have received your complaint.

If you have not received any correspondence, please can you email customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk quoting your reference F0701771. Please also include in your email your account details (account name, address, store the account is with).

Once we have located your account, we will be able to provide an update and send out any correspondence that you may not have received with regards to your complaint.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

Hello Jason,

It appears that grahamroo has already done what you've requested above.

As quote from this thread:

i have had confirmation e mail of the letter received to head office from the brighthouse web relations team whom i thank for getting me confirmation

So it appears the information you ask for above is information you already have.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Am I not right in thinking that is a huge breach of the Data Protection Act?

not really same household/wife

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...